Nakaya has arrived!

Caboose

Frank,

Thanks. I may be saving for another Nakaya as well. There certainly are larger versions in their urushi lineup, if you are not averse to the rounded ends. Something is telling me that my next Japanese pen, other than possibly a Sailor Sapporo, will be a Maki-e. Those Danitrios that Kevin is tempting us with have me leaving a puddle on my keyboard :puddle:

Let us know when you start deciding on your next pen. After all, one thing there just is not enough of on this board is temptation :roflmho:

Cheers, Dean

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Caboose

• FrankB

• Phthalo

• Renzhe

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Renzhe and Taki for the translation. I admit, I missed it in Renzhe's post as well. The word I asked for was "Commitment". There were a couple of different meanings for this, and thus different Kanji, so I guess the one I chose translates best to "promise". That's good.

Dean

Dean,

The Chinese has another meaning for these characters:

http://hk.dictionary.yahoo.com/search.html?s=%AC%F9%A7%F4

約束

yue shu

ㄩㄝ ㄕㄨˋ

1.restraint; restriction; constraint; repression

2.to restrain; to restrict; to circumscribe; to repress; to hold in; to hold (or keep) sth. in check; to hem in; to tie down; to set measure to; to peg down; to bind sb. to

"約束"

Anyway, I have the same one as yours (in Black SF), it is a beautiful pen, exceptionally light & writes perfectly OFTB. There is something to say about a custom made pen...

Enjoy,

David

post-1111-1184021885_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vintage Pens Fan

The Kanshitsu grip is pleasant to use. It isn't rough in the slightest, it's burnished to a pretty smooth surface. It probably lends slightly more grip than the straight urushi, but not a lot. As shiny as the pen is, the urushi does not seem slippery, it seems to have a little resistance to it.

I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when I first uncapped the pen. The Kanshitsu appeared a little "plasticy" to me - at least as opposed to what I expected. The close-up shot above does a better job of showing the irregular nature of the urushi powder application used in Kanshitsu. It's growing on me now and I expect that as it ages, it's character will change and look less "artificial".

If I were to do it over again, I can't say at this point whether I would choose to have that treatment applied. I like that it adds a little more character, but the plain urushi is so pretty, it doesn't really need it. Totally a personal choice, but I wouldn't do it based only on grippability alone.

For reference, Phthalo has some beautiful pictures of a similar pen without the Kanshitsu grip. This might help you decide if it's something you would like. Do a search for "Nakaya" in the pen reviews section and look for her as the topic starter. I'm hoping she will pop in here when it's the right time in OZ to give her opinions as well.

Cheers, Dean

Dean, that is a very beautiful pen you got. And thanks for the personal comments on the Kanshitsu grip. I am seriously considering adding the Kanshitsu grip option to my next Nakaya purchase, and I've been going back and forth on this decision because of two concerns: whether the textured grip (1) might be too "rough" to use comfortably for an extended period of time and (2) will detract from the overall elegant beauty and smooth look of the urushi finish. Your personal observations really help. Thanks again.

Daniel

Very nice Nakaya!

It's actually very interesting for me to see a fresh Kuro-Tamenuri Piccolo. My Piccolo is 10 or so months old now, and the ends, cap lip, and grip section (non-kanshitsu) are getting brighter, plus the overall colour is slightly brighter too. I had forgotten how dark they are in the beginning. My Nakaya is always inked, and goes to work with me a couple of days a week.

My Piccolo has a regular EF nib - the regular nibs are quite firm. I refill my Platinum cartridges with a syringe, because the capacity is better. Also, the sound of the ball bearing inside the cartridge makes a nice echo and 'knocking' sound inside the ebonite barrel! :)

The kanshitsu grip is intriguing, but it's not something I would personally consider for any of my future Nakaya pens - to me, it gives quite a masculine look. However, maki-e grip sections are something else entirely... :cloud9:

Nakaya pens are something else... enjoy yours!

(My Piccolo review and photos are here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...owtopic=20884.)

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Phthalo, you are so very good at on line photos , would you consider posting a photo of your piccalo as it is now? I for one would love to see it.

That's a beaut, Dean! Hope you'll enjoy it!

It sounds as if you put a lot of thought into the choice, specifically with the Kanji. No need to go into personal details, but I'm presuming that this pen marks the occasion of something special in your life?

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Frank: I took some photos the other day, but the lighting wasn't quite as I wanted. However, I'm expecting a second Nakaya in a couple of weeks, so FPN will no doubt be inundated with photos of my Kuro-Tame and "new arrival" then! :D

Laura / Phthalo

Fountain Pens: My Collection

Frank: I took some photos the other day, but the lighting wasn't quite as I wanted. However, I'm expecting a second Nakaya in a couple of weeks, so FPN will no doubt be inundated with photos of my Kuro-Tame and "new arrival" then! :D

Oh great. Just what we need--more Japanese eye candy and bank account draining temptations. :unsure: :embarrassed_smile: :rolleyes:

:thumbup:

Looking forward to seeing them, Laura--and a before/after of your Piccolo! :)

[MYU's Pen Review Corner] | "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

Very nice Piccolo. The Kanshitsu grip gives it a whole new personality.

Just how do you plan on carrying that around with you? DId they forget to add the clip? ;)

I also have a Piccolo, and it fits nicely in one of the three slots of a Joon's carrying case. I really like the completely bare-bones design--the only downside, though, is that you have to grip the cap while you write for the first four months or so; then you may post the cap.

http://escribidor.home.att.net/Pens/Piccolo.jpg

Edited by Escribiente

:D Congrats!

Beautiful pen...... nice photos & thank you for sharing!

I love my Cigar Piccolo with elastic SEF..

Have been tempted to order a special order Nakaya lately but just unwilling to pay import duty on it. Still trying to figure up a way to get round it. I absolutely enjoy my Nakaya at the mean time.

EnJOY!!!!!!

David,

Thanks. I didn't realize that the same (or similar characters) were used in Chinese. While the meaning of the script in Chinese was not what I intended, it might serve as a good reminder when I pass the veding machine... :roflmho:

Daniel,

As you probably gathered from my previous post, you certainly needn't worry about the Kanshitsu being rough, at least it doesn't feel so on my pen. As far as detracting from the elegant simplicity of the pen - I have to say I think it does detract a bit, only becausei t reduces the amount of bare urushi. I like the masculine look (as Laura puts it :) ) personally. After all, it's hidden under the cap most of the time.

Laura,

I'd love to see more pictures of what to expect from the kuro-tamenuri with regard to aging. I know the Nakaya website says to expect this, and I look forward to it with my pen. What kind of syringe to you use to refill the cartridges? I purchased an extra box, but will want to refill, possibly with some other inks. I agree with you about the look that the Kanshitsu lends to the pen. I can completely understand why it wouldn't appeal as much to a woman. I wonder if Nakaya offers a diamond-plate option for the grip :roflmho: (that reference may be lost on my friends from Australia as I don't know what it's called there).

Rroossinck,

I did put quite a bit of thought into the entire pen, which you're actually compelled to do by the ordering process. I hope to pass this pen down to my children one day and the Kanji charchters for "commitment" (to spouse, children, family) reflect a value I have and want to pass on to them.

Escribiente,

Is there something about the urushi that I missed with regard to posting after four months? I assume it is still a bit soft and susceptible to scratching... is that the case? I don't plan on posting the cap on this pen, but that would be good info.

thw,

mayve your pen could just "ride along" with one of Phthalo's Nakaya's. I'm sure the one that is on it's way won't be the last. :P

Thanks to everyone for the impressions and input.

Dean

Excellent, Dean! Thanks for the explanation! I'm looking forward to handing down a pen or three to my children someday.

Of course...we need to adopt them first...but at least I've got the plans for heirlooms down. :)

Excellent, Dean! Thanks for the explanation! I'm looking forward to handing down a pen or three to my children someday.

Of course...we need to adopt them first...but at least I've got the plans for heirlooms down. :)

I think a pen is a great thing to hand down. I envy those who possess pens owned and used by their parents, grandparents, etc.. There's just something about a pen that you know was used in the past by someone you love. I think it evokes memories of that individual and/or inspires your imagination with regard to things that may have been written with that pen (love notes, notes to teachers, signing contracts, etc.).

Hey... I have two children... I can't very well have just one Nakaya to hand down now can I?? :ltcapd:

Cheers, and good luck with those adoptions!!

Dean

Thanks Dean. Right now, we're prayerfully considering Vietnam and Columbia for our adoptions. Our options are very limited these days, as my wife is an insulin-dependent diabetic. In fact, I'm not entirely sure that Columbia is a possibility either - they say "case by case."

Escribiente,

Is there something about the urushi that I missed with regard to posting after four months? I assume it is still a bit soft and susceptible to scratching... is that the case? I don't plan on posting the cap on this pen, but that would be good info.

In Nakaya's website, they show the Piccolo posted.

http://www.nakaya.org/piccolo/6-3.jpg

I asked if it's okay to post the cap, and I got the following reply:

Urushi lacquer is heavy-duty even used for table wares. It is true, however, the Urushi is soft and delicate when freshly painted. After three to six months, it will become harder. Then, posting the cap would not affect the urushi colour.

If you would like to be on the safe side, please wait for three to six months to post the cap on the Urushi pen.

Congratulations to another member of the Nakaya working group! Gorgeous pen! The Kanji script is a nice touch, IMHO.

Nakaya Writer Wajima-Urushi nuri Kikyo long pen fp - Grayson Tighe Twist Damascus fp - Mont Blanc Ramses mp - Pelikan M800 (2) - Restored 1936 Conklin Nozac fp - 1935 Waterman #3 mp - Namiki Falcon fp - Lamy Al-Star fp (2) - Parker 51 (8) - Swan/Mabie Todd fp - Wality 69L (3) - et alii

Ojars,

Thanks. Just out of curiosity, have you seen much difference in the color of your blue Nakaya. I'm sure it's a little different than the blackish-red and reddish-red, but I'm wondering how the blue color changes, if at all.

By the way, as much as I love my new pen, I would consider a straight trade for that car in your avatar... :roflmho:

Cheers, Dean

Ojars,

Thanks. Just out of curiosity, have you seen much difference in the color of your blue Nakaya. I'm sure it's a little different than the blackish-red and reddish-red, but I'm wondering how the blue color changes, if at all.

By the way, as much as I love my new pen, I would consider a straight trade for that car in your avatar... :roflmho:

Cheers, Dean

Dean,

The blue color appears uniform on the pen. I have the impression the color has become deeper and darker in time. I'll try another photo, if I can get similar lighting conditions. Unfortunately, I did not take shots indoors when I first received the Nakaya long writer.

:ltcapd: My Nakaya goes from 0-60 mph in less than 5 seconds and pulls more than 1g in a turn when properly mounted in the Lotus Elise. On the street Nakaya-Lotus gas mileage is about 27 mpg but much much less on a race track. I have no clue how many miles of writing I get per gallon of ink with the Nakaya!

Best regards,

John

Nakaya Writer Wajima-Urushi nuri Kikyo long pen fp - Grayson Tighe Twist Damascus fp - Mont Blanc Ramses mp - Pelikan M800 (2) - Restored 1936 Conklin Nozac fp - 1935 Waterman #3 mp - Namiki Falcon fp - Lamy Al-Star fp (2) - Parker 51 (8) - Swan/Mabie Todd fp - Wality 69L (3) - et alii