Pilot Iroshizuku Tsutsuji – a lazy review

A Smug Dill

ACtC-3eq-Q59S7cRIWXAsTOFUZNCu4LgFPuOhEuG

ACtC-3c8MX9UZgyJTIWODtdIeMEI3BV2eoQcemZG

Colour: Hot pink, or magenta — more so than Pelikan Edelstein Star Ruby, although when Tsutsuji is laid thickly/wetly on the page it can look similar
Flow: Moderate

Feathering: Not observed on Rhodia Dotpad 80g/m² paper, looking closely at the thinnest hatching lines, and words/glyphs ‘reverse-written’ with the nib upside-down (i.e. the bottom of the feed facing up)
Show-through: Low to nil
Bleed-through: Not observed

Drying time: 13–15 seconds
Smudging after fully dry: None, after I rubbed my thumb on the hatching/stippling and the Chinese hanzi panels on the review sheet (ten days after writing)
Water resistance: Poor

Shading: Very subtle; difficult to spot along a single pen stroke with no doubling over the ink mark and no intersecting tracks
Sheen: A tiny amount of orangey gold sheen can be seen in writing, but you really have to look closely and under a bright light of the right type for it
Shimmer: None

ACtC-3cTJjTpuz2hLyPTMhWlj5qS4PmBE3-oFFBe

My thoughts: If I want to write in this colour with sheen, I'll probably use Lamy Vibrant Pink ink instead.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• lgsoltek

• TSherbs

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, lgsoltek said:

(I laughed at 萬惡淫爲首. Why did you copy that? 😂)

I was looking for a standalone phrase of five words in Chinese to write, that wasn't part of a poem, sutra or some such. I was also thinking about my excesses: the number of inks, pens, and unused Paperblanks journals that I have bought and am hoarding, so “excess is the greatest evil” came to mind, and rubbing people the wrong way with my usual manner in other online forums pales in comparison. 👿

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I'm not inclined to a fresh comparison of several similarly hued colours in the process of producing an ink review these days, but I remember I'd done one a while back of retina-searing pink and magenta inks, and after a bit of digging I managed to find it.

large.1036480544_SeveralmagentainkscomparedwritingwithFineandStubnibs.jpg.b07c6acc2944fe7315806c856b3c4b36.jpg

The scan was done just in the past 24 hours, some fifteen months after the text was written. Note that the marks from Lamy Vibrant Pink, especially the “Six.” left of the margin, have already noticeably faded; not so with the writing in Pilot Iroshizuku Tsutsuji.

These were all done with the same two pens (one with a Fine nib, the other a Stub), so you can also see which ink is more apt to spread on the paper and cause thicker lines to be put down.

Edited by A Smug Dill
Not sure how or when the inline image went AWOL; but it's fixed now

23 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I was looking for a standalone phrase of five words in Chinese to write, that wasn't part of a poem, sutra or some such. I was also thinking about my excesses: the number of inks, pens, and unused Paperblanks journals that I have bought and am hoarding, so “excess is the greatest evil” came to mind, and rubbing people the wrong way with my usual manner in other online forums pales in comparison. 👿

For me it means more like "lust" or "desire" is the greatest evil than merely "excess". I've always understood it as about sexual conduct. 😂 

22 hours ago, A Smug Dill said:

I'm not inclined to a fresh comparison of several similarly hued colours in the process of producing an ink review these days, but I remember I'd done one a while back of retina-searing pink and magenta inks, and after a bit of digging I managed to find it.

large.1036480544_SeveralmagentainkscomparedwritingwithFineandStubnibs.jpg.32215132d70b8bc52ebcc3accd3b6c11.jpg

The scan was done just in the past 24 hours, some fifteen months after the text was written. Note that the marks from Lamy Vibrant Pink, especially the “Six.” left of the margin, have already noticeably faded; not so with the writing in Pilot Iroshizuku Tsutsuji.

These were all done with the same two pens (one with a Fine nib, the other a Stub), so you can also see which ink is more apt to spread on the paper and cause thicker lines to be put down.

Not sure about the others but I don't seem to be able to see this image here.

7 minutes ago, lgsoltek said:

For me it means more like "lust" or "desire" is the greatest evil than merely "excess". I've always understood it as about sexual conduct. 😂 

The classical meaning of that word is excess, and not specifically with regard to sexual or lewd behaviour (but does not exclude that either, of course). However, I do understand that In modern usage, that word usually refers to salaciousness.

I'm not sure when, how or why the inline image went missing. I even created and posted a how-to for inserting gallery images into a post yesterday, using that very post as the example for illustration!

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

The classical meaning of that word is excess, and not specifically with regard to sexual or lewd behaviour (but does not exclude that either, of course). However, I do understand that In modern usage, that word usually refers to salaciousness.

I'm not sure when, how or why the inline image went missing. I even created and posted a how-to for inserting gallery images into a post yesterday, using that very post as the example for illustration!

[...]

You're absolutely right. I didn't realise that, but when I see dictionaries mention "富贵不能淫" I remembered.

I can see the image now. Thank you! R&K Magenta is such an underrated gem! It's not so retina-searing as Solferino but still a very bright and lovely colour.