So what new pens are there during the hiatus

Mech-for-i

On 12/26/2020 at 3:26 PM, MuddyWaters said:

This is the one I am talking about:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/10-PCS-Hero-329-Classic-Extra-Fine-Fountain-Pen-Set-Vintage-Writing-Pen-/192886736122

It surprised me that you said it is some sort of upgrade on the 616. I do not see a huge quality difference. The plastic and heft of the pen seems to be similar. And these 329 are very small, smaller than the 616. I may have misunderstood your post but you said they were all longer than the 616. 

The one hero pen in my posession that is clearly higher quality than the 616 is the 565 you mentioned, except that I find its nib has a little bit of a sweet spot, is broader (around a medium) and is stiff as hell.

It has that little design on the plastic near the nib, as do some of the 329 variants:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/3Pcs-Hero-329-2-Vintage-Plastic-Metal-Cap-Fountain-Pen-0-5mm-Nib-Writing-Gift-s-/174139027078

Is that a marker of greater quality compared to the 616? 

On 12/26/2020 at 5:44 PM, Mech-for-i said:

I do not think I ever mention the size being longer or larger, did I got something missed  ??? well I did mention the nib is longer and wider, but its only the nib.

Well , as far as quality goes that's what Hero aim for and it do materialize, though for most who are not into using these pens for length of a period and experience they would feel very similar. My experience personally is that the 329 family is in usage more consistent in delivering the ink and in the writing part , generally smoother than the 616 but you had to be real familiar with both to sense the difference and its probably not that apparent if you are not writing the home language. It is though more apparent when using for home language writing.

Upon your case , you are talking about using the 329 EF ( as those on your link ) and they are known to be very positively giving feedback and very firm and very dry ( for cursive writing ) but its doing the part of writing the home language in EF admirably, and generally considered not that great in most cursive writing , unless you write casual pace and real small. Being  bit too generalized, but the usual Chinese Extra Fine fountain pen , even todays tend to be tuned fairly to very dry, and with a very firm nib coupled with fairly positive feedback . its a great property to had for writing the home language in extra fine and the opposite for writing anything like Cursive

One had to know that, as far as Hero goes, the better part is for writing the home language and not cursive nor any Latin based language , so the firm / sweet spot part is really only a by product of such, in fact the Hero 565 use the same nib as all the Hero 329 family but it use a different feed ( due to size difference in the hood ).

Most of us write cursive , daily writing / penmanship as how we had been taught in school and it is very different vs what Hero tune the pen for , basically daily usage quasi-Calligraphy / Cursive Chinese writing , and yes sometime you got to find these with or without that hood inlaid , its probably due to the large volume of production to cater to various order both home and export market.

if you are looking for a good all rounder from the family , I would suggest instead look for the 330/331/332/336 export model , while they use the same engineered parts, they usually are fashioned with a nib that's tailored for , export market , which mean they had a grind that's less a quasi architect ( which is the usual home version ) but more a krugal ( still not quite )but all of them are not current, the only current model is the 329-2 ( 2nd link on your post ) and the 329 EF ( which is the pen you had and also the one on the 1st link )

Well here they are the 3XX from Hero ( and the Star Trek models ) :) :

Hero 343 , Hero 338 , Hero 340 , Hero 330 Golden AL Phoenix and Dragon, Hero 330 , 
Hero 329 Steel Cap , Hero 329 Golden Cap, Hero 336 , Hero 332 , Hero 328 .

Hero 343.jpg

Hero 328.jpg

Hero 329 G.jpg

Hero 329 S.jpg

Hero 330 AL.jpg

Hero 330.jpg

Hero 332.jpg

Hero 336.jpg

Hero 338.jpg

I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• Stefan-Ionut-Marius

• drathbun

• Bikerchick

Hero 340.jpg

Ionut - Marius

And the least known :

Hero 941 , Hero 132 .

Hero 941.jpg

Hero 132.jpg

Ionut - Marius

Well the Hero 616 S it's on the market from some time but i can't find it anywhere , anyone have a link for this pen ?

Ionut - Marius

Oops.

"There are thousands of thoughts lying within a man that he does not know 'till he takes up the pen and writes."

- William Thackeray

On 2/21/2021 at 9:14 PM, Stefan-Ionut-Marius said:

Well the Hero 616 S it's on the market from some time but i can't find it anywhere , anyone have a link for this pen ?

Hello Ionut, 

Impressive collection of hooded nib pens! 

Have you tried messaging mentag on ebay or office-supplies-pen? They may provide the pen you seek. 

On 2/28/2021 at 10:02 AM, sciumbasci said:

Hello Ionut, 

Impressive collection of hooded nib pens! 

Have you tried messaging mentag on ebay or office-supplies-pen? They may provide the pen you seek. 

Thanks ! I will try with Boby from office-supplies-pen !

Ionut - Marius

• 3 months later...
On 12/17/2020 at 6:01 AM, Mech-for-i said:

This is how the new 616s and the H0503 looks like

516973020_Hero-616sH0503.thumb.jpg.14dcd7ee9a51c2322b35f4f46ce93100.jpg

the 616s spot a domed instead of pointed cap jewel that's colour matched to the body, the barrel on it is a metal construction ( not sure what material ) with a brass thread insert where the section remain plastic , its essentially the 616 Plus parts. The H0503, curiously use a wide throat ( aka 3.2mm ) converter not the usual default Hero , got to take it apart to see how its engineered.   but it looks like it retain the old thin rod feed and separate ink collector mechanism instead o the single piece buffered feed the 616s had.

And NO , the colour Hero use is not the same as Wing Sung , its more muted and more grey in there

Any ideas when this 616S will become available, Mech? 

The only "new" 616 I've seen is this one. As you can see it does have the domed cap jewel you speak of, but no inlay on the section: 

H73cd3b12e0c74777b8d8253df8d950c2m.jpg

I bought it in red and the barrel is made out of plastic, not metal, so I'm assuming this is not a 616S. 

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

On 6/7/2021 at 6:38 PM, Bikerchick said:

Any ideas when this 616S will become available, Mech? 

The only "new" 616 I've seen is this one. As you can see it does have the domed cap jewel you speak of, but no inlay on the section: 

H73cd3b12e0c74777b8d8253df8d950c2m.jpg

I bought it in red and the barrel is made out of plastic, not metal, so I'm assuming this is not a 616S. 

Well no that it's the Hero 616 mk2, it's on the market for quite some time !

The Hero 616 S i seen only on one seller on Aliexpress .

Ionut - Marius

3 hours ago, Stefan-Ionut-Marius said:

Well no that it's the Hero 616 mk2, it's on the market for quite some time !

The Hero 616 S i seen only on one seller on Aliexpress .

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that seller, would you? 😉

What is this money pit obsession hole I have fallen into? 

My other passion

21 hours ago, Bikerchick said:

You wouldn't happen to have a link to that seller, would you? 😉

It is an ok seller, albeit a bit slow ! 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001741207679.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.59184c4dvmuTV5

Ionut - Marius

• 8 months later...
On 2/22/2021 at 1:35 AM, Stefan-Ionut-Marius said:

Well here they are the 3XX from Hero ( and the Star Trek models ) :) :

Hero 343 , Hero 338 , Hero 340 , Hero 330 Golden AL Phoenix and Dragon, Hero 330 , 
Hero 329 Steel Cap , Hero 329 Golden Cap, Hero 336 , Hero 332 , Hero 328 .

Hero 343.jpg

Hero 328.jpg

Hero 329 G.jpg

Hero 329 S.jpg

Hero 330 AL.jpg

Hero 330.jpg

Hero 332.jpg

Hero 336.jpg

Hero 338.jpg

Hi i can't match with model is to which pen as they are 12 models in text and 9 models in pictures.

I'm looking for a fine nib pen with a converter or a sac.

Only know about 343 which i got today

5 hours ago, Shyahi said:

Hi i can't match with model is to which pen as they are 12 models in text

I only counted ten.

5 hours ago, Shyahi said:

and 9 models in pictures.

Try looking closely at their filenames (which form part of their URLs).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.