Script Vs Cursive

Mysterious Mose

I think it can be summarized shortly:

There have been many variants over time, adapting the script as each time, author, master and cultural influence subjectively considered best for their needs.

The bottom line, for me is that if you like better you own letter shapes, and as long as they are sufficiently uniform and apt to be easily readable, you have as much right to prefer them as you have to any other (political, religious, personal, whatever) choice in your life. No reason to feel lowly because someone else prefers otherwise.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mysterious Mose

• sansenri

• txomsy

• arcfide

I can’t tell the difference between script and cursive really, and Iearnt the Spencerian script a while ago and I personally think that I mastered most of it, but I want to learn the original style of cursive, howeverI just don’t know where to find it. Any clue? 

Edited by IanP2303

EF nibs!!!

14 hours ago, IanP2303 said:

the original style of cursive

Hi, @IanP2303 - there really isn't a single style of cursive, so there isn't an original style. Cursive styles vary greatly based on language, country, and era. Do you have an example of the style of cursive you would like to learn?

7 minutes ago, brokenclay said:

Hi, @IanP2303 - there really isn't a single style of cursive, so there isn't an original style. Cursive styles vary greatly based on language, country, and era. Do you have an example of the style of cursive you would like to learn?

Oh, that cleared things up! I have been learning Spencerian script, but I also want to focus on British cursive, any fonts that look similar or even better than Spencerian in your opinion? 

EF nibs!!!

3 minutes ago, IanP2303 said:

Oh, that cleared things up! I have been learning Spencerian script, but I also want to focus on British cursive, any fonts that look similar or even better than Spencerian in your opinion? 

Perhaps you are thinking of English Round Hand, which is the family of scripts that were prevalent in England when Spencer was developing his alternative in the United States: https://pennavolans.com/the-family-of-english-round-hands/

1 minute ago, brokenclay said:

Perhaps you are thinking of English Round Hand, which is the family of scripts that were prevalent in England when Spencer was developing his alternative in the United States: https://pennavolans.com/the-family-of-english-round-hands/

I see, I was about to ask you what is the difference between Roundhand and Spencerian. Thanks a lot!

EF nibs!!!

3 hours ago, IanP2303 said:

I see, I was about to ask you what is the difference between Roundhand and Spencerian. Thanks a lot!

Cursive is an attribute of a style of writing, not a specific script in itself. A specific script is a particular way of writing letters. Cursive writing has existed back in Roman times as well as in Chinese scripts. All cursive means is "running hand," in which the writing was intended to be written in such a way as improves the ability to easily form the script with the hand in a relatively rapid manner by connecting and stringing letters together, that is, writing so that they "run together." There are other cursive scripts, such as the handwriting taught in Germany at the time that Roundhand was taught in England and Spencerian in the U.S. If you read Arrighi's book of Chancery Script, you'll see his instructs for the cursive Chancery Script as well, which predates the above. 

4 hours ago, arcfide said:

Cursive is an attribute of a style of writing, not a specific script in itself. A specific script is a particular way of writing letters. Cursive writing has existed back in Roman times as well as in Chinese scripts. All cursive means is "running hand," in which the writing was intended to be written in such a way as improves the ability to easily form the script with the hand in a relatively rapid manner by connecting and stringing letters together, that is, writing so that they "run together." There are other cursive scripts, such as the handwriting taught in Germany at the time that Roundhand was taught in England and Spencerian in the U.S. If you read Arrighi's book of Chancery Script, you'll see his instructs for the cursive Chancery Script as well, which predates the above. 

Very informative! Thanks a lot, but the round hand looks better, so I might choose to learn English roundhand instead.

EF nibs!!!

18 hours ago, IanP2303 said:

I might choose to learn English roundhand instead.

It's an eminently respectable script, and I doubt anyone could fault you for taking it up (well, maybe some nouveau Italic zealot). There is much room to stretch, grow, and enjoy yourself with that script. 

4 hours ago, arcfide said:

It's an eminently respectable script, and I doubt anyone could fault you for taking it up (well, maybe some nouveau Italic zealot). There is much room to stretch, grow, and enjoy yourself with that script. 

I agree with you, @arcfide

EF nibs!!!

Good day.

Just adding my two-cents worth. This topic makes for very interesting reading. It is brings back nice memories from primary school. In Quebec for example, the method used for writing stringed or connected letters is called "lettres attachées" or attached letters...interesting since this concept was well described above. Provenance does play a role when naming techniques. As a side note, take a look at the handle I use on the FPN...:)

Marc 

On 12/29/2020 at 7:19 PM, arcfide said:

If you look carefully at many modern fonts

Reading this thread for the first time.

For clarity.  There are no fonts in handwriting.  A font is a subset of what once was a mechanical typeface.  Helvetica, for instance, is a typeface.  Helvetica Regular, Helvetica Oblique, Helvitica Light and so on are Helvetica fonts.  Typefaces and fonts were initially a print phenomena, but are now also used on digital devices.

It is not my intention to be critical.  I may be incorrect, but my belief is that misusing words leads to misunderstanding and fuzzy thinking.  One may call a banana a potato, but this does not make it so.

Thank you for your patience.  Carry on!

Add lightness and simplicate.

10 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

For clarity.  There are no fonts in handwriting.  A font is a subset of what once was a mechanical typeface.  Helvetica, for instance, is a typeface.  Helvetica Regular, Helvetica Oblique, Helvitica Light and so on are Helvetica fonts.  Typefaces and fonts were initially a print phenomena, but are now also used on digital devices.

You are correct, and that is precisely the meaning in which I was using the term in my post that you quote. I wanted to use "font" so that I could differentiate from handwriting, as I wanted to point out how computer fonts carry on those traditions of various handwriting cultures. 

3 hours ago, arcfide said:

I wanted to point out how computer fonts carry on those traditions of various handwriting cultures. 

The dangers of quickly scanning posts.  In my defence I will say that I often see scripts referred to as fonts here on FPN.

Add lightness and simplicate.

23 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

The dangers of quickly scanning posts.  In my defence I will say that I often see scripts referred to as fonts here on FPN.

Indeed, and in some cases, they're both, as there are some famous lettering artists who have had their lettering art rendered into fonts that are then used to teach their script to new users.