Hello

MBTaplin

Hello, I'm Bernadette. I'm a retired high school art teacher. I have had fountain pens for most of my life, but have only recently become passionate about them. After years of running 100MPH, I can finally slow down and dive deeper into my interests. I hope to learn from all of you and contribute when I can to helping others. Be safe!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MBTaplin

• Pale.Ink.Tom

• mitto

• OCArt

Hello and Welcome to FPN!! So glad to have you as a member!!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hello and welcome to FPN.

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bernadette, Some of my favourite people in life have been my art teachers. Many became great friends.

I am besotted with writing tools and design and the source of that passion lies somewhere in my love of mark-making. At the moment Lamy stub nib and Koh-i-Noor clutch pencil.

I wonder if you have a fabulous mark-making instrument.

Are you exploring any subject or theme with your own art at the moment?

Cheers, Gary

πTom

Hello and welcome to this friendly corner of the fountain pen universe from a pen user in San Diego. There is such a wealth of information for you to discover here. Write On!

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/30/2020 at 5:09 PM, Gaudi95 said:

Hi Bernadette, Some of my favourite people in life have been my art teachers. Many became great friends.

I am besotted with writing tools and design and the source of that passion lies somewhere in my love of mark-making. At the moment Lamy stub nib and Koh-i-Noor clutch pencil.

I wonder if you have a fabulous mark-making instrument.

Are you exploring any subject or theme with your own art at the moment?

Cheers, Gary

Hi Gary! Thank you for the kind words. I do love my students, many are friends well after graduation. I haven't dripped my toes in Lamy. But I did fall hard for fountain pens. I have every means of making a mark at my disposal, but none have the craftsmanship and beauty of fountain pens. I also have the Kol-i-Noor clutch - great tool. My fountain pens are an 1811 Seagulls on the Stormy Ocean, a few TWSBIS, an Acme (That rusted on the interior. Argh.), the pen we all want to hate... but buy ... Jinhao 750 (for nib swapping). I'm working on a few projects a "Into the Woods" sketchbook and a book of birds and creatures around my home (we live in the woods) and other projects here and there as needed. I try to stay busy creating artwork to protect my sanity. What art are you working on? Is your FP collection huge?

Hi again Bernadette, I hope you are enjoying the community and exploring the site. It goes to show all you need to do is set up a venue and people will come and amaze you with their creativity! I'm aware that I've had first day at school jitters joining FPN. I'm the kid standing near the gate with the other new entrants cos the big kids are a bit intimidating! Haven't ventured much further than the Introduction page. The odd post here and there, (emphasis on odd).

I have a small 'Pride' of pens or 'Bask' of pens? Collective noun for something lying around sunning itself!

I have no significant artifacts to offer the world but have lived in the manner of the 'perennial' art student most of my life.

My journals and workbooks remain the works I'm most proud of. I live very near a famous (in NZ) holiday resort and will, on occasion, bump into previous art tutors. Mmm..and they never show their disappointment bless them!

I didn't recognise some of your pen names but the '1811 Seagulls and Acme' are almost opposite ends of the name spectrum! My collection is a bit opportunist and very eclectic. Vintage and new.

Better save some chat for next time. Don't want to hog to intro forum.

Really hope we catch up around the topics or find a quiet 'chatter' spot later.

Kind wishes, Gary

πTom

Good morning Gary,

I kind of new to forums. Are we conversing in the wrong spot? 

1811 Is from an Etsy seller, Yoshi. you can type in 1811 fountain pen and he will pop up. Warning, his pens are beautiful, impeccable crafted, and cause a great deal of excitement! Acme is an American Brand I bought years ago. They still sell them. It was a rollerball with a fountain pen conversion kit. THAT is the one that rusted on the inside. I scrubbed it out, used CLR, and painted the interior with white Rustoleum gloss paint. After all that I decided to swap the nib and housing to another pen. A frankenpen! Thank you and look forward to chatting more later.

Bernadette

Oh..my word!! I could not avert mine eyes! 1811 Seagulls/Ocean! Delightfully crafted! Thank you for the visual treat Bernadette.

I'm new to posting (anywhere), I'm not usually a joiner when it comes to media.

No, it was just me thinking about the one to one form of conversation I really enjoy and the 'public', archived forever conversations that sends a chill. I don't think there is a right or wrong place but we can be wisely guided by our wonderful moderators if we have questions I'm sure.

I believe members can discuss private or personal topics via a mail service ie (PM) private messages but I have been thinking along the lines of 'penfriend' style of friendships. Other members have mentioned such things as hand-written letters to each other etc, in 'Write Stuff' forum.

The Lamy experience is an unusual one for me. A 'Safari' is a fabulous entry level fountain pen, versatile, robust, colourful and very well designed I would say. The modern range is very shallow from top to bottom with a small number of models and many cosmetic variations of them. There are vintage models that do go back to very early German designs.

I have, and highly recommend, a renowned, Bauhaus inspired, 'Lamy 2000' widely regarded as a design classic.

And a Lamy 'Studio' with a 1.1 mm stub nib on it!! I love what that combo allows me to create!

I have a Lamy 'Persona' a revered ancestor of the modern 'Imporium' model, designed by architectural designer Mario Belleni, and probably intended as top of the modern range.

The closest I ever got to China was a Taiwan manufactured pen called 'ystudio, Brassing', and it deserves a page all to itself! It's in my top three.

I wrote until 2:30am this morning with my Lamy Studio! while listening to a newly arrived anthology set of Joni Mitchell albums! Wow, it was something special.

Bye for now..G

πTom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gary,

That sounds like a lovely time. Joni Mitchell is wonderful. Thanks for the kudos for the 1811 Seagull. It writes like a dream. I've been avoiding Lamy. I'm more attracted to the full size nibs. But I do hear the performance is amazing. So maybe I should put one in my collection. Do you think they look more utilitarian? I guess it is a minimalist bauhaus design. I have three TWSBIs and they are all gems. Their pens can be completely dismantled for deep cleaning, come with a wrench and silicon grease for waterproofing threads.

On another note - Congrats on New Zealand beating COVID! We are in California and it is raging here... Mostly in Southern California. Such a wonderful Prime Minister too. Kudos!

Hi Bernadette. It was so nice to see your message. I hope you're doing well adjusting to the many challenges we all face these days. Thank you for your thoughtful comments about our collective response to virus outbreaks and our much loved leader. Not surprisingly I had little to do with either, but very thankful for both! An outstanding leader of our time I would say.

Very best wishes to you and all our friends in California, with vaccination measures and new leadership as well.

Pens seem so trivial under such global emergencies. But are they? We write on! Our pens becoming instruments of comfort and magic. Wands with which we cast spells, and swords to do battle.

So deeply personal that we can only discuss our subjective experiences in general terms. Or poetic?

I live alone in a remote area very close to two National Conservation Parks, 'Kahurangi' and 'Abel Tasman'.

Lots of holiday makers spending the summer holidays but it at night I can hear a pin drop, as they say! I usually start writing about 10 pm..sometimes until 4:30 am. Just journal/chronicle stuff, what ever is on my mind. Just loving that act of making shapes, words and sentences. My secret hope is that one night a story just pops out, as if by magic! Maybe a poem.

Latest arrival, a restored, 80 year old Swan, Mabie Todd, light green Snakeskin 1938-39(?) with an oblique, medium, 14ct nib. It shows scars from the many battles it has endured but what an expressive array of marks it is capable of making?

Lamy pens I've used tick most of the utility boxes. A robust, reliable, hand held pigment delivery system, but I would note that no designer is free from previous influences and it is unlikely that there are many examples of authentic Bauhaus principles outside museums. As an art history enthusiast I can say, "I miss 'art movements', in general". I can't seem to discern any now! Contemporary context is too hard to distill into a good, old fashioned movement!

What do you think about such things?

Catch up again soon I hope, kind wishes, Gary

πTom

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 6:48 PM, Gaudi95 said:

Hi Bernadette. It was so nice to see your message. I hope you're doing well adjusting to the many challenges we all face these days. Thank you for your thoughtful comments about our collective response to virus outbreaks and our much loved leader. Not surprisingly I had little to do with either, but very thankful for both! An outstanding leader of our time I would say.

Very best wishes to you and all our friends in California, with vaccination measures and new leadership as well.

Pens seem so trivial under such global emergencies. But are they? We write on! Our pens becoming instruments of comfort and magic. Wands with which we cast spells, and swords to do battle.

So deeply personal that we can only discuss our subjective experiences in general terms. Or poetic?

I live alone in a remote area very close to two National Conservation Parks, 'Kahurangi' and 'Abel Tasman'.

Lots of holiday makers spending the summer holidays but it at night I can hear a pin drop, as they say! I usually start writing about 10 pm..sometimes until 4:30 am. Just journal/chronicle stuff, what ever is on my mind. Just loving that act of making shapes, words and sentences. My secret hope is that one night a story just pops out, as if by magic! Maybe a poem.

Latest arrival, a restored, 80 year old Swan, Mabie Todd, light green Snakeskin 1938-39(?) with an oblique, medium, 14ct nib. It shows scars from the many battles it has endured but what an expressive array of marks it is capable of making?

Lamy pens I've used tick most of the utility boxes. A robust, reliable, hand held pigment delivery system, but I would note that no designer is free from previous influences and it is unlikely that there are many examples of authentic Bauhaus principles outside museums. As an art history enthusiast I can say, "I miss 'art movements', in general". I can't seem to discern any now! Contemporary context is too hard to distill into a good, old fashioned movement!

What do you think about such things?

Catch up again soon I hope, kind wishes, Gary

Yes, I completely agree! I haven't tried a Lamy. I'm from the big nib crowd. I love the lines on the JoWo #6. The Lamy nibs looks so... utilitarian to me. I love the effortless writing. I'm 62, so writing with a ballpoint for long periods makes my hand ache. So fountain pens are a dream come true. I envy your vintage pen AND a gold nib - Sweet! I'm waiting to go to a pen show, tap into the wealth of knowledge and pick one up there. I keep seeing references to the Parker 51. I still have so much to learn!

Warmly,

Bernadette