Red Tortoiseshell M600

Chiroptera121

I pre-ordered this for Xmas the minute I heard about it--couldn't resist the idea of a red M600. I'm kind of regretting it, since technically it's a copy of the M101n red tortoise, which I have, so a little repetitive in my collection.

Still think it'll be a knockout when it lands though! And I'm very glad they made the stripes transparent, which makes a huge difference imo. Eagerly awaiting to see what it looks like in the flesh...

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chromantic

• dms525

• Intensity

• TitoThePencilPimp

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ordered mine today from Cult, comes with a free 1-pen leather case but you have to add that to your basket. I hadn't noticed that offer when I ordered the M405 last week so I replied the the confirmation email, explained the situation and asked if they could send two cases. Haven't heard back yet.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

On 12/12/2020 at 1:36 PM, chromantic said:

Ordered mine today from Cult, comes with a free 1-pen leather case but you have to add that to your basket. I hadn't noticed that offer when I ordered the M405 last week so I replied the the confirmation email, explained the situation and asked if they could send two cases. Haven't heard back yet.

I made the same error, and, after reading your post, thought what the heck, it's worth a try.  And indeed it was; I just heard that they have added the case to my order.  So, thank you, Chromantic, for suggesting the idea, and thank you Cult Pens for providing such wonderful service.  They would have been perfectly within their rights to say "no", because I didn't follow the instructions.

I hope you have the same outcome.

Glenn.

^^ Eccles - Grats! Still haven't heard from them on that request but that gives me hope. The M405 did come with a free Moleskin journal but there was no action required on my part to get it. It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Monday).

I pre-ordered within minutes of seeing the first photos. M600's are the perfect size for everyday carrying in a shirt pocket, although I do prefer the M800 for everyday writing at my desk. 

The material appears quite different from the M101N red tortoise - more red. Less yellow. I like it.

I ordered from Dan Smith. Not the lowest price, but I like how he grinds cursive italic nibs for me. The M600 and M800 B and wider nibs grind to wonderful pens for calligraphy.

Hoping we all get ours soon!

David

I have the m101n Red Tortoise. Along with the m101n Green Tortoise, these are my favorite Pelikans.  Although, I preordered the m600 Red Tortoise,  I still prefer the color scheme of m101n Red Tortoise. This due to my preference of liking the barrel to be a different color than the cap or nib section( the place where you put your fingers??? I think its called this). That is one reason, why I did not buy the m600 vibrant orange. I wanted a black cap, not a translucent orange cap.  I make an exception for the Green Tortoise, because the pattern is a bit unique, and reminds me of a turtle ( I had a tortoise growing up).

On 12/14/2020 at 5:40 AM, chromantic said:

^^ Eccles - Grats! Still haven't heard from them on that request but that gives me hope. The M405 did come with a free Moleskin journal but there was no action required on my part to get it. It's scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Monday).

It was the journal on offer when I ordered the pen, and that was of less interest to me, which is probably why I overlooked it at the shopping basket stage.  While they've not said whether it's the case or the journal they are adding retrospectively, I'm  hopeful it will be the case because it's the current offer. Glenn.

5 hours ago, Eccles said:

It was the journal on offer when I ordered the pen, and that was of less interest to me, which is probably why I overlooked it at the shopping basket stage.  While they've not said whether it's the case or the journal they are adding retrospectively, I'm  hopeful it will be the case because it's the current offer. Glenn.

Cult emailed me yesterday to say they were including two cases with the Tortoise and I got an email today saying it had shipped! Yay! The blue-striped M405, which was projected to arrive yesterday, has only reached New York.

Please find some real life photos of the M600 Special Edition Tortoise-Red pens below. In our opinion they are far more beautiful in real life than on the promotion photos. 

M600Schildpatt-RotFH01.jpg.67c9e0f3e3b1f5cdc6944c5184b85fe2.jpg

M600Schildpatt-RotFH03.jpg.3c06c6b1a1cf48a47e0754651d50048f.jpg

M600Schildpatt-RotFH02.jpg.e88368a68aa93caf03be5d3e958fbbfe.jpg

M600Schildpatt-RotFH04.jpg.e0adf541bebeabe243f4e8edbc58eb6a.jpg

M600Schildpatt-RotFH05.jpg.294ab28d2b47aa0b45864d92bfea95dc.jpg

Kind regards,

Fritz Schimpf

Thank you for the real life photos, Fritz.

They are, indeed, gorgeous!!

I can’t wait to get mine.

I wish they would release it also in the M800 size (but I doubt it).

On 12/8/2020 at 5:07 AM, Carrau said:

I was joking that the pen was a hoax, too. 😉

:lol:

Definitely not a hoax though -- one of the places I get email ads from (don't recall which at the moment) sent out email this morning taking pre-orders.  But given how pricy the silver and white M405 is going to be, I suspect that this pen is definitely NOT going to be in my budget either.... :(

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

6 hours ago, Fritz Schimpf said:

Please find some real life photos of the M600 Special Edition Tortoise-Red pens below. In our opinion they are far more beautiful in real life than on the promotion photos. 

M600Schildpatt-RotFH01.jpg.67c9e0f3e3b1f5cdc6944c5184b85fe2.jpg

M600Schildpatt-RotFH03.jpg.3c06c6b1a1cf48a47e0754651d50048f.jpg

M600Schildpatt-RotFH02.jpg.e88368a68aa93caf03be5d3e958fbbfe.jpg

M600Schildpatt-RotFH04.jpg.e0adf541bebeabe243f4e8edbc58eb6a.jpg

M600Schildpatt-RotFH05.jpg.294ab28d2b47aa0b45864d92bfea95dc.jpg

Kind regards,

Fritz Schimpf

Gorgeous 😍 thanks for sharing!

Do the best you can, with what you have, where you are. 

~Theodore Roosevelt

I've preordered mine from Dan Smith with a cursive italic grind. Glad to see Pelikan offering such a beautiful pen in the 600 line! Like several others here the 600 is a perfect fit for my hands! Thank you, Pelikan!!

Mine arrived today in the midst of a nor'easter. Absolutely gorgeous! You know how there are orangey-reds and pinkish-reds, like the difference between Edelstein Garnet and Star Ruby? On this pen, the cap and piston knob have a slight orange-red tint, but in a very deep color, which is complemented by the warm tortoiseshell colors of the binde. 

The tortoiseshell is particularly pretty--with rich, glowing colors, not too-regular or machined-looking.

Fritz Schimpf's photos, above, are a good representation. His light is a little warmer than mine.

I plan to ink it up after dinner with Noodler's FPN Dumas Tulipe Noire. 

Very glad I preordered, hope it arrives soon! I love the 600 size, it's a great work pen for me. I'm going to ink it with Diamine Communication Breakdown as soon as it arrives!

7 minutes ago, daveyisgreat said:

Very glad I preordered, hope it arrives soon! I love the 600 size, it's a great work pen for me. I'm going to ink it with Diamine Communication Breakdown as soon as it arrives!

That should be a nice combination.

Tulipe Noire is a sort of brownish-purple, like a pinot noir. Not a match for the pen, but a nice complement, and easy on the eyes.

The extra-fine nib writes beautifully. Makes me wish I had beautiful handwriting to deserve it.

My wife's M600 red arrived today. It is gorgeous! In fact much more beautiful than I thought.

But, I was a little disappointed that there is no translucency whatsoever. So, no way to check the ink level.

Even with the cell phone light behind the pen, one can only (with difficulty) see a very faint line.

Still, I'm keeping the order for mine.