Cut off Lucky Curve Feed: Consequences?

express

Greetings Everyone,

Little by little, my vintage pen knowledge (and tiny collection) grows. 

I have now learned that the interior curved part of Parker Duofold Feeds (aka lucky curve, aka Christmas tree) are often found cut off.  It's my understanding that this curved end was supposed to contact the edge of the sack and wick away ink from the feed via capillary action when not in use, and they were cut off to allow the feeds to be knocked out through the nib end of the pen.

My question:  Can pens with this largely invisible modification, if restored by someone who knows what they're doing, still function well?  Has anyone run into consequences they believe stem from this?  Too wet, too dry, burping ink into the cap? 

If you're wondering why I'm asking (in addition to always-pleasant fountain pen small talk), I'm debating between buying a duofold that looks the way I want but has a cut off feed, and one that looks a little different but still has it intact.  I couldn't care less about resale value, rarity or bragging rights.  I'm a gentle user, but still a user and put functionality as the highest priority.

Thanks in Advance!

Jon

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• CursivesFoiledAgain

• FarmBoy

• makas

• express

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I doubt you will notice a difference in use.  Parker later in the production dropped the lucky curve.  You can identify non-LC feeds because they have a notch cut in the bottom of the feed and the feed will be neatly even with the back of the section nipple.  Often you will find feeds with the back end snapped off.

I'd not cut off or modify an intact feed, they are harder to find and in the very early pens add collector value.  If you need a cut off feed they are in great supply.  I'm sure you could have someone swap one with you.

FarmBoy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• 1 month later...

I had a similar "modified feed" question... been organizing/cleaning/researching my collection in these phlegmatic pandemic days. I have my grandfather's Big Red Duofold Jr., and am thinking of having it restored (barrel/cap are in fine shape, good plating, etc.) It's the earlier hard rubber model, but no discoloration or cracks.

Chiefly, it needs a new pressure bar and the nib is gone.

However, my feed has also had the Lucky Curve removed. The back end of the feed is slightly recessed into the nipple's casing, giving it a slight "rim" around it. I'm not sure if the nib is partly pulled out and - if it is not - if there will be a flow problem the way it is when reseated with the new nib. (Noting FarmBoy's comment above, "the feed will be neatly even with the back of the section nipple," made me wonder.)

I have someone lined up to do the work. He says, "Nib was damaged and when sent to repair it came back shortened. Parker factory did this for 50 years and that is good enough for me."  

So my question is: Does the nipple end of the modified Lucky Curve need to be flush to work properly. 

(And also: WHY would Parker cut their own signature feature off when servicing their pens, when I've seen videos of them being removed from them from the back  - which had to be how they were first fitted, right?)

fullsizeoutput_242f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2429.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_242b.jpeg

Hello

To answer your question about why Parker would remove the curve, it makes it easier to remove the nib and the second reason is it isn’t needed for the function of the pen. The question about it not flush with the end of the section, I wouldn’t worry about it but the big thing is to make sure the nib fits correctly. You can fix a lot of things with a different ink now that you couldn’t back in the day. We now have dry and wet inks that fix most flow issues and the money to be able to have the ones we want not just what you can get at the only store in town.

Mark