Sailor nibs

Rate Topic 0

I did this comparison of Sailor nibs EF, F, MF and M for someone else and thought this might be helpful for others too.

It seems like a big step between MF and M. I think I saw the same behaviour between Pilot M and F.

My writing world is clearly below M.

KoP Standard M, 1911 Std MF, ProGear F, 1911L: Sailor Blue-Black

PXL_20201205_130311402.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mke

• A Smug Dill

• inkstainedruth

• Barry Gabay

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

inkstainedruth

Very interesting.  When I got my Purple Cosmos Pro-Gear Slim, I ended up choosing between a zoom nib and a music nib; but if I were to ever get another Sailor Pen, I might go for an MF (Cult Pens was sold out of that nib width when I bought my pen a couple of winters ago).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Very interesting comparison. Just a thought, would a KOP nib M be different from a Sailor 1911 M?  Likewise would a 21k F nib be similar to the 14K F nib?

4 hours ago, cll said:

Likewise would a 21k F nib be similar to the 14K F nib?

21K gold large-sized F nib, or 21K gold medium-sized F nib, compared to the 14K gold medium-sized F nib?

Sailor refreshed its web site quite recently, and so the fountain pen products index page doesn't look the way it did (as shown in the image below) any more, but this might help all the same if you're somewhat confused by my clarifying question:

spacer.png

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct for valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

> KOP nib M be different from a Sailor 1911 M

Good question. They certainly will be somewhat different. The question is will we be able to realize the differences.

It seems I need to ink up some more Sailor pens. Please wait a few days. That is work for the weekend.

Regarding the nibs, see an older explanation from Sailor.

Sailor has only 4 types of nibs: 14k small, 21k small, medium and large. Details, which model has which kind of nibs - see that pdf from the link above.

And for those who want to search something in the old homepage: see here.

16 minutes ago, mke said:

Regarding the nibs, see an older explanation from Sailor.

Sailor has only 4 types of nibs: 14k small, 21k small, medium and large. Details, which model has which kind of nibs - see that pdf from the link above.

Sorry, but that is patently incorrect. The four types of nibs are 14K gold medium, 21K gold medium, 21K gold large and 21K gold extra large. It is not helpful to change Sailor's terminology to suit the way you (or maybe even other like-minded users) want to see it.

1864324837_FourtypesofgoldnibsfortheSailorProfitline.jpg.ea77d07f3926cf6d91ed7e47d6ed0e8d.jpg

I'm unable to find a page to confirm it, but I suspect there was an 18K gold small nib in Sailor's terminology — on the Chalana models that were discontinued back in 2012.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct for valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

The rest of my comparison will appear on my blog or on IG.