Sailor Rumi Shadow Fountain Pen

The-Thinker

This is sailor's 5-th release in less than a month! equipped with a black KOP nib . I wish they bring some exotic nibs to the KOP instead of colors! what are your thoughts ?

131041731_10160271538029008_4036801045443349098_o.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The-Thinker

• Barry Gabay

• 25_15_3

• peroride

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These are pretty, but I won’t lie my lizard brain is SO attracted to the sparkly resins Sailor is known for putting out on their 1911 and Pro Gear models that this is not my type of pen. Also a bit prohibitively expensive (I say, as I look at my other pens). I could definitely see the colours appealing to those that don’t prefer all the usual sparkle glam, but I agree that the unique nibs making a major comeback would be cooler.

Interested in hearing what others think about these pens!

I like the look of the red and blue ones.  But I suspect that a KOP might be too large for my hand (and certainly too pricy for my wallet).  

And truthfully, they look pretty generic.  They could be almost any brand.  I'll wait and see on these (but in the meantime I'm more likely to be figuring out if I can afford either of the North American exclusive 1911S pens -- I've seen the Wicked Witch pen in person; but while there's a part of me going, "Oh an OZ pen, how cool is that!" there's a part me preferring the look of the Loch Ness Monster).  And of course, unlike the Pro Gear Slim Purple Cosmos, I'm NOT going to be able to find a cheaper source overseas. :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth 

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Hmm, the tapering looks different compared to the usual KOP pro gears.

Wonder why they didn't just go with the usual KOP Pro gear design with the new material and plating. Not a fan personally.

On 12/10/2020 at 5:14 PM, aimi said:

These are pretty, but I won’t lie my lizard brain is SO attracted to the sparkly resins Sailor is known for putting out on their 1911 and Pro Gear models that this is not my type of pen. Also a bit prohibitively expensive (I say, as I look at my other pens). I could definitely see the colours appealing to those that don’t prefer all the usual sparkle glam, but I agree that the unique nibs making a major comeback would be cooler.

Interested in hearing what others think about these pens!

i do agree, and i feel that they are quite expensive for the material, but then its also a unique nib which adds cost and the beautiful colors on a KOP model. I want them to produce/ reintroduce the specialty nibs on KOP models that would be an epic old sailor vibes !

20 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

I like the look of the red and blue ones.  But I suspect that a KOP might be too large for my hand (and certainly too pricy for my wallet).  

And truthfully, they look pretty generic.  They could be almost any brand.  I'll wait and see on these (but in the meantime I'm more likely to be figuring out if I can afford either of the North American exclusive 1911S pens -- I've seen the Wicked Witch pen in person; but while there's a part of me going, "Oh an OZ pen, how cool is that!" there's a part me preferring the look of the Loch Ness Monster).  And of course, unlike the Pro Gear Slim Purple Cosmos, I'm NOT going to be able to find a cheaper source overseas. :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth 

yes they are quite huge pens, and looking at the nib and body relation, i can tell that the body is even bigger than the ebonite version, which could be close to the Pilot size 30 nib custom urishi ! i love the NA exclusive, the one that spoke to me the most was the lucky charm and the lighthouse, they are so unique and beautiful. I feel sailor is experimenting more on this ruthenium plating, and i would be amazed if they put out specialty nibs with this finish. It would be so expensive :P but i think it would be mega cool ! 

4 hours ago, 25_15_3 said:

Wonder why they didn't just go with the usual KOP Pro gear design with the new material and plating. Not a fan personally.

yes, that caught my eye too. I feel they are experimenting with new things, material design and stuff. Maybe they are preparing something for their anniversary, I'm not sure if they have already decided or they are still on the rout of deciding …

4 hours ago, 25_15_3 said:

Looking a bit like Leonardo pens, actually, I'd say.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

5 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

Looking a bit like Leonardo pens, actually, I'd say.

yup i have to agree :P i feel they are aiming for more colorful and European style, lets see what hey put out for their anniversary

Can't find any information on the "Sailor Rumi Shadow."  Please enlighten me, anyone. Thank you in advance. I appreciate any help. 

Now I know why the shape appeals to me.

Looks like good design has no borders

Per the link 25_15_3 shared,

translation: A lid plug that is particular about the conical shape 🤔

spacer.png

I can't quite shake the reminiscence to ...

spacer.png

and just about 105000 yen less expensive: https://sailor.co.jp/product/10-9687/

That finial doesn't look right.  Is it supposed to be asymmetrical?  It doesn't appear align with cap either.  Yikes.

I'm not a fan of the aesthetics, but I'm glad they are trying new things.