Pens You Want To Get Next

Malice

Hi everybody,

for a lighter topic in these heavy times,

I was wondering what pen you were eyeing on getting next ?
Can be realistically speaking or grail pen-wise.

Since I just need the orange one to complete my set, I'm always a bit hunting for a pre 1928 (single band) Parker duofold junior.
A mont Blanc 146 or 149 (because it seems to be almost the stereotypical "Pen")
An golden web or shadowwave vacumatic

And grail pen wise:
A nakaya dorsal fin

Waterman number 5 or 7

So what are yours ?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• A Smug Dill

• amberleadavis

• HauntedMyst

I was eyeing the Aurora 8"88" Giove, but then I already bought that earlier this week. A Pelikan M205 Moonstone is on the cards, but it has already been intercepted twice by other good deals that came up, and so I mustn't really be that keen on it.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

To begin with the reverse: I was looking at the Platinum Plaisir special editions for this year, and they nudged forward the decision to cap off my collection of SE Plaisirs at three. I willingly bought the Bali Citrus, but whoof.

I still have my eye on the amber Waterman Carene (the amber Jinhao 51a staved off those cravings for a while) and the olivine Pelikan M205 as a potential first experience with that brand, because it's 'proper green'.

Realistically, or more practically, I've a Wing Sung 601 on the way. (A proper green one) After hearing a bit more about it in the meantime, I might get one or two more.

There's a nice sort of amber/fire/tiger Moonman M600s that snuck in while I wasn't looking, too.

31182132197_f921f7062d.jpg

The olivine M205 is a pen that I bought spontaneously when seeing it. And that despite the fact, that I'm no fan of demonstrators.

What I might want to get next could be the MB Egyptomania. Maybe next year?

Or one of the MB based stubs offered by Fritz Schimpf (Italic 100 or The Expressive), but oh are they expensive ...

Edited by sebastel23

I've been eying the GVFC Classic Macassar since it came out. I use a Pernambuco wood Classic as part of my EDC and it's a wonderful pen. It's a lot of money to replace a perfectly functional pen with the exact same pen in a different colour basically. So I haven't felt justified in buying one. Yet.

Other than that, I'm waiting for Edison to introduce a Collier in an olive green or green/yellow finish. I'm sure they'll eventually serve up that pen/colour combo, and I'll jump on it.

For now, my Pernambuco Classic and Blue Steel Collier will do the trick.

The olivine M205 is a pen that I bought spontaneously when seeing it. And that despite the fact, that I'm no fan of demonstrators.

Nice one

As a next pen I aim at Sailor Compass/ profit Jr. never owned a sailor for myself despite liking them whenever I used them and these seem nice starting point.

My grail pen is really long way for me (but that's why it is grail I guess)- Nakaya Sumiko Spider and the Web. I love spiders (yeah I know most don't).

Have my eye on a Wahl Eversharp Skyline of some sort. I've been trying to pick up iconic vintage fountain pens and I have stuff like a parker 51, and sheaffer snorkel and balance. I am also considering a parker vacumatic but they honestly don't do much for me, they just seem like pretty but not particularly enticing pens. Local antique store was selling one in bad condition, debutante model, for about 120 USD :headsmack: .

The Skyline I'm on the fence about, in a way I think it is a really ugly pen, but it is charming for some reason.

Trying to get over the mental barrier of spending more than around 150 on a pen. I scuffed a Sailor Pro Gear after dropping it about 20 feet last week and was devastated. Pens that I am not afraid to carry with me and I'm not afraid of damaging will have to be targets for me instead of pens I will have to baby.

Edited by linkoiram

Have my eye on a Wahl Eversharp Skyline of some sort. I've been trying to pick up iconic vintage fountain pens and I have stuff like a parker 51, and sheaffer snorkel and balance. I am also considering a parker vacumatic but they honestly don't do much for me, they just seem like pretty but not particularly enticing pens. Local antique store was selling one in bad condition, debutante model, for about 120 USD :headsmack: .

The Skyline I'm on the fence about, in a way I think it is a really ugly pen, but it is charming for some reason.

Trying to get over the mental barrier of spending more than around 150 on a pen. I scuffed a Sailor Pro Gear after dropping it about 20 feet last week and was devastated. Pens that I am not afraid to carry with me and I'm not afraid of damaging will have to be targets for me instead of pens I will have to baby.

20 feet? That's quite a drop. And it's only scuffed? That's actually pretty amazing.

20 feet? That's quite a drop. And it's only scuffed? That's actually pretty amazing.

I was shocked too, I was standing on a metal grating at work and dropped it from the mezzanine to the cement floor. My life flashed before my eyes in that moment.

Only ballpoints for me writing at a height from now on

Edited by linkoiram

I rather fancy a Waterman Carène, or a (modern) Parker Duofold. I am also a bit tempted by a Pelikan Pura or a LAMY Aion.
If price were of no concern, I’d want to buy a 2011 LE LAMY Safari in Aquamarine, a 2012 LE Pelikan M605 in all-black with a bi-coloured nib, a Pelikan M620 ‘Chicago’, and a 2013 LE Pelikan M800 in ‘Tortoiseshell Brown’.

But, since I bought myself a Pelikan M805 at the start of March as we were going in to lockdown (a pen that, for me, is blood-chillingly expensive), whenever I look at other pens I think “what does this pen do for me that isn’t already done by others that I already own?”.

E.g. the Carène, Duofold, Pura, and Aion are all cartridge-fill pens whose fill-level cannot be determined without unscrewing the barrel. I already have several of those.

The Duofold is a ‘luxury’ pen with an 18-carat-gold nib - but then, so is my Souverän. And the Pelikan’s cap posts relatively-deeply, whereas the Duofold looks like it might get ‘unwieldy’ with its cap ‘posted’.

The Carène has a beautiful streamlined shape and a slip-cap, but then the same is also true of my two aerometric Parker “51”s. And a new Carène would be much more expensive than e.g. another aerometric “51”.

I’m also somewhat tempted by Parker’s upcoming new 51 (a ‘re-imagining’ of the “51”, except with a c/c filler and a screw-cap).
But again, it’s a c/c filler whose fill level can only be determined by unscrewing its barrel. And it’s more-expensive than an aerometric “51” in really good condition.

On reflection, I am currently more interested in buying some more nibs for my LAMY Safaris & Vista, in widths that I haven’t already tried. Much cheaper than buying whole new pens! :D

That said, if I were to suddenly come in to some money I may well ‘spring for’ the Carène, Pura, and Duofold, and perhaps also an Aion. If it were a load of money, I’d be after those LEs.

Foul in clear conditions, but handsome in the fog.

mini-postcard-exc.png

For me it's always more about the nib experience that the pen itself (though resistance to drying out comes next). There are a few pens on my wish list a Faber Castell Loom and a Sailor with a zoom nib. A few days ago I saw some writing from a Hong Dian bent nib that looks interesting too. All of them are still subject to be re-assured about resistance to drying out.

I guess if I were in grail territory it would be safe to look more closely at the Sailor special nibs. And a humidifier to house all my pens and not have to worry about drying out at all.

Will work for pens... :unsure:

A Montblanc 227 and a Pelikan P1.

Eventually, a Pelikan Toledo 910 special edition as I have the Pelikan Gunther Wagner's Travel Escritoire that goes with it.

I rather fancy a Waterman Carène, or a (modern) Parker Duofold. I am also a bit tempted by a Pelikan Pura or a LAMY Aion.

If price were of no concern, Id want to buy a 2011 LE LAMY Safari in Aquamarine, a 2012 LE Pelikan M605 in all-black with a bi-coloured nib, a Pelikan M620 Chicago, and a 2013 LE Pelikan M800 in Tortoiseshell Brown.

But, since I bought myself a Pelikan M805 at the start of March as we were going in to lockdown (a pen that, for me, is blood-chillingly expensive), whenever I look at other pens I think what does this pen do for me that isnt already done by others that I already own?.

E.g. the Carène, Duofold, Pura, and Aion are all cartridge-fill pens whose fill-level cannot be determined without unscrewing the barrel. I already have several of those.

The Duofold is a luxury pen with an 18-carat-gold nib - but then, so is my Souverän. And the Pelikans cap posts relatively-deeply, whereas the Duofold looks like it might get unwieldy with its cap posted.

The Carène has a beautiful streamlined shape and a slip-cap, but then the same is also true of my two aerometric Parker 51s. And a new Carène would be much more expensive than e.g. another aerometric 51.

Im also somewhat tempted by Parkers upcoming new 51 (a re-imagining of the 51, except with a c/c filler and a screw-cap).

But again, its a c/c filler whose fill level can only be determined by unscrewing its barrel. And its more-expensive than an aerometric 51 in really good condition.

On reflection, I am currently more interested in buying some more nibs for my LAMY Safaris & Vista, in widths that I havent already tried. Much cheaper than buying whole new pens! :D

That said, if I were to suddenly come in to some money I may well spring for the Carène, Pura, and Duofold, and perhaps also an Aion. If it were a load of money, Id be after those LEs.

Hi Mercian,

The Duofold is not a good poster, but it is a very nice writer, (I have two); the Aion isn't that great unless you're into heavy, somewhat cumbersome pens (and the nib looks ridiculously undersized). If it were me, go for the Carene - especially if you already have a 51 Aerometric in your collection.

Hold out - and when you're financially able to do it - spread your wings and fly - or more aptly put - set sail with a Carene. :)

- Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

I'm sincerely eyeballing a MB boheme right now

I've also been eyeing a desiderata pen, but I should probably instead put that money towards a few nib regrinds I've had on the backburner for a while.

I did just drop a bit on a conklin coronet in olive with a new omniflex nib. Was only like $12 more for the pen over just the nib, and I got a free $10 bottle of monteverde ink, so the pen cost me like 2 bucks.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

If price were of no concern, I’d want to buy a 2011 LE LAMY Safari in Aquamarine, a 2012 LE Pelikan M605 in all-black with a bi-coloured nib, a Pelikan M620 ‘Chicago’, and a 2013 LE Pelikan M800 in ‘Tortoiseshell Brown’.

But, since I bought myself a Pelikan M805 at the start of March as we were going in to lockdown (a pen that, for me, is blood-chillingly expensive), whenever I look at other pens I think “what does this pen do for me that isn’t already done by others that I already own?”.

The Duofold is a ‘luxury’ pen with an 18-carat-gold nib - but then, so is my Souverän. And the Pelikan’s cap posts relatively-deeply, whereas the Duofold looks like it might get ‘unwieldy’ with its cap ‘posted’.

The Carène has a beautiful streamlined shape and a slip-cap, but then the same is also true of my two aerometric Parker “51”s. And a new Carène would be much more expensive than e.g. another aerometric “51”.

I’m also somewhat tempted by Parker’s upcoming new 51 (a ‘re-imagining’ of the “51”, except with a c/c filler and a screw-cap).

But again, it’s a c/c filler whose fill level can only be determined by unscrewing its barrel. And it’s more-expensive than an aerometric “51” in really good condition.

On reflection, I am currently more interested in buying some more nibs for my LAMY Safaris & Vista, in widths that I haven’t already tried. Much cheaper than buying whole new pens! :D

That said, if I were to suddenly come in to some money I may well ‘spring for’ the Carène, Pura, and Duofold, and perhaps also an Aion. If it were a load of money, I’d be after those LEs.

The duofold feels amazing in the hand, but it doesn't post for (bleep). Nib is huge and dramatic, but I found both my F and "needlepoint" (which wasn't a needlepoint at all, it was like a derpy architect that I'm getting reground) to be lacking in actual nib on paper character. The m800 is what I'd consider a much better version, if a little less dramatic (the duofold nib, cap jewel, and deeply engraved barrel are very, very cool)

The carene feels amazing in the hand, and its nibs are well known for being absolutely glassy. I have F and M, and have tried several mediums, and all of the M's were a bit stubby too and glassy smooth. Tons of personality. And it feels very different to a 51. The carene has a nice, very positive click when it's closed, posts very deeply, is thicker and made of brass so it feels more substantial.

Also, the inlaid nib gives a much more different "feel".

If you can find a carene for $100-160, jump on it. I'd call it overpriced at anything that isn't a deep sale

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

My "next" pens, which are a pair of cheap Moonman (Moonmen?) demonstrators for holiday shimmer inks, have been received.

Grail, maybe next year. Setting up 2022 Year of the Tiger for the next grail.

Personally, I have a lot (too many) ideas for custom pens which could be made by numerous different makers. Otherwise, just interested in a Conid Minimalistica :)

Edited by WLSpec

Hmmm. This is a tough one to answer. :huh:

I'd dearly love a British Bloody Burgundy Parker 51. I'd kinda like one of the Sailor Wicked Witch pens (the smaller size one, most likely). If they come out in other colors of Noodler's ebonite Konrads, or a Triple Tail that isn't a demonstrator, sign me up. I really wish I could get one of the French Blue/red clip Lamy Safaris, but I'm not willing to pay the prices I'm seeing (I mean, come ON, it's a freaking Safari -- it shouldn't cost what I paid for a Parker 51 with an OB nib at a pen show auction.... Oh, and I'd love to be able to afford a replacement (yeah, another one) Pelikan M200 Café Crème. I've also gotten a hankering for one of the Harlequin finish Parker 45s.

Of course I'd love to get a Y-o-L Viceroy Victorian Standard -- but that's the "When I win the lottery" grail pen. And one of the Pelikan M600 Pink and White pens (but those are also in the "nosebleed seats" price range...).

Mind you, none of these are happening remotely soon.... :( But a girl can dream, right? :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."