Noodler's Boston Safety Pen and Osmiroid copperplate nib

Nomlenom

Hi!

This is my first contribution to this great community, to be good to me if I do not place it where it belongs.
It is not a review as such, nor does it need it, as I have already verified the existence of some very good and interesting entries about it.

My contribution focuses on the change of the nib. As the one that comes from origin I know it well, being the same as the Standard or Creaper model, and since it is not a pen for daily use due to its special characteristics, I decided to change the nib for that of an Osmiroid copperplate pen "Osmiroid school" -easy change, I think- very simple and effective but not very comforting in the hand as an object. This nib does not have iridium so its use is also restricted to the practice of copperplate. I had to file the back of the nib just enough so that being submerged in the barrel the tip would not stick out and I could close the pen without damaging the tip.

In any case, I do not rule out looking for a good old flexible nib with iridium to enjoy it in a different way and pass this nib to a second unit in black ebonite.

I leave you with some photos of the pen and a quick writing test.

boston01.jpg.d22e85499d6ff1137628528fcead8d25.jpg
boston02.jpg.3fc7960a560cb0d1ee4d3b7af8c923ad.jpg
boston03.jpg.fc0df65f4f218a071be06501524e91c8.jpg
boston04.jpg.3ec4669bb01c7c8b7321037d0c7cff21.jpg
boston05.jpg.003be27dce0d0a78be4823abf9582d08.jpg
boston00.jpg.563ea893a3c855417d9ad874665ec71e.jpg

boston06b.jpg

icono-FPN.jpg.7d7893a5ab42f8fa5b2997cafa22c56d.jpg

Calligraphic lover. Instagram @nomlenom | Learn calligraphy on my Youtube channel: Nomlenom
Entering the world of fountain pens because of copperplate.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nomlenom

• PithyProlix

• Sean1957

• Grayspoole

Wow.  Lovely penmanship you've got there.

I have a Boston Safety (one of the black ebonite ones) but haven't played around with it too much.  I had a bit of trouble finding an ink that worked well in it (I had hoped for it to be a good pen for Noodler's Kung Te Cheng, but that didn't turn out to be the case; Noodler's Luck of the Draw LE -- from the Baltimore-Washington Pen Show a few years ago -- did work well but I dislike the color).  

It wouldn't have occurred to me to use an ink like Waterman (I don't have Absolute Brown, but Mysterious Blue is my go-to ink for my vintage Parker Vacumatic Red Shadow Wave). 

So thanks for that.  I guess I should pull the pen back out and try it again.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

On 12/8/2020 at 9:16 PM, inkstainedruth said:

Wow.  Lovely penmanship you've got there.

I have a Boston Safety (one of the black ebonite ones) but haven't played around with it too much.  I had a bit of trouble finding an ink that worked well in it (I had hoped for it to be a good pen for Noodler's Kung Te Cheng, but that didn't turn out to be the case; Noodler's Luck of the Draw LE -- from the Baltimore-Washington Pen Show a few years ago -- did work well but I dislike the color).  

It wouldn't have occurred to me to use an ink like Waterman (I don't have Absolute Brown, but Mysterious Blue is my go-to ink for my vintage Parker Vacumatic Red Shadow Wave). 

So thanks for that.  I guess I should pull the pen back out and try it again.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I'm very happy that you like my calligraphy and as for the ink, of course! grab your pen and try other options again. 😅

Calligraphic lover. Instagram @nomlenom | Learn calligraphy on my Youtube channel: Nomlenom

11 hours ago, doriath19 said:

Thanks for sharing! Your handwriting is beautiful!

Thank you very much, I really like to know. Anyway the pen helps a lot to get inspired 😉

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Nomlenom—

Welcome!

I very much enjoyed learning about this experiment.  I also practice calligraphy, including copperplate, and I have had good results inserting vintage dip pen nibs into Noodler Ahabs. I also like the Osmiroid copperplate nib but I use it in an Esterbrook or Osmiroid pen body. It would never have occurred to me to try it in a Safety but you made it work beautifully. Such “Frankenpens” allow for a wide range of experimentation and customization.

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2021 at 1:38 AM, Sean1957 said:

Really beautiful penmanship. 

Thanks for your words!

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with all - beautiful.

I did a search on Osmiroid Copperplate because I am considering finding the Copperplate nib for my Osmiroid pen body - the search brought me here. After seeing your example now I am encouraged a bit more. 😊

My pens for sale: https://www.facebook.com/jaiyen.pens  

• 7 months later...
On 10/18/2021 at 5:35 PM, PithyProlix said:

I agree - beautiful handwriting.

I'm curious - did you remove the Osmiroid nib from the feed assembly and stick it in the Noodler's pen with its feed?

Yes, the feeding is that of Noodlers.