Sailor nibs

mke

I did this comparison of Sailor nibs EF, F, MF and M for someone else and thought this might be helpful for others too.

It seems like a big step between MF and M. I think I saw the same behaviour between Pilot M and F.

My writing world is clearly below M.

KoP Standard M, 1911 Std MF, ProGear F, 1911L: Sailor Blue-Black

PXL_20201205_130311402.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• mke

• Linger

• inkstainedruth

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very interesting.  When I got my Purple Cosmos Pro-Gear Slim, I ended up choosing between a zoom nib and a music nib; but if I were to ever get another Sailor Pen, I might go for an MF (Cult Pens was sold out of that nib width when I bought my pen a couple of winters ago).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Very interesting comparison. Just a thought, would a KOP nib M be different from a Sailor 1911 M?  Likewise would a 21k F nib be similar to the 14K F nib?

4 hours ago, cll said:

Likewise would a 21k F nib be similar to the 14K F nib?

21K gold large-sized F nib, or 21K gold medium-sized F nib, compared to the 14K gold medium-sized F nib?

Sailor refreshed its web site quite recently, and so the fountain pen products index page doesn't look the way it did (as shown in the image below) any more, but this might help all the same if you're somewhat confused by my clarifying question:

spacer.png

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

> KOP nib M be different from a Sailor 1911 M

Good question. They certainly will be somewhat different. The question is will we be able to realize the differences.

It seems I need to ink up some more Sailor pens. Please wait a few days. That is work for the weekend.

Regarding the nibs, see an older explanation from Sailor.

Sailor has only 4 types of nibs: 14k small, 21k small, medium and large. Details, which model has which kind of nibs - see that pdf from the link above.

And for those who want to search something in the old homepage: see here.

16 minutes ago, mke said:

Regarding the nibs, see an older explanation from Sailor.

Sailor has only 4 types of nibs: 14k small, 21k small, medium and large. Details, which model has which kind of nibs - see that pdf from the link above.

Sorry, but that is patently incorrect. The four types of nibs are 14K gold medium, 21K gold medium, 21K gold large and 21K gold extra large. It is not helpful to change Sailor's terminology to suit the way you (or maybe even other like-minded users) want to see it.

1864324837_FourtypesofgoldnibsfortheSailorProfitline.jpg.ea77d07f3926cf6d91ed7e47d6ed0e8d.jpg

I'm unable to find a page to confirm it, but I suspect there was an 18K gold small nib in Sailor's terminology — on the Chalana models that were discontinued back in 2012.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• 2 months later...

Hmm, information on sailorpen.co.uk is again different:

The Standard Nib Range in 14K (EF/F/MF/M/B/Z/MS)

The Standard Nib Range in 21K (EF/F/MF/M/B/Z/MS)

Professional Gear Series Nibs in Bicolor Gold, Bicolor Rhodium, Rhodium (no size info)

King of Pens' Nibs 21K (M/B)

Special Nibs - Naginata Series

How does this compare to the Sailor Japan homepage?

21 minutes ago, Linger said:

How does this compare to the Sailor Japan homepage?

I'm not sure what you mean by ‘compare’. The information regarding nibs presented separately by Sailor's Japanese and global sites is not contradictory, but the way it is organised is different for each site.

There's a nib options chart on page 27 of Sailor's 2021-2022 catalogue.

1 hour ago, A Smug Dill said:

I'm not sure what you mean by ‘compare’.

You already answered my question. 

By the way: is there an english/international version of the catalogue you referred to? That book seems v e r y comprehensive and I like it.

5 hours ago, Linger said:

is there an english/international version of the catalogue you referred to?

Not that I'm aware.

It looks to me a trade catalogue, for dealers, rather than a retail catalogue, for consumers. But there are retailers outside Japan, so it is not unreasonable to assume that there might be one in english. Well, let’s see. Maybe it pops up somewhere.

1 hour ago, Linger said:

It looks to me a trade catalogue, for dealers, rather than a retail catalogue, for consumers.

A banner right on the home (or front) page of the consumer-facing web site links and directs visitors to the artefact. I'd say it's intended for the prospective customer (in the Japanese domestic market, at least) to browse, notwithstanding the comprehensiveness and amount of product detail contained therein; I don't think Japanese business culture commonly subscribes to the doctrine of Keep it Simple, Stupid when dealing with interested consumers and prospective customers/clients.

Platinum has the same type of catalogue on its web site; and, even though Platinum seems to work the hardest, among the Japanese Big Three, in providing the same information in identical layouts in both Japanese and English on its primary web site, it hasn't published an English or ‘international’ version of its catalogue either. Prices are a key information item in such catalogues, but it wouldn't make sense to put either Japanese or regional market-specific pricing into an ‘international’ version of the document serving the outside world at large.