Finally, back online again!

wimg

1 hour ago, DilettanteG said:

Thanks so much for resurrecting FPN! I really appreciated the almost daily posted updates as well. I was a bit worried the problems were going to be unfixable after the first several days, but the brief progress reports kept my hope alive. So glad FPN is back.

:)

I don't easily give up, but that was my only way of letting everybody know we were working on it, and that despair was not necessary yet ;).

Warm regards, WIm

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• ParramattaPaul

• aimi

• DrScholl

I missed FPN. I tried once to log in to FPGeeks. Couldn’t remember my password which saved me from posting something less than nice on one of their political threads. I’m glad FPN does not encourage political posting. 

I visited ink blogs, tried to use my pens. Wrote some letters. But I missed this place a lot. Thank you for making it better. It’s a lot of responsibility, and all who work on FPN do a great job. 

Posted Image

45 minutes ago, Misfit said:

I missed FPN. I tried once to log in to FPGeeks. Couldn’t remember my password which saved me from posting something less than nice on one of their political threads. I’m glad FPN does not encourage political posting. 

I visited ink blogs, tried to use my pens. Wrote some letters. But I missed this place a lot. Thank you for making it better. It’s a lot of responsibility, and all who work on FPN do a great job. 

There's political threads on FPG?

I somehow missed that, not that I'm interested. 

Though I don't post terribly much, I loved having FPN here as a resource, was a real bummer to see it down for so long.  Glad to have it back!

On a related note, is there any plan to add themes, or does anyone have a greasemonkey extension or something to them FPN with something a little less eye-searing?  Glad to see the site managed to survive in one piece, but this light theme is a bit difficult for me to use for any length of time.

1 minute ago, Baalberithim said:

Though I don't post terribly much, I loved having FPN here as a resource, was a real bummer to see it down for so long.  Glad to have it back!

On a related note, is there any plan to add themes, or does anyone have a greasemonkey extension or something to them FPN with something a little less eye-searing?  Glad to see the site managed to survive in one piece, but this light theme is a bit difficult for me to use for any length of time.

Yes, we are planning to, but so far nothing has struck as yet as something that works well enough. Of course, the current version of the forum software is quite new, so in a few months I am sure there is more available.

When we are finished with tweaking stuff and fixing minor issues, we will see in how far we can actually tweak the current theme.

However, that is not going to happen in the next few days or so, there still is too much to do making everything here work properly.

Of course, it is also a matter of funding - we have exhausted our current funds quite drastically with the migration to a new server, and the upgrade to the new software and new add-ons, even though we should be ok for about a year considering our hosting service contract, but we do not have much left in the kitty for all but really essential stuff right now.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

Cool, I've got a Firefox add-on that dark-modes anything for now, though it can be a bit ugly at times depending on the site, so a native version is always appreciated.  Thanks for the reply and all the work in the migration!

All I can say is Dayum, dis place looks Noice.

Fast and responsive too.

>8[ This is a grumpy. Get it? Grumpy smiley? Huehue >8[

I tend to ramble and write wallotexts. I do that.

1 hour ago, charliej said:

RSS?????

When we get there. Original plan for upgrade was 6 months, we did it now, after fixing databse and server migration, in 2 1/2 weeks double time. That was barely enough to get FPN going again. Now we first need to deal with the major add-ons, including the ones no one really can see other than the result, on of them beign that there actually is an FPN website.

Thereafter, the smaller things, like RSS.

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I have some idea of the effort that this all must have required. But I also know that working with a modern platform will help in so many way. 

Congrats to all involved!!

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

I'm also glad to see this site back, well done Wim (et al.?)!

I can't even imagine dealing with such a massive site!

The first two weeks were a nice break for me, after that I was missing browsing FPN 😼

Hope everyone's well (pandemic and all), nice to see so many familiar names again and so many new members!

You don't know what you've got till it's gone.  Well done in bringing it back :thumbup:

When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe.

John Muir

Thank you so much for all the hard work that went into the upgrade! It’s a delight to have The Fountain Pen network back!

As kids, some girls wanted to be princesses. I wanted to be Morticia Addams. Or Nikola Tesla. Preferably both.

YAAAAYYYYYYY!!!! I was finally actually able to make an account and join! For a year I've only been able to read as a guest the countless threads that pop up via Google searches :(

Thank you admins for all your hard work and running this thing. 

I miss the old school BB style forums so much, this almost brings a tear. THANK YOU for keeping this thing alive!

Edited by TheInkBunny

9 minutes ago, TheInkBunny said:

I miss the old school BB style forums so much, this almost brings a tear.

I can't agree more. These ancient layouts where much more reader friendly than those modern clicky candy style text bubbles.

Or maybe I'm just getting old. And grumpy. 🧐

1 hour ago, Astronymus said:

I can't agree more. These ancient layouts where much more reader friendly than those modern clicky candy style text bubbles.

Or maybe I'm just getting old. And grumpy. 🧐

BB style forums we will not go back to, ever, although if I ever get a chance, and find the time, I may create a simple theme anyway. Have done so before :).

But first, let's get everything working here as it should. Should be done in about 3-4 months :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman