Nakaya has arrived!

Caboose

Dean,

I'm a Japanese born and grew up in Japan, and I have teaching certificate of Japanese language. I assure you, yakusoku (the word on your pen) means promise, commitment (could be a date ;)) has no negative meanings in Japanese. Enjoy your pen!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caboose

• FrankB

• Phthalo

• Renzhe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Beautiful pen, Dean! I can't seem to put down my Piccolo Writer in aka-tamenuri that arrived in early June. The writer model, as many of you who have scoured the Nakaya site like I have probably know, is a bit longer than the Piccolo Cigar, so if you like the Piccolo but want a longer version there is one to be had. Mine does have a clip. My nib is buttery smooth, a huge plus for many (it's a tiny bit wider than a Nakaya F), although I miss a smidge of feedback myself. Absolutely perfect writer, though. Enjoy--you just won't regret spending on this pen for a minute.

I just received an email from Nakaya yesterday :thumbup:

My Piccolo is on its way. Should be here by Monday July 16th, which also happens to be our 12th wedding anniversary. Yayyyyy!!!! :bunny01: :clap1:

I took my SLR and Piccolo outside with me this afternoon, but I wasn't having the most successful day photography-wise. I'll try for some more shots later in the week maybe.

I processed only one image I liked, so here is my Kuro-Tamenuri Piccolo at ~10 months old:

http://www.ciar-roisin.net/photos/nakaya/Sunlit-01.jpg

The sunlight was dappled, so the cap is catching the best of the light - and you can see how the urushi is clearing nicely. :)

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Yes :D :clap1: .... my Piccolo black urushi pen just arrived :bunny01: . Was delivered yesterday to my home but I only got back home today and found it on my desk waiting for me :happyberet:

Strange thing about it is that it's wrapped in a Pos Malaysia plastic wrapper, not the Japan Post one :hmm1: After tearing apart the wrapper, then I know the reason - the original Japan Post wrapper, along with the cardbox box from Nakaya, is wet with some substance that smelled suspiciously like sake, and since it's wet, the box is crushed on one side!! :o :yikes:

Luckily the Nakaya Pen folks are sensible enough to wrap the pen case (with the Piccolo, its kimono, the urushi 3-pen rest, the ink cartridges and the goldfish maki-e converter inside), along with the Platinum Blue-Black ink that I had ordered, in a plastic wrapper :eureka:

But BOO to Pos Malaysia :angry:

I'm thinking of fitting the maki-e converter inside my Platinum #3776 Koi celluloid pen instead. What do you think?

Shahrin B)

Luckily the Nakaya Pen folks are sensible enough to wrap the pen case (with the Piccolo, its kimono, the urushi 3-pen rest, the ink cartridges and the goldfish maki-e converter inside), along with the Platinum Blue-Black ink that I had ordered, in a plastic wrapper :eureka:

Shahrin B)

Thank goodness it arrived undamaged.

Might be useful to feedback to the folks at Nakaya , in order for them to know what can possibly happen to their mailed package..

Not sure if the postal service was responsible for the damage though....

Anyway enjoy your pen.

I dream of owning one.

... 671 crafted ... one at a time ... ☺️

instagram

I took my SLR and Piccolo outside with me this afternoon, but I wasn't having the most successful day photography-wise. I'll try for some more shots later in the week maybe.

I processed only one image I liked, so here is my Kuro-Tamenuri Piccolo at ~10 months old:

http://www.ciar-roisin.net/photos/nakaya/Sunlit-01.jpg

The sunlight was dappled, so the cap is catching the best of the light - and you can see how the urushi is clearing nicely. :)

:puddle:

Laura, even if the light conditions were not perfect, I love the "crispness" of the lens and the choice of the background. :thumbup:

I love mine too but I'm not sure if the urushi is giving away...doesn't look to me.

sonia alvarez

fpn_1379481230__chinkinreduced.jpg

Hmmmm, I wonder what I should have put on my next Nakaya or Danitrio?........ Does anyone know what the Kanji character is for "ooohh, shiny - must have!" ? :ltcapd:

DEan, Just have them paint a picture of a magpie on it!! Around here, going into "magpie mode" means being drawn to something shiny and sparkly!

HP

The sky IS falling. C. Little

I like that last photo! I have a thing for natural light and desaturated backgrounds.

I wouldn't know "ooohh, shiny - must have!" but I think "my prrrecioussssss" would look something like 我的寶貝 in Modern Chinese.

Edited by Renzhe

Renzhe

(Ha! That background wasn't desaturated... it was a naturally (and weirdly) gray plank of weathered timber I found in the 'building materials' pile in the corner of our backyard. ;)

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

oops, wrong word read

Edited by Betty
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Shahrin, I would agree that some feedback to Nakaya would be good to help encourage them to pack their pens for rough weather. I am glad you got your pen, though.

You talked about the wrapper, what about the pen?! Do you like it? (Do ya, huh?, huh? Do ya?! :P )

Phthalo, your photos are always lovely. Thank you.

Dean,

I'm a Japanese born and grew up in Japan, and I have teaching certificate of Japanese language. I assure you, yakusoku (the word on your pen) means promise, commitment (could be a date ;)) has no negative meanings in Japanese. Enjoy your pen!

Thanks Taki. That was the intent. If anyone asks, I'll tell them they're Japanese characters. Maybe I'll nickname this the "date pen" to remind me to keep my commitments ;)

Cheers, Dean

Beautiful pen, Dean! I can't seem to put down my Piccolo Writer in aka-tamenuri that arrived in early June. The writer model, as many of you who have scoured the Nakaya site like I have probably know, is a bit longer than the Piccolo Cigar, so if you like the Piccolo but want a longer version there is one to be had. Mine does have a clip. My nib is buttery smooth, a huge plus for many (it's a tiny bit wider than a Nakaya F), although I miss a smidge of feedback myself. Absolutely perfect writer, though. Enjoy--you just won't regret spending on this pen for a minute.

Sharkle, I'm glad you're enjoying your Nakaya as much as I am.

One thing for other potential Nakaya buyers to note is that, the slightly longer Cigar Piccolo Writer (tapered not rounded ends) is only available with a clip. If you want it without a clip, you have to go with the Piccolo Cigar. I asked during the ordering process if I could get the writer length, but without the clip... no dice. Surprised me a little because I don't understand what the issue would be, but so it goes. As it turns out, I really like the length of the Piccolo Cigar anyway.

One other thing that I noticed on my pen that you might want to think about and change if desired and possible with Nakaya. When I am holding the pen in the writing position (face of nib parallel to the paper), the Kanji characters are hidden against my hand. They are painted on the opposite side of the pen body from the nib face. Do others of you have the same thing with your Nakaya? One thing I WILL try to change on the next pen is to have the Kanji painted on the same side of the pen as the nib face.

Cheers, Dean

Sharkle, I'm glad you're enjoying your Nakaya as much as I am.

One thing for other potential Nakaya buyers to note is that, the slightly longer Cigar Piccolo Writer (tapered not rounded ends) is only available with a clip. If you want it without a clip, you have to go with the Piccolo Cigar. I asked during the ordering process if I could get the writer length, but without the clip... no dice. Surprised me a little because I don't understand what the issue would be, but so it goes. As it turns out, I really like the length of the Piccolo Cigar anyway.

One other thing that I noticed on my pen that you might want to think about and change if desired and possible with Nakaya. When I am holding the pen in the writing position (face of nib parallel to the paper), the Kanji characters are hidden against my hand. They are painted on the opposite side of the pen body from the nib face. Do others of you have the same thing with your Nakaya? One thing I WILL try to change on the next pen is to have the Kanji painted on the same side of the pen as the nib face.

Cheers, Dean

Dean, the Kanji characters on my Piccolo Cigar is also maki-ed on the opposite side of the pen body away from the nib face. The Nakaya website states that "the location for the maki-e name painting is on the pen barrel, near the end (opposite from the nib end)." Not sure the exact reason for this or if you can opt to have the maki-e painting done on the same side of the pen as the nib face. But can't hurt to ask if this is what you want.

Best regards,

Dan

Some thoughts on Kanji:

1. If you choose some words that have special meaning to you, you might want to keep them private, as beween you and your pen.

2. However, you might want to be able to see them when writing, as a reminder.

3. Or you might want them hidden from view, against your skin, as if they are touching you. I suppose this option might apply if you a bit mystical.

4. Some people get tattoos to commemorate meaningful events in their lives. Some get these where everyone can see them, others where they are known only to the holder.

I think I want the characters hidden, for me only.

Reminds me of this quote:

There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse. ~Robert Smith Surtees

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Shahrin, I would agree that some feedback to Nakaya would be good to help encourage them to pack their pens for rough weather. I am glad you got your pen, though.

You talked about the wrapper, what about the pen?! Do you like it? (Do ya, huh?, huh? Do ya?! :P )

Phthalo, your photos are always lovely. Thank you.

Frank,

When I first received my black Piccolo Cigar I spent the first half hour holding, fondling, touching - and drooling :puddle: - at the beautiful, slippery-smooth mirror-finish ("roiro" finish to be precise) of the pen and how it feels in the hand; not just that, but also its paulownia-wood box, its cloth pen pouch (I call it the pen's kimono :rolleyes: ) and the beautiful urushi-lacquered pen pillow ordered as a side dish. Then there's the goldfish maki-e converter - I actually filled it up with water and it does gives one the illusion that there's a goldfish in my converter!! :yikes: Muahahahaha! :roflmho: In the end I've decided to put this converter in my Platinum Celluloid #3776 Kingyyo instead - the goldfish theme would fit in perfectly with the Kingyyo's "koi" pattern on its celluloid body.

For the non-collector this pen is as plain as a pen can be - shiny black in colour, devoid of clip and any form of trim whatsoever, monotone gold nib - but after owning a dozen Italian pens with their intricate, fanciful designs (to me, at least), this pen is all about getting back to basics of what a fountain pen should be - the writing experience with no distractions.

Although the Piccolo Cigar is relatively short, as I hold the pen near to the nib and I have small hands, the length was never an issue. Those with bigger hands might want to contemplate the longer portable and long size models though.

The pen 's barrel is made of ebonite and is light in weight. Balance too is just nice, regardless of whether the cap is posted or not; personally I do not post my pens except for my Aurora Optima Mini, Marlen Vienna and the Pilot Legno 89s as these are very short pens. One can write for hours on end without fatigue with the Piccolo Cigar :thumbup:

On the first touch of the nib to paper I can immediately savour the buttery smoothness of the nib - it just glides on the paper. The nib is flexible too; in fact, too flexible for me that when I first used it and noted the varying line thickness that it produces I thought there's something wrong with the nib and/or feed - only after that did I remember that I had ordered the flexible medium nib :headsmack: - so the line variation, with the slightest pressure, is to be expected and it is my incompetence with using this kind of flexible nib that made me think unkind thoughts :headsmack: :headsmack: All my other pens have modern stiff nibs, and my only vintages are P51s and Snorkels which are just as stiff, so the flex in my Piccolo is a new experience for me :ltcapd: . And not an unpleasant one, I might add :thumbup:

Note that Nakaya does test the nib before they ship the pen out. They had installed a blue-black cartridge in mine and I'm now using it till the ink runs out before I either use another cartridge (it comes with a box of 10 cartridges, gratis) or start using the converter. :bunny01:

Shahrin :cloud9:

Thanks so much for the assessment of the pen, Shaharin. I have a pen pillow and one of those marvelous goldfish converters. It is funny how much fun accessories (read "toys") can be.

The minimalist aesthetics of the Nakaya pens is one of the draws for me, too. I love plain Jane pens where the emphasis is on the quality of the materials and not decoration. I am giving serious consideration to one of Nakaya's flex nbs on my next pen. I appreciate hearing about others' experiences with those nibs.