Sailor Manyo Shirakashi – a lazy review

A Smug Dill

Well that was a bad idea. I thought I'd just have a tiny look to see who had these in stock, and discovered they were reduced at Pure Pens. There may have been some slippage... Along with one or two other things for my christmas stocking.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pgcauk

• Detman101

• A Smug Dill

• JulieParadise

I have seduced! This review along with the recent review of El Lawrence posted here have driven me back to my fascination with this earthy green territory, which seems to be a regular Winter thing for me. For sure I haven't found my Grail ink yet, so while Shirakashi is en route, I have started sampling and smearing so I have something to compare it to. One page has loops of barbed wire in each color, but this one is the initial smears:

Inks of the Great War.jpg

Clarification: Only the brush marks are the named inks. All of the writing is in those currently enpenned: El Lawrence, Marone and Verde Muschiato.

Edited by pgcauk
Clarification

On 12/9/2020 at 6:04 AM, TitoThePencilPimp said:

How does this compare to Sailor Rykyu-Cha?

I love Julie Paradise's presentation of this ink but I'm disagreeing with her on this point. Having been seduced and got all my comparisons ready for (delayed) delivery (over here), I was slightly crestfallen to discover this is fundamentally identical Rikyu Cha but less saturated . . . . and then delighted to find that at this level of saturation an ink which I previously considered "too fussy" (green shifting to brown, red sheen and blue undertone - where's the kitchen sink!!) is a delightful, gentle ambiguity, somewhere between green and brown, grey and blue. No great science on this one, just first impressions, but amazing how so slight a difference can make such a significant one?!
Thanks to the Smug one for another great ink/straw on the camel's back!

Three Good Uns.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 12/8/2020 at 4:24 AM, JulieParadise said:

I have some images to contribute; those stem from an autumnal challenge over at the German PenExchange forum. Pen is a Pelikan M350 with a Medium Italic nib.

#31coloursofseasonautumn

2020 10 28 31cos-a Sailor Manyo Shirakashi 1.jpg

2020 10 28 31cos-a Sailor Manyo Shirakashi 2.jpg

2020 10 28 31cos-a Sailor Manyo Shirakashi 3.jpg

2020 10 28 31cos-a Sailor Manyo Shirakashi 4.jpg

2020 10 28 31cos-a Sailor Manyo Shirakashi JP jeat.jpg

Hmmm...they must have changed the formulation.
Your Shirakashi looks....Brown!
Mine is "cement-green"....bleh.

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

7 minutes ago, Detman101 said:

Your Shirakashi looks....Brown!
Mine is "cement-green"....bleh.

But which paper(s) are you using?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

22 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

But which paper(s) are you using?

You are correct.
Did initial review on Rhodia....only got "Cement Green".
Did a test on Oxford "Optik"....it shifted to brown! :D

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg

• 1 year later...

I was sold on this one by Julie Paradise's glorious artistic presentation. I found it intriguing, preferable to the esteemed Rikyu Cha in my mind, but ending up in a rotten leaf pile with KWZ Hunter, Noodler's El Lawrence, Diamine Salamander, De Atramentis Marron etc. etc. I seem to prefer my Browns a little more Grey and my Greens a little more Olive.

However . . . the accompanying ProGear Slim in Shirakashi, loaded with lovely dark Kobe #49, has become an instant everyday carry for me. I love the color, the nib is Sailor and the smaller size makes it easily pocketable (needs posting for any substantial writing). So, I am loving this color, just more as a pen than an ink!

6 hours ago, pgcauk said:

I was sold on this one by Julie Paradise's glorious artistic presentation. I found it intriguing, preferable to the esteemed Rikyu Cha in my mind, but ending up in a rotten leaf pile with KWZ Hunter, Noodler's El Lawrence, Diamine Salamander, De Atramentis Marron etc. etc. I seem to prefer my Browns a little more Grey and my Greens a little more Olive.

However . . . the accompanying ProGear Slim in Shirakashi, loaded with lovely dark Kobe #49, has become an instant everyday carry for me. I love the color, the nib is Sailor and the smaller size makes it easily pocketable (needs posting for any substantial writing). So, I am loving this color, just more as a pen than an ink!

Oh wow, Shirakashi is a pen color too!? 
How awesome is that!!! 
:D 

Eat The Rich_SIG.jpg