PenBBS Jowo & Bock Nib Swap Compatibility List

penzel_washinkton

So, was wondering if there is a list of the PenBBS pens that is compatible with Jowo & Bock No.6 nibs (stock nib length and not using 3rd party housing).

Below are the pen models and their compatibility as far as I know (or looked online), please correct the listed information if there are any inaccuracies:

PenBBS 267 - Compatible

PenBBS 268 - Compatible

PenBBS 308 - Not Compatible

PenBBS 309 - Compatible

PenBBS 350 - Compatible

PenBBS 352 - Compatible

PenBBS 355 V1 & V2 - Not Compatible

PenBBS 380 - ?

PenBBS 456 - Compatible

PenBBS 469 - Mixed Reviews*

PenBBS 471 - Compatible

PenBBS 480 - Compatible

PenBBS 486 - ?

PenBBS 487 - ?

PenBBS 492 - ?

PenBBS 500 - Not Compatible**

* Heard it fits really tight, other response saying it fits with no problems

** From experience, need verification from other users on this one

Just trying to make a condensed list to ensure others don't make mistakes that I did (bent 2 Jowo nibs) and the information isn't scattered all over the place.

Hopefully the other users can share their experience in their nib swapping ventures with PenBBS here.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• penzel_washinkton

• A Smug Dill

• Karmachanic

• effrafax

5 hours ago, penzel_washinkton said:

So, was wondering if there is a definitive list of the PenBBS pens that is compatible with Jowo & Bock No.6 nibs (stock nib length and not using 3rd party housing).

I doubt it, if PenBBS itself is not producing and publishing such a list based on its technical specifications of record for each pen model. Any such list otherwise produced would be anecdotal/hearsay with questionable statistical significance and reliability.

Just trying to make a condensed list to ensure others don't make mistakes that I did (bent 2 Jowo nibs)

I think making mistakes is a key part of how we learn as risk-taking tinkerers who refuse to be content with what is available and sold as-is, and refuse to live with commercial products' limitations if they cramp our style or stop us from getting better value for money we fancy we deserve.

I wrecked a Nemosine #6 F nib (after taking a lot of time to regrind it in the first place, too) putting it into a PenBBS 355 Mark II. For those hobbyists who really want the PenBBS 355 for the ink capacity, filling system and/or style, but insists on using a JoWo or Bock nib they will fit onto the pen by self-service, I certain don't want them to stop wanting or trying to overcome the challenge, whatever it costs them as consumers.

PenBBS 308 - Not Compatible

 ⋮

Hopefully the other users can share their experience in their nib swapping ventures with PenBBS here.

The Nemosine #6 nibs made by JoWo fit my PenBBS 308(-20SF light blue ‘Glaze’ demonstrator) just fine; there is sufficient headroom in the cap that I can see. That's another data point for you; but I think it only makes the compatibility list less ‘definitive’.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

4 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I doubt it, if PenBBS itself is not producing and publishing such a list based on its technical specifications of record for each pen model. Any such list otherwise produced would be anecdotal/hearsay with questionable statistical significance and reliability.

I mean sure, probably definitive is too strong of a word. Let's just say more of a "guide" rather than a definitive list. Original post has been edited to suit. The intention is not making the most accurate list here and why I limited the scope of the nib swap to only stock Jowo / Bock #6 nib.

I think making mistakes is a key part of how we learn as risk-taking tinkerers who refuse to be content with what is available and sold as-is, and refuse to live with commercial products' limitations if they cramp our style or stop us from getting better value for money we fancy we deserve.

I wrecked a Nemosine #6 F nib (after taking a lot of time to regrind it in the first place, too) putting it into a PenBBS 355 Mark II. For those hobbyists who really want the PenBBS 355 for the ink capacity, filling system and/or style, but insists on using a JoWo or Bock nib they will fit onto the pen by self-service, I certain don't want them to stop wanting or trying to overcome the challenge, whatever it costs them as consumers.

I understand from where you are thinking but disagree at the same time. Not everyone has the cash to burn especially one Jowo / Bock nib isn't cheap like the Jinhao nibs. Not everyone wants to tinker / experiment with nibs and this guide at least might help those that is looking for a concentrated information instead of looking all over the place.

The Nemosine #6 nibs made by JoWo fit my PenBBS 308(-20SF light blue ‘Glaze’ demonstrator) just fine; there is sufficient headroom in the cap that I can see. That's another data point for you; but I think it only makes the compatibility list less ‘definitive’.

Again, I stated in the post that stock unmodified Jowo / Bock #6 nib is considered here. Nemosine are made by Jowo but they are not stock Jowo nibs. Nevertheless, I still appreciate your input for the Nemosine nib compatibility.

1 hour ago, penzel_washinkton said:

Again, I stated in the post that stock unmodified Jowo / Bock #6 nib is considered here. Nemosine are made by Jowo but they are not stock Jowo nibs. Nevertheless, I still appreciate your input for the Nemosine nib compatibility.

I thought Nemosine nibs to be merely rebranded Jowo, with standard Jowo geomerty. Not so?

Add lightness and simplicate.

The 308 can be hit or miss with clearance inside the cap.  Some people have no problem with stock Jowo or Bock nibs fitting, others have both hit the inside top of the cap.  I have five 308s and personally had mixed results.

#1 only the stock nib fits and neither a Jowo or Bock will fit.

#2 Both a Bock and Jowo fit fine regardless of the tip size.

#3, 4 & 5 any tip size of Bock and only a Jowo stub will fit.

In all cases where a Bock or Jowo nib fits it's generally a matter of the thickness of 1 or  2 sheets of paper between the nib tip & inside of the cap.  This seems to be more of an issue with inconsistencies in the production of the pen rather than the nibs. 

On 12/14/2020 at 5:44 PM, Karmachanic said:

I thought Nemosine nibs to be merely rebranded Jowo, with standard Jowo geomerty. Not so?

Might be but I wouldn't call a nib that has a unique engraving on the nib a stock Jowo. About the geometry I cannot confirm, as per Smug Dill

22 hours ago, MadAsAHatter said:

The 308 can be hit or miss with clearance inside the cap.  Some people have no problem with stock Jowo or Bock nibs fitting, others have both hit the inside top of the cap.  I have five 308s and personally had mixed results.

#1 only the stock nib fits and neither a Jowo or Bock will fit.

#2 Both a Bock and Jowo fit fine regardless of the tip size.

#3, 4 & 5 any tip size of Bock and only a Jowo stub will fit.

In all cases where a Bock or Jowo nib fits it's generally a matter of the thickness of 1 or  2 sheets of paper between the nib tip & inside of the cap.  This seems to be more of an issue with inconsistencies in the production of the pen rather than the nibs. 

Thanks for the input! I might have to change the compatibility for 308 to mixed reviews hopefully we can have more confirmation before I commit in changing the compatibility status.

I am getting a 487 in a couple of weeks and have a 492 in hand but am kind of hesitant of a risk of sacrificing another Jowo nib.

Extremely useful discussion, Penzel, and thank you. 

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

18 hours ago, penzel_washinkton said:

Might be but I wouldn't call a nib that has a unique engraving on the nib a stock Jowo. About the geometry I cannot confirm, as per Smug Dil

Not trying to be argumentative, just clear. Your original criteria: (stock nib length and not using 3rd party housing). Nemosine fits the bill.

Add lightness and simplicate.

On 12/17/2020 at 2:46 AM, Karmachanic said:

Your original criteria: (stock nib length and not using 3rd party housing). Nemosine fits the bill.

Thank you!

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

On 12/15/2020 at 1:39 PM, penzel_washinkton said:

getting a 487 in a couple of weeks and have a 492 in hand but am kind of hesitant of a risk of sacrificing another Jowo nib.

I've wrecked many a nib and housing so I think sharing what works is helpful.

Not for the official list, but for others allowing for a 3rd party feed: The Jowo/PenBBS one from FNF really does work on both 487 and 355 so that is reassuring. I was thinking on getting another FNF feed for the Jowo in my better half's BAMF but alas no need to mess with perfection! 😆

On 12/16/2020 at 10:46 PM, Karmachanic said:

Not trying to be argumentative, just clear. Your original criteria: (stock nib length and not using 3rd party housing). Nemosine fits the bill.

Yes, I can see the intentions and I appreciate it. To be fair though when I say a stock Jowo #6 nib or a stock Bock #6 nib, a Nemosine nib isn't the first thing that came to mind is it? So for the sake of clarity and to avoid any miscommunications:

This list is applicable for only stock Jowo / Bock #6 nibs : Standard nib length, not using 3rd party nib housing & not a rebrand of the Jowo / Bock #6 nibs.

I might give an update specifically for Nemosine nibs in this case since many here actually tried swapping it out with their nibs (and I have some in stock if I want to try to swap in).

On 12/16/2020 at 10:38 PM, bobjpage said:

Extremely useful discussion, Penzel, and thank you. 

Thanks! Won't be an easy job I think but I could at least try since I found this information rather quite all over the place on the web.

16 hours ago, peroride said:

I've wrecked many a nib and housing so I think sharing what works is helpful.

Not for the official list, but for others allowing for a 3rd party feed: The Jowo/PenBBS one from FNF really does work on both 487 and 355 so that is reassuring. I was thinking on getting another FNF feed for the Jowo in my better half's BAMF but alas no need to mess with perfection! 😆

Thanks for the info, I have heard that the FNF works beautifully and is just a foolproof solution of all this risk of Jowo nibs wreckage.

I have a 469 with a stock Jowo 1.1mm stub on one end, no problems.

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

• 2 weeks later...

Penbbs 487 and Penbbs 492 - Compatible with Bock.

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

• 8 months later...

Hello, 

as far as I know, the Jowo nib has a slightly downside-bent shape. And because of that reason, I bought a suitable feeder-housing-set for Jowo nib from Flexible Nib Factory, which I installed in my PenBBS 355. 

Do you mean with "compatible" that the Jowo nib can be installed with the PenBBS feeder? 

Edited by Susukang
I confused Flexible Nib Factory with FPnibs.com

• 1 year later...

RE the PenBBS 469, It has been noted that it is a tight fit for a Jowo or Bock #6 in terms of the allowable length inside the cap. I am wondering if anyone has a Jowo or Bock stub nib that they would be able to compare to its normal-length counterpart; the construction of a stub nib might have a slightly shorter length. If anybody does this, let me know. If not, I am expecting to test this for myself in within the next few months--I just have to find an attractive pen with a Jowo #6 nib to buy.

My main complaint with the 469 is that it has a rather dry ink flow, which doesn't really suit my needs for it as my daily writer. I love having the 2 different inks in one place, but after much trying, it's really not going to work for me without a wetter flow.

Song of the week: “Someday” (One Republic)

If your car has them, make sure to change your timing belts every 80-100,000 miles. (Or shorter if specified in the manual)

• 8 months later...

I was able to physically fit a Jowo in the PenBBS 456 and 487. There are just enough clearance in both.

Both pens with different Jowo nibs leaked when filled with ink though. Oddly enough, no leaks with water. Tried a bunch of different feeds and housing from my PenBBS parts kit. Same result unfortunately.