Ratnam Pens Does Not Make Gold Nibs?

HartGummi

I am interested in Ratnam Pens because of all the Indian fountain pen creators they seem to be the only ones who make things "from scratch", including the nibs.

I dropped a message on Ratnam's WhatsApp number asking whether they make gold nib pens today. Surprisingly I got back a "No" for an answer.

IIRC the person who made those pens (Mr. Ratnam) is quite old. Does he no longer work? :o

Edited by HartGummi

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HartGummi

• Dimy

• Manofadventure

• Seele

Now take my point with grain of salt as I lack internal information on ratnam pens, thus I can't be sure what Mr. Ratnam's conditions is and if he still makes pens.

I do have some idea on why most Indian makers don't make their own gold nib (again speculation here), here is my take on this point.

Most people don't demand gold nibs as first or second pens and gold nibs easily blow above 100 dollar mark, nib alone will cost that much and at this point pens will most likely fly 200 dollar, 10k around here.

Another point is complexity involved in making gold nibs, softer metal, more skill, etc. List goes on. Also error needs to be accounted for which most small business would find hard to keep up if nibs are gold considering most indian manufacturers offer very nice value for money, this will be lost, at least it will be hard to cut losses.

3rd already good gold nibs are available from Kanwrite and if I am not mistaken then by ambitious nibs in India, both are tried, tested and have good QC with them making them first choice for most who look at gold nibs as option. Deccan uses gold nibs from Kanwrite in recent times for instance. I think someone else offered same option to me for gold nibs by Kanwrite (can't recall the brand).

Any idea how much a Kanwrite gold nib costs, and if it is worth the value?

As for Ratnam/Ratnamson,I believe they have always offered higher end pens with their own gold nibs. I saw Ratnam's catalogue on a blog post. It prominently displayed gold and silver bodied pens!

Edited by HartGummi

Any idea how much a Kanwrite gold nib costs, and if it is worth the value?

As for Ratnam/Ratnamson,I believe they have always offered higher end pens with their own gold nibs. I saw Ratnam's catalogue on a blog post. It prominently displayed gold and silver bodied pens!

Kanwrite costs Rs 6000 around (I forgot if its tax included or excluded), I don't own any gold nibs and my experience is limited to 1 pen from relative so can't tell much. Although kanwrite steel nibs are something I use extensively and sevral pen makers eg Deccan use Kanwrite gold nibs plus the general consensus among people here is that they are very good nibs. All Kanwrite are wet nibs and this from what I know is no exception, personally I like Kanwrite nibs a lot and I would not mind buying a gold nib from them.

As for gold pens from Ratnam, they did make one celebration models of them 22kt gold pen and silver pen with 14kt gold, I know they no longer make gold nibs (you yourself confirmed this plus someone recently posted about this somewhere), as said above it could be that they are not cost effective, or efforts not worth time, or demand is outright low, who knows you might ask them though if they can make one (most likely not happening) or if they will make the pen if you give them nib.

I think it's Ratnamson who makes gold nibs, Ratnam and Ratnamson don't really see eye to eye, much like Adidas and Puma.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

• 1 month later...