Greetings from Victoria Australia

Nevermind Ranch

New user here on fountain pen network. I live in Country Victoria, Australia.
Got back into fountain pens this year after noticing how bad my handwriting had gotten.

Im quickly developing an addiction to ink, more so than the pens. I particularly enjoy vintage Waterman's & B or M TWSBI Diamond 580's.

Hoping to meet some like minded pen friends here, and learn more about pens & inks.

Thanks for reading & enjoy your day :)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nevermind Ranch

• A Smug Dill

• Newjelan

• Bisquitlips

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Hello and welcome to this friendly corner of the fountain pen universe from a pen user in San Diego. There is such a wealth of information for you to discover here. Write On!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Welcome, fellow Aussie!

On 12/14/2020 at 4:34 PM, Nevermind Ranch said:

Im quickly developing an addiction to ink, more so than the pens.

You gotta be careful with that.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/230595-how-do-you-display-your-inks/?do=findComment&comment=4327617

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

40 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Wow, thats awesome. I can only dream of having a collection of ink that impressive.
Looks like you have good organisation for them all too. Do you source inks here in Australia or order then from o/seas ?

3 hours ago, Nevermind Ranch said:

Do you source inks here in Australia or order then from o/seas ?

>90% of my bottle ink were ordered and sent from overseas sources. There are few retailers that offer inks at prices that are within +10%–20% of what it would cost me to order overseas (inclusive of GST, if collected, and shipping if additionally charged).

I can't remember the last time I bought a bottle of ink from an Australian retailer or seller, outside of Amazon AU, and had to look up my archived email to find any record; it was mid-2019. Milligram used to have special offers on some De Atramentis, Kobe INK Story, Pilot Iroshizuku and Robert Oster inks from time to time, but that all dried up since probably before the pandemic.

Peter's of Kensington offers Monteverde ink ten-bottle gift sets at very good prices, especially when a 10% (typically in January, upon re-opening for trade after the Christmas break) or even 20% (via its eBay store, but much rarer these days) discount is in play.

Amazon AU sells a few inks at reasonable prices; it has been offering Waterman Serenity Blue (but only that colour) at $8 a bottle — which is as low as I've seen domestically, and the other source at that price would be Peter's of Kensington (for all colours), but I'd have to pick up from the store myself to avoid a $9 delivery charge — for several months now, and I also bought some Monteverde Horizon Blue in an odd cylindrical ‘portable’ 50ml bottle/tube for it. However, I've ordered quite a few bottles via Amazon AU that were sold by Amazon US or Amazon UK; you can get 90ml of Monteverde Horizon Blue sold by Amazon UK at about the same price as the 50ml product sold by Amazon AU, and both are Prime free delivery eligible. Noodler's Ink? I definitely recommend looking on Amazon AU (for what is sold by Amazon US), although the prices for individual colours do fluctuate between $20–$35 a lot.

Do keep in mind that both Amazon US and Amazon UK do a relatively poor job of packaging bottled ink for shipping, and it takes some luck to receive what you ordered in good condition given the lack of appropriate protection. However, Amazon is usually pretty good at refunding orders when there is damage in transit. I ordered a one-litre bottle of Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black sold by Amazon UK for less than $55 delivered; and because it arrived with some (minor) leakage and the plastic bottle showing signs of having been dropped on its corner (with a small dent looking like an inverted human nipple), Amazon refunded the order. Two out of six bottles of Noodler's arrived from the US with broken lids, and they too were refunded in full, without my having to pack and ship the residue ink (>95% of the volume) back at Amazon's expense. It's frustrating that they don't do a better job at shipping, but I did get a lot of ‘free’ ink (by volume) out of taking a chance nevertheless.

Whereas I never had a problem with packing, or damage in transit, ordering ink from Cult Pens in the UK and La Couronne du Comte in the Netherlands in spite of ‘free’ international shipping. PenGallery in Malaysia, too, but it raised the free shipping threshold from ~$200 to ~$285 over several steps in the past twelve months.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Thanks for those tips, i'll definitely check out Amazon & La C du C.

I've only bought from a couple of AUST retailers to date, as I can only place small orders, and it was cheaper when factoring in INTL post.  I took advantage of Fountain pen Day & Black friday sales - got 2 X Sailor Manyo @ $27 each from one & a colorverse box & a couple of robert osters from the other.

I placed one order with cult pens, which came as free shipping for an order over 70GPB, as long as you stayed under a weight limit. I got 4 X 80ml diamine & 8 X 30ml's & a J Herbin 1670 plus a couple of of the pilot parallel pens. I hope to place another of those orders soon.

Do you do the same for pen purchases ?

3 minutes ago, Nevermind Ranch said:

Do you do the same for pen purchases ?

I don't think I've bought a fountain pen (other than from Daiso) in Australia since picking a couple of new Pilot Capless Décimo pens up from Peter's of Kensington's clearance tray in-store for <$100 apiece, back in January 2014? 2015?

Regarding buying (only) inks from Cult Pens, yes, that can be a bit of a game or challenge in itself. I placed an order earlier in August with 35 bottles of Diamine ink that just snuck under the weight limit for free shipping by Royal Mail.

Welcome from Missouri!  Glad to have you with us!

:W2FPN:

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2020 at 4:34 PM, Nevermind Ranch said:

New user here on fountain pen network. I live in Country Victoria, Australia.
Got back into fountain pens this year after noticing how bad my handwriting had gotten.

Im quickly developing an addiction to ink, more so than the pens. I particularly enjoy vintage Waterman's & B or M TWSBI Diamond 580's.

Hoping to meet some like minded pen friends here, and learn more about pens & inks.

Thanks for reading & enjoy your day :)

Welcome neighbour! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 12:43 PM, Newjelan said:

Welcome neighbour! 

Nice to see another Aussie on here, thanks for the welcome :)

Greetings from the North of England - short, dark, snowy days at the moment. It's some years since I was in Victoria but I loved it. All that sunshine. Post-virus maybe I'll get to do more travelling. And then the question arises: which pens to take? How many of them? And what about inks?? And then there's notebooks. Well, life is never easy, decisions, decisions...

One thing about the FPN is the level of expertise out there. Whatever you need to know about, find, repair etc - someone will know the answer.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/22/2021 at 2:40 PM, Nevermind Ranch said:

Nice to see another Aussie on here, thanks for the welcome :)

Not just another Aussie but also from “the ‘rat”... 😊

Welcome! I’m also developing a bit of an addiction to ink samples in particular, I just want to try them all! Jeje. 

• 1 month later...