Parker 51 Curiosity?

Carguy

Why did Parker put 14K clips on pens and pencils when the caps are 16K gold filled?

Does that really improve the value that much for ones found in the wild?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Parker51

• Barry Gabay

• FarmBoy

• Carguy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The highest line 51s had solid gold caps and trim. Next down was gold filed cap with solid gold trim followed by all gold filled.

Yes they command a premium.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Why did Parker put 14K clips on pens and pencils when the caps are 16K gold filled?

Does that really improve the value that much for ones found in the wild?

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike

If I am reading your question correctly, you are asking “why does a cap filled in 16k gold have a clip whose gold content is only 14k?”.

My guess as an answer to that question would be that filled/plated 16k gold may be too ductile/malleable/weak to be able to cope with the bending stresses placed on the clip without flaking off, whereas a solid 14k gold clip may be able to have enough non-gold metal content to be able to handle the strain/stress without bending.

I didn’t know that they made pens with 16k-filled caps - I’d only previously been aware of ‘rolled gold’ caps that are marked 12k.

But then, I’m not personally overly fond of the appearance of yellow gold on pens, so have never sought out any “51”s that have gold caps, so will freely admit that I am very ignorant about them.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

If I am reading your question correctly, you are asking “why does a cap filled in 16k gold have a clip whose gold content is only 14k?”.

My guess as an answer to that question would be that filled/plated 16k gold may be too ductile/malleable/weak to be able to cope with the bending stresses placed on the clip without flaking off, whereas a solid 14k gold clip may be able to have enough non-gold metal content to be able to handle the strain/stress without bending.

I didn’t know that they made pens with 16k-filled caps - I’d only previously been aware of ‘rolled gold’ caps that are marked 12k.

But then, I’m not personally overly fond of the appearance of yellow gold on pens, so have never sought out any “51”s that have gold caps, so will freely admit that I am very ignorant about them.

You both got the gist of my questions. I guess I was surprised to find GF caps with solid gold trim. Seems that this would have been reserved for the solid gold caps but I guess not. I suppose it was a sales pitch option, but who knows?

Keep in mind that at the time the Parker 51 were designed and made several diferent factors were in play.

Heavy competition had given way to limited availability of supply as production numbers were cut, while there was a high demand for pens, due to increased workforce participation, increased individual income and decreased competitition for said income. This created a situation that lead to dealers complaining about having no pens to sell once any and all pens left over from previous years were gone. And most dealers had little accumilated stock going into 1942 because of the long depression of the 1930s caused a thinning of orders during that period due to a lack of demand and the economy and pen demand having only gotten back to a good level.

There was a restriction on many materals used to make pens. However as the US was not facing an import deficit, there were not restrictions on two materials used to make pens: gold and silver.

But, there were price controls on nearly all products, including Pens.

So, price increases could not occur.

But, luxury designs themselves were highly profitable, typically much more than lower priced pens.

And so the result, beautiful luxury pens and pencils made with gold and silver at high price points wer made and sold.

The result, while typically they were used as a persons only pen and mechanical pencil, sometimes they were saved and survive today.

So, subtle distinctions in caps and clips reflect different price points and subtle model distinctions as well as different amounts that the pen could be sold at. Clips are light and even if made of gold actually contain little of it compared to caps made of gold, which were much more rare and much more expensive. So expensive that one would likely not use a gold pen on a daily basis. Remember most pens and pencils then were used.

Good morning,

It is so interesting to consider outside factors & their impact on fountain pen production. As Parker51 mentioned above, there was less demand for new products during the Great Depression. Later, there were restrictions on production, especially during WWII, when manufacturers cut consumer production and concentrated on the war effort. Parker was no exception. I find it ironic that gold and silver were not considered as strategic materials during the war, but steel was. Thus, there are a number of 51s with gold and silver caps and gold trim from the war years, when Lustraloy caps were less available. Additionally, and this last comment is speculative on my part, people who would normally purchase more expensive fountain pens with solid gold or sterling silver caps still had considerable income. Ordinary people were less likely to make purchases during the uncertain times of the Great Depression and WWII. So if Parker's production numbers were limited, it would naturally try to maximize profit by producing more expensive models.

I believe the David & Mark Shepherd Parker 51 book shows 51 production numbers for the 1930s & 40s.

Stay healthy.

Barry

Heritage vs Heirloom pens.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I believe that the prototypes were released in 1939, so the numbers produced in the '30s is pretty small.

"I believe the David & Mark Shepherd Parker 51 book shows 51 production numbers for the 1930s & 40s."
Edited by Glenn-SC

Demand evaporated as well as peoples ability to purchase expensive Fountain Pens during the Depression.

Paker tried a variety of things to adress the Depression.

They tried an innovative new product, a Fountain Pen which could be converted to a desk pen at no additional cost.

They cut production.

They set up a separate production line and sub-brands to compete against second and third tier pen makers, paying those workers less.

When the economy improved they increased their offerings, creating different Parker product lines at different price points, most notably the 51.

During WW2, production quotas were established as materials were rationed. Parker, despite being a major pen manufacturer, was not able to maintain production, in part because it refocused much of its effort on war production.

Before WW2, Germany forbid the use of gold for fountain pen nibs, but allowed it for export sales. When WW2 occured the ban on the use of gold was extended to include its use in production for exports as well. Germany was in dire financial conditions during the entire period from the great Depression on and limited materials for many things at certain times for well before the war. The German government sought to generate as much foreign currency as possible throgh exports which is why they allowed the use of gold for pens made for export prior to war.

Things got much worse and desperate during the war fromGermany and its balance of payments which resulted in the drastic decrease in the value of its currency such that it was not accepted for international trade that gold was needed to carry on what limited international trade Germany engaged in. Almost all the gold that was able to be obtained by the German government, including removing it from manufacturing was used for the purchase of critical imports from and through neutral nations for purchases made in gold, or in convertable currency purchased with gold.

The US having a positive balance of trade throughout the entire period did not need to use gold to btain needed imports. They also maintained much of their civilian production, including that for export with automobile production being the one area with a total ban, except for production for the military after 1942. Pen production decreased, bbut never stopped. Brass however was in short supply as it was needed for cartridge cases. Neither gold, nor silver were in short supply as they had little military use. Some silver was used actually as an alternative to copper to make wire for use in building some machines for military purposes, with the machines being disassembled and the silver wire going back into the national stockpile after copper came available. Reportedly silver worked quite well instead of copper.

Edited by Parker51

Thank you, Glenn-SC,

I'm an idiot! I appreciate your waking me up.

Always enjoy your posts here, especially your 51 contributions.

Best wishes,

Barry

• 1 month later...