Sailor Manyo Shirakashi – a lazy review

A Smug Dill

Another one of eight new ink colours Sailor introduced in the second release of its “overseas exclusive” Manyo line of inks

spacer.png

Close-up:

ACtC-3fpo8n3Y4BKonVj2KGV_5KFxECXU74-SPWiACtC-3fyl6Qyo_0NegADDOLiBYxUZWmfKgmCdmVs

Colour: dark khaki / olive / murky green
Flow: moderate

Feathering: Not observed on Rhodia Dotpad 80g/m² paper, looking closely at the thinnest hatching lines, and words/glyphs ‘reverse-written’ with the nib upside-down (i.e. the bottom of the feed facing up)
Show-through: Low to nil
Bleed-through: Not observed

Drying time: 18–20 seconds
Smudging after fully dry: Didn't happen when I rubbed my thumb over the hatching/stippling panel and the largest Chinese hanzi chharacters
Water resistance: Good, as far as retaining legibility in the face of a spill or a dunking goes

Shading: Moderate, without having too drastic a delineation between lighter parts and darker parts along the same pen stroke; can be seen even in very narrow ink marks (i.e. when writing with the equivalent of an Extra Fine nib)
Sheen: None observed
Shimmer: None

My thoughts: I like its desaturated colour, and that it's a largely sheen-free ink good for where distractions from the written content is undesirable, but for the market price I don't know whether it stands head and shoulders above other murky green inks I have to compel me to buy more.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pgcauk

• Detman101

• A Smug Dill

• JulieParadise

A shop I peruse regularly was having a sale on the new Manyos and I picked up this one, Kakitsubata and Sakura. I love this one, it's like a simpler version of Rikyucha, which has lots more sheen and, to me, looks more brown.

Your hadwriting is beautiful.

Thanks for your very nice review. In the images the ink appears to be a distinctly grayed green, would that be right? I'm not a fan of gray inks, and this one looks like a green-tinged gray.

Cheers. 

Great review! OK... this ink is a must-have for me. I didn’t come across it before, so double-thanks for showing it here. A greenish grey ... absolutely gorgeous colour. Until now, I skipped Sailor inks, but obviously I have to reconsider.

Thanks for the review!  It looks like a quality ink....reminds me of El Lawrence.

Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are. 

~Theodore Roosevelt

Oh I really love the olive-like colour in this ink. It's murky in the best kind of way! Thanks for the review, will definitely hunt down this ink!

Thanks everyone!

As I mentioned to @yazeh, whose review (elsewhere!) of Noodler's El Lawrence — including swatch card comparisons against similarly hue inks — was what prompted me to open up my bottle of this ink and do a review of it, if I was of a mind to compare and contrast this against other inks, the first colours that come to mind would be El Lawrence (which I don't have), Noodler's Zhivago, Sailor Shikiori Rikyucha, Diamine Salamander (which had the reverse multi-hue effect on different papers compared with Rikyucha, if I recall), and possibly Diamine Classic Green, Diamine Evergreen and Monteverde Olivine for contrast with something greener. 🎨

His suggestion of adding Noodler's Burma Road Black to that list was a very good one.

Alas, this is a lazy review 😏, so no inking up other pens and/or with other colours for comparison.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

A colour that's definitely among my preferred! Thankfully, I have some of the other lovely murkies listed so I don't even need to look for it and that saves disappointment over something overly costly and/or unobtainium.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Thanks for the review

I dig in this color, looks very pretty and properties are also good plus decent water resistance is a big plus.

@JulieParadise You just showcase inks so well, it's an art form in itself! Your work is beautiful. Thank you for brightening up this review thread, notwithstanding that it's a desaturated murky green! :thumbup:

By the way, I can't get any sheen out of writing with the ink at all. Is there any sheen from your writing? I haven't tried a splatter on a heavy mixed-media-art paper swatch card yet; but I can see there is sheen in yours.

2 minutes ago, A Smug Dill said:

By the way, I can't get any sheen out of writing with the ink at all. Is there any sheen from your writing? I haven't tried a splatter on a heavy mixed-media-art paper swatch card yet; but I can see there is sheen in yours.

Thank you, esp. as I was, err, intruding your review. 😉

I have the sheet right in front of me, as I am just about to finish the notebook I used in October. You are right, there is no sheen whatsoever in my main text, only in the big drop where it is still visible. 

And yeah, it is a weird ink, a bit too murky and brownish/red (sounds strange for a green ink, I know). I need to try this ink in a wet (vintage) pen to come to a conclusion about whether I like it.

I appreciate all the ink reviewers. I think like many members I have no local shop to buy from so everything is an online purchase. It seems to me that many vendor descriptions and color swatches are not what I see once I get the ink. Even ordering a sample vial doesn’t always match the actual bottle. Add the difference of paper types, nib widths, and ink flow buying a new ink online is still a bit of a gamble.

Thank you for the resource!

Thanks to all submitting extra pics! It really helps get a full feel of an ink seeing how it responds in a different pen, different paper. And I for one always enjoy seeing the lovely writing and expressions of culture you bring to the reviews here. I still don't think I have a need for this ink, but it's nice to oooh and ahhh at the possible.

Oh, I must have this!
. . . . but wait, I already have these:

Shiyakashi alternatives w Taupe.jpg

- and also these:

Murky Tea Sketch b.jpg

- not to mention (a selection from!) my Taupe collection:

Taupe tryouts.jpg

. . . .  so can I modify that "must" to a "would like one day"? Can I??

Edited by pgcauk
Integrate images with text