OCArt

I have been using Noodlers Baltimore Canyon blue for a couple of weeks now and really like it. This is a very saturated and strong blue similar to Monteverde Horizon Blue, Diamine Blue Velvet, Private Reserve DC Supershow Blue and the like. In fact it is not that far from the vibrancy of Baystate Blue!

It is fairly well behaved, without much feathering or bleed through, but does suffer from the occasional hard start. Noodlers claims that it is waterproof, sheening, archival and permanent. In my tests it is very waterproof but I did not detect any sheening. Who knows how Noodlers tests to make the claims of archival and permanent? If these two characteristics are very important to you I would probably recommend Montblanc Permanent Blue which has been tested to meet ISO standards.

I chose a Lamy Safari with a Broad nib for the main body of this review. The names of the comparable inks were written with a glass dip pen.

fpn_1604212263__baltimore_canyon_large_1

The swabs in the scans show a much larger difference between the color and saturation of Baltimore Canyon and Baystate Blue. Here is a photo closeup that is more accurate to the swabs.

fpn_1604212425__small_photo.jpg

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OCArt

• yazeh

• inkstainedruth

• aurore

Thank you very much!

If I may ask, what about staining and cleaning? I mean how does it (from your experience) seem to compare in this regard with bulletproof inks, standard non-water resistant inks or eventually IG inks, nano-pigment inks etc.
Thank you again.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

Really like this colour.... Thanks for the review!

It's funny, I can see shading with the scan... and quite a bit... :)

Shading, I think you are right. :yikes: I just looked at the original page with a magnifier and do see some. I'll report back on possible staining once the ink has sat in the Safari converter for a while. It takes several flushes to clean out but that is not dissimilar to other highly saturated inks. The dry time is significantly longer.

Really like this colour.... Thanks for the review!

It's funny, I can see shading with the scan... and quite a bit... :)

Shading, I think you are right. :yikes: I just looked at the original page with a magnifier and do see some. I'll report back on possible staining once the ink has sat in the Safari converter for a while. It takes several flushes to clean out but that is not dissimilar to other highly saturated inks. The dry time is significantly longer.

I noticed with Noolder's shading inks, that dry time is often high (Kiowa Pecan, Golden Brown and Black Swan in Australian Roses)....

Whilst you're at it, if you have some TR laying around, you might discover some seeing :P

I knew not to look! Love the color!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this review -- and many thanks too to Wim (our FPN Administrator here) for getting everything back to life in this forum. You did say that this ink is fairly well behaved, but to be more picky, I'd like to ask you if this ink is as well behaved as Horizon Blue? No harm meant, but "fairly well behaved" in conjunction with Noodler's inks doesn't really have to mean a lot (IMO). Several Noodler's inks I have are "fairly well behaved" in comparison with other (not very well behaved) Noodler's inks, but by no means well enough behaved to satisfy my needs.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

On 11/27/2020 at 6:52 AM, lapis said:

Thanks for this review -- and many thanks too to Wim (our FPN Administrator here) for getting everything back to life in this forum. You did say that this ink is fairly well behaved, but to be more picky, I'd like to ask you if this ink is as well behaved as Horizon Blue? No harm meant, but "fairly well behaved" in conjunction with Noodler's inks doesn't really have to mean a lot (IMO). Several Noodler's inks I have are "fairly well behaved" in comparison with other (not very well behaved) Noodler's inks, but by no means well enough behaved to satisfy my needs.

I don't use Horizon Blue enough to offer a valid comparison but my only problems with Baltimore Canyon were some hard starts but there seemed fewer than with MB Permanent Blue.

On 11/27/2020 at 3:52 PM, lapis said:

Meanwhile I have asked about 10 users of this ink and all are very satisfied with the flow and overall behaviour.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

Thanks for the review, I can see shading as well....sheen...well if darkened side is called sheen then yeah, but I don't think that is the case. Apart from that this looks classic blue to me overall not bad. Hard starts are a bummer though

Baltimore Canyon is fast becoming one of my favorite blue inks.  It's a little more vibrant and also more water resistant than Noodler's Liberty's Elysium.  I haven't flushed it out of the pen it's in yet (TWSBI 580-AL, Pink, B nib) so I don't know how prone it will be to staining.  The problem is that it's such a beautiful color I haven't wanted to flush the ink out -- I just keep reaching for the bottle to refill the pen.... :blush:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth..

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks for your nice review OCArt. Strange but the closeup photo makes the ink looks bluer in my humble opinion. In the other photos the ink looks paler and seems  to have a small hint of green in it.

The small photo probably has better color correction.  This ink was in a Lamy Safari converter for over a month with no staining. Like Ruth above, I find myself always reaching for the pen filled with this ink. You'll enjoy it.

2 hours ago, Patrick L said:

Thanks for your nice review OCArt. Strange but the closeup photo makes the ink looks bluer in my humble opinion. In the other photos the ink looks paler and seems  to have a small hint of green in it.

• 8 months later...

I got a bottle of it some week ago.

It is a well behaved ink, in particular considering the water resistance.

But I found my bottle quite far from the vibrancy of Baystate Blue. Is really far from it.

14 hours ago, fabri00 said:

I got a bottle of it some week ago.

It is a well behaved ink, in particular considering the water resistance.

But I found my bottle quite far from the vibrancy of Baystate Blue. Is really far from it.

Oh it's not nearly as eye-searing as BSB.  But that's okay with me.  The neon purple undertones to BSB are not to my taste (the same way the purple undertones to J Herbin Rose Tendresse set my teeth on edge...).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."