Lady Sheaffer wrap-around nib detatched, nothing to hold it

Ailsabt

Hi,

I recently got a Lady Sheaffer (receipt in box Xmas gift from 1969). The nib has been detatched. I presume the threaded small bit of rubber just wore away which attaches the nib to the section as the nib is threaded. The feed is stuck and I'm not sure (what seems like a tiny gold ring at the top of the section - does that screw out?) how to take the feed out and clean it (I guess that's the least of my problems). Maybe the clutch ring screws out?  I imagine I have to rebuild the threads somehow also. A bit of guidance much appreciated. 

Ailsa

20201206_104400.thumb.jpg.04953ac09d1647e64322b2d76d2758b0.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ailsabt

• Ron Z

• Beechwood

• BaronWulfraed

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will be interested in seeing the expert comments on this problem having had the same problem, I made it so much worse when the feed crumbled in my fingers.

I'd suggest looking at the service manual linked via https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/345188-sheaffer-international-service-manual-pdf/?tab=comments#comment-4189412

You may have to study other models -- most of the "Lady Sheaffer" pens in that manual have the "fingernail" nib, so looking at a Triumph nib Imperial might be useful

Wow thanks for that link BaronWulfraed. Great advice for servicing the rest of the pen (and other Sheaffers I have). I would never have gone into that level of detail servicing, but I'm new at this. No mention of perished parts (probably would take longer than 10 years to perish), I guess they would just replace the pen point unit. I'd like to try and remake that tiny top bit of the point holder that threads into the nib. I should have taken a pic of it before it crumbled in my fingers too 🙄!

These nib mounts do crumble with age.  I don't know if its a reaction with ink or what.   I have loads of them - in colors other than black.  Black being the most popular color was most often replaced.

You'll need to take the collar out of the pen and pull the feed.  There's also a rubber seal at the back of the feed and around the piercing tube that needs to be repalced.  The originals have usually hardened by now.  The new ones are made out of a nitrile rubber.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Very interesting. So it's possible to buy these nib mounts? I've removed the feed and the rubber seal around the piercing tube seems good.