Finally, back online again!

wimg

Thanks for the quick answers, I had missed this part...

My somewhat innocent question came from the fact that on the French "styloplume-org" forum we can edit the posts like forever. This allows us, for example, to repost photographs when your previous hosting site has closed down, as they seem prone to do... This comes quite handy when you've spent time with a pen or ink review; 2 confinements here have seen the revival of many a great post 🙂

Just saying, though, not questionning the rules in any way 😉

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• wimg

• ParramattaPaul

• aimi

• DrScholl

4 hours ago, DrScholl said:

Thanks for the quick answers, I had missed this part...

My somewhat innocent question came from the fact that on the French "styloplume-org" forum we can edit the posts like forever. This allows us, for example, to repost photographs when your previous hosting site has closed down, as they seem prone to do... This comes quite handy when you've spent time with a pen or ink review; 2 confinements here have seen the revival of many a great post 🙂

Just saying, though, not questionning the rules in any way 😉

That's interesting! Certainly one of those instances where it can be argued that an indefinite editting possibility makes sense, really annoying when pics get lost because hosting sites turn stupid (or one discovers vexing typos!! argh!!).

Everything has its pros and cons, eh? 😉

BTW I lurk on styloplume! I like the SDD threads!

Personally, but that's just me, I find the picture thing a non-issue. Just upload them to the FPN site and you're done. I can't avoid thinking that anyone posting links to pictures outside does so because they want to keep full control of them, which only makes sense to be able to remove them at a later point for convenience, cos' if you intend to never delete them, the easiest is to include them in the post directly.

I know many like to thing that by offering a link to a picture in a hosting service they can have the picture in just one place (which is absurd if you don't intend to remove it from the post/modify it, as including it costs you nothing), they can save the effort of uploading it again if it already is in the hosting site (which to me reflects a lack of consideration for readers: you need to visit the hosting site anyway to get the link, so all you save is a quick step of downloading and uploading the picture), or they can offer access to a higher quality image than permitted by FPN rules (which is almost the only excuse I see, but if that's the case, and you are so concerned to offer the best to fellow FPNers, why not upload a lower resolution one and make the picture a link to the higher resolution, externally hosted one?).

Now, that is me, and certainly each one is entitled to do as they best consider, which is as it should be, and we must (and I do) respect others' opinions; but so do I feel entitled to my own one, which I laid out above. And much as I would like others to change their views on this topic, I am willing to change mine, so if you see it otherwise, I'm all for listening to your points of view. It's never too late to learn something new and grow wiser.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

I find posting on the new platform much more intuitive, especially when it comes to photos. The whole forum also feels faster, more responsive. I also find locating and accessing older posts/threads easier.

All in all, I love the new FPN.

On 12/29/2020 at 12:16 PM, txomsy said:

Personally, but that's just me, I find the picture thing a non-issue. Just upload them to the FPN site and you're done. I can't avoid thinking that anyone posting links to pictures outside does so because they want to keep full control of them, which only makes sense to be able to remove them at a later point for convenience, cos' if you intend to never delete them, the easiest is to include them in the post directly.

I know many like to thing that by offering a link to a picture in a hosting service they can have the picture in just one place (which is absurd if you don't intend to remove it from the post/modify it, as including it costs you nothing), they can save the effort of uploading it again if it already is in the hosting site (which to me reflects a lack of consideration for readers: you need to visit the hosting site anyway to get the link, so all you save is a quick step of downloading and uploading the picture), or they can offer access to a higher quality image than permitted by FPN rules (which is almost the only excuse I see, but if that's the case, and you are so concerned to offer the best to fellow FPNers, why not upload a lower resolution one and make the picture a link to the higher resolution, externally hosted one?).

Now, that is me, and certainly each one is entitled to do as they best consider, which is as it should be, and we must (and I do) respect others' opinions; but so do I feel entitled to my own one, which I laid out above. And much as I would like others to change their views on this topic, I am willing to change mine, so if you see it otherwise, I'm all for listening to your points of view. It's never too late to learn something new and grow wiser.

As to image size, that actually is no longer an issue :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

On 12/29/2020 at 12:16 PM, txomsy said:

It's never too late to learn something new and grow wiser.

Thanks to everyone's kind answers I just learned that FPN can host images. So I humbly apologise for my ignorance which is now cured  😊 and you can forget my remark about photographs which was never meant to rise any issue.

And whenever I edit my posts or write new ones I'll take time to host my pictures here on FPN, seems pretty straightforward especially now with the new forum

Regards to all

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Viseguy said:

Haven't been here for a while, but ... lookin' good! B)

Thank you!

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

WOW!!!

WE'RE BACK!!!

SQUEEEEEE!!!

*kisses metaphorical ground .... repeatedly*

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Thank you, everyone who's worked so hard to resurrect our beloved forum.

2020 has been the suckiest year on record and losing FPN was just one more point of suck. Thank you SO much for making it a temporary inconvenience rather than an irreparable loss.

We've had far too much of those already.

Here's to a NEW FPN and a brigher (and lighter) future.

God, thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I apologize if this has been discussed earlier in the thread already, but I noticed on one of my posts I could see mine and others' stats underneath our usernames. Is this something we'll have going forward? It's not on every post, strangely!

1 minute ago, aimi said:

I apologize if this has been discussed earlier in the thread already, but I noticed on one of my posts I could see mine and others' stats underneath our usernames. Is this something we'll have going forward? It's not on every post, strangely!

We are always testing new stuff, that was one of them, with soem default stuff enabled, which now has been disabled. We are investigatign the possibilities and usabilities first, before makign anythign active. As mentioned, it is a little unfortunate that it comes standard with a lot fo things enabled.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

19 minutes ago, wimg said:

We are always testing new stuff, that was one of them, with soem default stuff enabled, which now has been disabled. We are investigatign the possibilities and usabilities first, before makign anythign active. As mentioned, it is a little unfortunate that it comes standard with a lot fo things enabled.

HTH, warm regards, Wim

Thank you, Wim :) That makes sense! Excited to see what comes next for the forum.

FYI: the site is a bit scrambled just now. not the usual UI but lots of text and bare links. 

thought you would like to know.

bob

It actually was a corrupted CSS-file, caused by an add-on.

I'll have to check which one caused that, but will do so on our test site :).

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

1 minute ago, kenyon said:

Thanks for the fix... best, bob

:)

Doing too many things at once, so took me an hour to notice it ....

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman

I LOVE dark mode, but the loading image is still bright and it flashes by so quickly it hurts the eyes a bit. Is it possible to change that to something transparent or dark as well when dark mode is on? Appreciate all the work the mods put in, and I understand if this isn’t possible :) have a great week!