Noodler's El Lawrence - Mini review

yazeh

El Lawrence

I really enjoyed this ink. It has slightly drier flow compared to the many other Noodler’s inks, I have tried. It dries almost instantaneously. I had it for a long while in my fountain pen and never had any problems writing. 

It is closest to Burma Road Brown and darker than R& K Emma. 

Burma Road Brown is partially waterproof. 

Afterthought: Besides being everything proof, this ink is also fluorescent. 

·  Pens used: Ef Chinese pen, , Noodler’s nib creaper, 

·  Shading: Definitely subtle…

·  Ghosting: None on Rhodia.

·  Bleed through: None

·  Flow Rate: On the drier side for a Noodler.  

·  Lubrication: Good 

·  Nib Dry-out: Nope.

·  Start-up: No problem.

·  Saturation:  Yes

·  Shading Potential: Maybe with Ahab

·  Sheen: No

·  Spread / Feathering / Woolly Line: None 

·  Nib Creep / “Crud”: Don’t recall

·  Staining (pen): Nope. Easy to clean…

·  Clogging: Nope

·  Water resistance: Archival…..

·  Availability: Only in bottle.

On Rhodia dot pad
624502608_ElLawrence.thumb.jpeg.edfb136cf416e37f5583767de4605153.jpeg

Back

1635240109_Ellawrenceback.thumb.jpeg.9b0dcd528d967967407522aaa52507a8.jpeg

Swatches

swatches.thumb.jpeg.ee138cc5b823772fb68b25dc41e2cb38.jpeg

I hope you don’t mind a touch of whimsy in form of an article 200 years from now:

Martian Archeologist on a survey mission to Earth have found one of the most exciting finds of the decade, a document, believing to belong to the famed British explorer Lawrence of Arabia, thanks to an UV sweep. The document managed to survive the climate catastrophe of 2080. 

Ten years later the chief xeno-archaeologist of Europa colony, has concluded that the Notebook could not have belonged to the famed Lawrence and has tentatively carbon dated it to the early 21st century, to an unknown scribe. 

Searchers on Alpha Centauri have concluded that the following text belonged to a marginal sect thriving in early 21st century, the fountain pen worshippers. It is not clear what the purpose of this group has been.  Much research has to be done now, as numerous other documents of this sort have been found. 

7138DEE1-B29F-4710-9210-DE82B5840F2A_1_201_a.thumb.jpeg.92f04aa09a73943b8f898353c733138d.jpeg

Edited by yazeh
Addig a photo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• yazeh

• pgcauk

• inkstainedruth

• Man O War

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi @yazeh! Good to see your review of El Lawrence posted here. :thumbup: I made mention of it to others just the other day, as someone suggested the ink as a colour of which Sailor Manyo Shirakashi is reminiscent.

Good to see you back on FPN, too, of course. :D

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Great review!  You were able to show the contrast of this ink quite well.  I find it runs olive green to black for me.  I've only been using El Lawrence for little over a month, but I love it.  I love the colors it provides and the permanent qualities of the ink are a great bonus.  

Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are. 

~Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks for the review.  Loved the "Report from Grand Central Station" style "article" -- very creative and great fun.

I'm a huge fan of El Lawrence, in spite of the, um, unusual color.  I tried a sample of it a early on in my forays on FPN, when someone did a review of it; it was sort of like passing a car accident on the highway -- you CAN'T look away, no matter how much you want to.  I kept muttering "That is one weird-ass color" but I kept looking at the images.  So bought a sample and was hooked.

A few years ago, before getting bought out by my current bank, my old bank required the use of ONLY black or blue ink for filling out and signing checks.  But they NEVER batted an eye at El Lawrence (they also didn't blink at my choice of "blue" ink -- Noodler's Kung Te Cheng B)).  I described it as being "subversive" after that (my current bank isn't quite as restrictive, but I still want to sign checks with relatively permanent inks) -- I presume that the old bank considered it dark enough to at least pass for black, and be legible in photocopies.  And it is pretty waterproof -- another plus.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

FWIW, to my great annoyance, it did stain the clear barrel of my PenBBS 456 vac filler. Wish I'd put it in something with a converter.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

3 minutes ago, Antenociticus said:

FWIW, to my great annoyance, it did stain the clear barrel of my PenBBS 456 vac filler. Wish I'd put it in something with a converter.

For me, it's one of the go-to inks for my ebonite Noodler's Konrad, which is a piston filler.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

17 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

Hi @yazeh! Good to see your review of El Lawrence posted here. :thumbup: I made mention of it to others just the other day, as someone suggested the ink as a colour of which Sailor Manyo Shirakashi is reminiscent.

Good to see you back on FPN, too, of course. :D

Yes, thanks. It was your post that reminded me to do so 😀:thumbup:

17 hours ago, Chiroptera121 said:

Great review!  You were able to show the contrast of this ink quite well.  I find it runs olive green to black for me.  I've only been using El Lawrence for little over a month, but I love it.  I love the colors it provides and the permanent qualities of the ink are a great bonus.  

Glad to know you like it 

17 hours ago, LizEF said:

Fun review!  Thanks, Yazeh.  This is one I've pondered trying, off and on.

I thought of you when I did it age ago, especially with an EF nib.😁

17 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

Thanks for the review.  Loved the "Report from Grand Central Station" style "article" -- very creative and great fun.

I'm a huge fan of El Lawrence, in spite of the, um, unusual color.  I tried a sample of it a early on in my forays on FPN, when someone did a review of it; it was sort of like passing a car accident on the highway -- you CAN'T look away, no matter how much you want to.  I kept muttering "That is one weird-ass color" but I kept looking at the images.  So bought a sample and was hooked.

A few years ago, before getting bought out by my current bank, my old bank required the use of ONLY black or blue ink for filling out and signing checks.  But they NEVER batted an eye at El Lawrence (they also didn't blink at my choice of "blue" ink -- Noodler's Kung Te Cheng B)).  I described it as being "subversive" after that (my current bank isn't quite as restrictive, but I still want to sign checks with relatively permanent inks) -- I presume that the old bank considered it dark enough to at least pass for black, and be legible in photocopies.  And it is pretty waterproof -- another plus.

Glad you liked it Ruth! Create minds 😊

It's a fun ink and it's quite dark. I liked it more for it's qualities than colour.... I'm a sucker for eternal/bullet proof etc inks, I thoroughly enjoyed your election thread (minus the political diatribes) :thumbup:

11 hours ago, Antenociticus said:

Thanks for letting me know :) 

6 hours ago, Tas said:

Yum 🥰

:)

4 hours ago, namrehsnoom said:

Lovely presentation of a lovely ink. I appreciate the comparison inks, especially Zhivago (which I have). El Lawrence looks great, but I still like Zhivago a bit more colourwise.

Thanks namrehsnoomI have a source of inspiration. 😊

Zhivago, I would say, is great for drawing/ink-wash or wider nibs. Is a poetic ink, like its namesake, tortured.

El Lawrence is no nonsense ink. I would say as tough T.E. Lawrence himself with his propensity to laugh at pain. 

1 hour ago, vtgt said:

It looks a lot like Diamine Salamander to me, except that like most Diamine inks Salamander has no water resistance. Dirt cheap though.

Yes. If Water resistance is no issue, then Diamine is the way to go. If not El Lawrence... :)

El Lawrence was the second ink I bought when I got serious about fountain pens. Apart from being bulletproof it was the color that really appealed to me. It also flows very well in the pens that I've used, and I particularly like that it doesn't feather much of difficult papers.

1 hour ago, OleJuul said:

El Lawrence was the second ink I bought when I got serious about fountain pens. Apart from being bulletproof it was the color that really appealed to me. It also flows very well in the pens that I've used, and I particularly like that it doesn't feather much of difficult papers.

Glad to see you here, too, Ole. 

It's quite well behaved. 

Which pen did you pair it with and what nib?

5 hours ago, yazeh said:

Glad to see you here, too, Ole. 

It's quite well behaved. 

Which pen did you pair it with and what nib?

Thanks. I am using it in a Kaweco Skyline Sport with a medium nib.

However, that was before I got serious about pairing. After I finish a long term project using that pen ink combination (I don't want to change in the middle), I plan to use the ink in another pen, but haven't decided which yet.

1 minute ago, OleJuul said:

Thanks. I am using it in a Kaweco Skyline Sport with a medium nib.

However, that was before I got serious about pairing. After I finish a long term project using that pen ink combination (I don't want to change in the middle), I plan to use the ink in another pen, but haven't decided which yet.

I get it. I need to find the write pen match with the ink. I love Kaweco. They're so practical and fun to use :)

I am not quite sure why I like El Lawrence or Zhivago so much but I do.  The Burma Road brown as well.  I call them Murky Town inks.

I love your little sideways article, very creative and well done.

Thanks

Be Happy, work at it. Namaste

3 hours ago, bone215 said:

I am not quite sure why I like El Lawrence or Zhivago so much but I do.  The Burma Road brown as well.  I call them Murky Town inks.

I love your little sideways article, very creative and well done.

Thanks

Most welcome and thanks for your comments. Much appreciated. :)

I think I understand what you're saying. I admit, if I were to choose one of the three, it would be El Lawrence, if I were to draw/sketch it wold br Zhivago. The least, I enjoyed admiringly is Burma Road Brown.....