Tohma Pens

25_15_3

Website: https://pencluster.com/category/hand_made_pen/tohma/

Anyone else order a Tohma pen as of late? He's been taking online orders late this year.

I didn't have a chance to inquire at his physical storefront 2 years ago in Tokyo, so I'm glad he's opening up online orders.

I was lucky enough to snag a KB nib while he was taking orders for it. Still waiting on delivery, which he quoted as 3 months make time. I should be getting the pen around the end of January or early February.

While his pens are predominately JP ED, Tohma has been experimenting with order filling mechanisms like a snorkel-esque one which you can view on his instagram.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Sblakers

• hawpunch

• Karmachanic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have the Tohma on left currently on order.  When I saw that nib I couldn't help myself!  I was also quoted about three months.  One month down, two to go!

spacer.png

On 12/13/2020 at 6:11 PM, Mew said:

I should have one by end of this month or early next month. Carbon fibre Kumataka with M nib. 

Congrats! I have been looking at Tohma pens for a while but have never had the overwhelming desire to pull the trigger, especially since I have two Hakases, a Montblanc 149 with custom urushi/raden work and a Pelikan Maki-e fountain pen in my collection right now. Would love to hear your opinions once you get the pen :).

On 12/13/2020 at 12:04 PM, whichwatch said:

I have the Tohma on left currently on order.  When I saw that nib I couldn't help myself!  I was also quoted about three months.  One month down, two to go!

spacer.png

Please credit my photo next time you use one. Or maybe I just can't see it from my phone.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

1 hour ago, hawpunch said:

Congrats! I have been looking at Tohma pens for a while but have never had the overwhelming desire to pull the trigger, especially since I have two Hakases, a Montblanc 149 with custom urushi/raden work and a Pelikan Maki-e fountain pen in my collection right now. Would love to hear your opinions once you get the pen :).

Rhe nib is completely different than any of your other pens. I asked for a soft nib and it is indeed that. Maybe not a brush, but a unique writing experience.

Hakase is ultra smooth. The 149 nibs are my favorite production nibs in 03B. The m800 nibs are great but the m1000 nibs I'm not fond of. You would get something different with a Tohma nib. 

1 hour ago, zaddick said:

Rhe nib is completely different than any of your other pens. I asked for a soft nib and it is indeed that. Maybe not a brush, but a unique writing experience.

Hakase is ultra smooth. The 149 nibs are my favorite production nibs in 03B. The m800 nibs are great but the m1000 nibs I'm not fond of. You would get something different with a Tohma nib. 

Lol. I should have figured you had one in your collection. From the sounds of it, I would not mind having a Tohma in my collection and trying out that soft nib.  Would you say the soft nib is like the Montblanc calligraphy nib in terms of flex and bounce back?

On 12/13/2020 at 10:04 AM, whichwatch said:

spacer.png

Congrats! Enjoy your pen once you get it. That nib is beautiful!

7 hours ago, hawpunch said:

I already have a Tohma, bought back when he wasn’t as popular as he is now. It’s a Kumataka aka-Tamenuri finish with a flex F nib. While the nib can flex to 3B, feed has issues keeping up. Not surprising, since not many modern pens have feeds to keep up with flexing. Other Tohma had a soft nib, which is a joy to write with. 

check them out here: 

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvgfPoUDU-N/?igshid=19omcogqjylh7

https://www.instagram.com/p/Byj2-r_DbKJ/?igshid=1qfq56t4m7q0g

13 hours ago, zaddick said:

Please credit my photo next time you use one. Or maybe I just can't see it from my phone.

Sorry Aaron - I didn't realize it was your photo. I picked it off the internet somewhere when it appeared via a Google search but was unidentified and uncredited.

No problem. I've had my photos used in ads for other people's pens without permission which is misrepresentation. None of that on your part. 

You will like the pen I believe. It will be different than your lovely Nakaya nib collection, maybe closest to the elastic nibs. I look forward to your thoughts. The CS resin should hold up well to use.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had one of these pens near the top of my list since I first found him on Instagram - he really seems to do amazing work, and those nibs are huge. I've also been considering buying an Oldwin Classic in the CS acrylic material he is using. Zaddick - may I ask how the Conway Stewart material on your Tohma looks in person? 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TheTrumpeter said:

That Tohma logo looks like it came straight from the 80s, and not in a good way.

It's not for everyone. Not every pen can be a Pilot custom 823.

2 hours ago, TheTrumpeter said:

That Tohma logo looks like it came straight from the 80s, and not in a good way.

1955 actualy. Frigidaire

Add lightness and simplicate.

8 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

1955 actualy. Frigidaire

more like 1955 linoleum flooring 😁

What a beautiful, gigantic pen!

On 12/14/2020 at 5:04 AM, whichwatch said:

spacer.png

What a beautiful, gigantic pen! I am very curious about that soft nib, made by Kubo-sensei no less! If you can, please do give us a review when you receive your order.

I was especially taken with the demonstrator model (https://www.instagram.com/p/CK6aTR4DNqR/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link).

• 1 month later...

Still waiting on my pen. I did get an update recently - with pictures - about it almost being completed, but there was a defective part. Not sure how long it will take to get resolved. Not in a hurry to receive it, but anxiously waiting.

Anyone get their order yet?

• 2 months later...

Would love to see if there are any updates. I too have ordered a pen but was quoted 6 months. I have 0 patience so this will be tough. At least it’s not 13 months or whatever it is now for Hakase