Omas Arte Italiana Milord Exploded View

Ron Z

Adding to the database of exploded views of pens....

omasEV.jpg

Left to right: Nib and feed above fit into the nib bushing. I would put them in place after the pen is assembled.

Second row: section, 0-ring, nib bushing, inner barrel, piston seal, spindle, anti-rotation ring, mechanism housing, drive, grip knob, barrel below.

The inner barrel screws into the section with the 0-ring in front to keep ink from getting into the barrel when the pen is filled. The 0-ring fits around the nib bushing. The section has facets on the end that lock into the barrel to keep it from rotating. The spindle is identical to the current production Pelikan spindle (they are interchangeable), and the seal seems to be the same size as is used on the Pelikan 300. Don't hold me to that since I haven't been able to verify. Anti-rotation ring, like Pelikan's, locks into the tube of the mechanism. Drive is similar, and and is keyed to lock into the blind cap. The blind cap is screwed on first, then the spindle screwed into the drive, and last the ring snapped in place. With the internal parts in the section, the section is put in the barrel, and then the mechanism screwed into the inner barrel, which holds everything in place.

The collar is different than the usual Omas nib bushing in that it is notched so that the nib will not rotate in the bushing. Improper insertion of nib and feed (i.e. trying to force them in place) will cause the bushing to crack.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ron Z

• sansenri

• Seney724

• como

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for the post, Ron. This is very helpful reference. I do find these newer Milord/Paragon piston design unnecessarily complicated and prone to cracking/leaking. The old style piston system was so much simpler and worked well for the most part. Sticky piston can easily be solved by disassembly and applying silicon grease (of course if due to celluloid shrinkage, it would be a different story).

• 2 months later...

Timely post.  I am trying to work on my very first Omas Paragon.  It was gummed up with ink inside, and I have it cleaned, but the grib knob comes all the way off.  I can see ink on the spindle, and the piston does move in the barrel after flushing and getting a little silicone on the piston.
Where do I go from here?

It would be helpful to know exactly which "Omas Paragon" you are working on.........

The exploded view in this thread demonstrates the inner workings of the so called Milord.

As @como indicates, just above, these Milords are quite different from the more simple (and, IMO, much better) old style Paragon.

There are some other threads here (FPN) that provide great guidance on the old style filling system.  There is also a YouTube video which you might find helpful.

Can you post some photos?

I think it's clear this is the new version of the Milord (Milord and Paragon are different sizes), and you can spot it's the newer version by the metal faceted rings which are absent in the older versions.

5 minutes ago, sansenri said:

I think it's clear this is the new version of the Milord (Milord and Paragon are different sizes), and you can spot it's the newer version by the metal faceted rings which are absent in the older versions.

@sansenriApologies if I did not make myself clear enough.  I was not referring to the photo at the top of this thread, I was referring to the "Omas Paragon" for which @gweimer1 has asked for help.  Unless I am missing something, it is impossible to tell from his description of it.

• 3 months later...
On 4/29/2021 at 11:31 PM, raivtash said:

Thank you for posting @Ron Z. Do you have spare inner barrels?

I have the same question, barrels IMO are most fragile parts in these pens), and hard to find. 

Regards, Alexey

• 2 months later...

If I had one, the pen would have been repaired in in use.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.