Where To Find O-Rings For A Reasonable Price

HartGummi

I want to convert my Platinum Preppy to an eyedropper pen. Its threads are too coarse to be sealed by silicone grease alone so an O-ring must be added to make an airtight seal.

The problem is I have been unable to find O-rings for a reasonable price. I tried to find them over the internet but either 1) they cost far too much 2) are out of stock 3) are not of the appropriate size.

None of my local hardware stores seem to have them, also tried the plumbing store and the motorcycle repair shop.

Did anybody have better luck finding O-rings ?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HartGummi

• Dimy

• mssethi

• A Smug Dill

Did you try silicone only avoid oring? I have converted pens to eyedropper without oring and they work. In fact, several indian eyedropper pens do not use orings just a lubricate. Good Luck. :thumbup:

I do not want to convert a Preppy without an O-ring because its threads are very coarse. Dedicated eyedropper pens (like many Indian ebonites) have finely cut screw threads so that they keep a seal without any grease.

My ebonite pen has been sent for tuning/nib replacement back to the manufacturer which is why I want to change my Preppy into an eyedropper. :)

Edited by HartGummi

As someone who uses ED pens a lot, I honestly gave up looking for O-rings, I just use silicon grease and in case of preppy I use more silicon grease, works fine for me and never had leak from that section of pen but then I don't travel with that guy so it never really has been exposed to jerks and shocks as of such.

One weird idea you may like to try (take with grain of salt) is using of smallest size rubber bands, they are easily available locally and act as O-rings in a way....they are rubber so they come with their own set of issues (can't use all types of inks, regular change and will degrade faster)....you can also look at near hardware store, one near mine brings them if I request him (he also gets me my micro-mesh).

As someone who uses ED pens a lot, I honestly gave up looking for O-rings, I just use silicon grease and in case of preppy I use more silicon grease, works fine for me and never had leak from that section of pen but then I don't travel with that guy so it never really has been exposed to jerks and shocks as of such.

https://www.amazon.in/Apogee-oring-9mm-thickness-2mm/dp/B07KCJG4S5/

Do you think this would fit?

2 mm is too thick indeed I say 1mm is better or less if they are available at all. Thickness of item says 13mm in data sheet and 9mm on main text, I will assume 9mm as diameter for now, I lack vernier caliper to measure but normal scale shows somewhat 9mm at end, this means the threads themselves are less then that, I suggest around 7 mm for this set up (smaller is always better as that can be adjusted while larger are complete duds here).

Any brico shop (e.g. Leroy Merlin) should carry O-rings in various sizes. If the shop has knowledgeable sellers, they should be able to help you to the right size.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're still looking, www.penrealm.com sells preppy o-rings in packs of 3 for $1. I have bought o-ring, silicone, and preppy from them - and I had no issue eye-dropping a Preppy with Baystate Blue. :)

You can also get o-rings from Goulet pens.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, mssethi said:

I am in India,  I cud get 8,9,10 mm dia with 1mm thickness/section.

I could not. The local hardware stores keep rings and gaskets for pipes used in motorcycles and cars.

Ok let me help you a bit, first you don't really need the o-ring, I certainly don't after using fair bit of silicon grease, if you are not traveling everywhere with the preppy at which point reusing cartridge is better option anyway.

Second most hardware stores don't keep them and its mostly order from them and hope they bring it, the one near me will get them if I tell him exact specification I need with tolerance, 8mm one might work though so you can try buying it. Most keep for bikes and cars or for plumbing ones and dedicated rings for fp is well not really a thing, not here at least. hope this helps

On 10/16/2020 at 2:28 AM, HartGummi said:

I want to convert my Platinum Preppy to an eyedropper pen. Its threads are too coarse to be sealed by silicone grease alone so an O-ring must be added to make an airtight seal.

I disagree, after having ‘converted’ seven Platinum Preppy pens, filling their entire barrels as ink reservoirs. (Three hold different colours of Sailor STORiA pigment inks, three with Rubinato dye-based writing inks, and the last one with Noodler's Air Corp Blue Black ink.) None of them have leaked in well over a year since they were filled.

On 10/16/2020 at 2:28 AM, HartGummi said:

The problem is I have been unable to find O-rings for a reasonable price.

…‹snip›… 

Did anybody have better luck finding O-rings ?

Try looking on the inside of the screw-cap of a 1.8ml sample vial. The price of one 500-piece lot of those sample vials on AliExpress is less than US$20 (but additional shipping charges from China will likely apply these days). I've tried it, and those thin O-rings fit better than all of the thicker O-rings I can get in a kit box from the hardware store; but I just see the need to use one on a Platinum Preppy.

large.1180502610_TwotypesofinksamplevialsIuse.jpg.c87821f4bc17bd36a57f1163feb346f6.jpg

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.