Nib Exchange Turn Around Time?

timtom33

Hi,

Dropped two pens off in London for a nib exchange.

Anyone know the timeframe i can expect to get the pens back?

Have been told anywhere from 2-6 weeks and hoping it's not the latter!

Boutiques seem very quiet these days due to Covid.

Many thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• timtom33

• GOTO10

• sebastel23

• Cyrille81

I'm mid nib exchange on two pens right now via the US service center.

I had to have a damaged nib replaced on my 1912 due to a drop and figured I'd change it from a M to an OM. I was told 6-8 weeks for the turn around.

It took about five weeks for them to physically do the nib swap on my Egyptomania, I had originally been told 3-4 months. It will probably end up being 7-8 weeks in reality as the pen did not write when it arrived back at the boutique.

I just got my Geometry back from nib exchange yesterday, here in the States. They changed the nib from this medium:

http://www.arcmailbox.com/img/pens/geonib-m.jpg

To this broad:

http://www.arcmailbox.com/img/pens/geonib-b.jpg

It took 5 weeks and 1 day.

I hope this info helps you.

Edited by lemonde

Thank you! I am waiting on a pen tomorrow (Heritage serpent) and am planning to send it on for an oblique of some kind (or maybe a bb). Helps to know what kind of turn around before sending something off before you even get a chance to play with it. I'll be tempted to ink it up, but my understanding is they won't replace the nib if its been dipped. The wait will be excruciating, no doubt, but then I'll have an oblique instead of just another medium...!

Thank you! I am waiting on a pen tomorrow (Heritage serpent) and am planning to send it on for an oblique of some kind (or maybe a bb). Helps to know what kind of turn around before sending something off before you even get a chance to play with it. I'll be tempted to ink it up, but my understanding is they won't replace the nib if its been dipped. The wait will be excruciating, no doubt, but then I'll have an oblique instead of just another medium...!

Of the four Montblanc fountain pens I own, three were sent in for nib exchange, each after a few weeks of use. In each instance, the Montblanc Boutique staff had encouraged me to try out the pen at home before deciding whether or not to participate in the nib exchange.

The only restriction I'm aware of is the "90 day from date of purchase" rule.

I hope this helps!

Edited by lemonde

Update on nib swap time for my M to OBB Egyptomania, FedEx should be delivering my pen today (16-OCT-2020) so that puts the nib swap + fixing QC issues at 42 days.

I dropped my Geometry off at the Bond St boutique (UK) 3 weeks and 1 day ago - switching to a BB. Still not heard anything yet. They said they didnt know how long it would take. Hopefully not too long, cant wait to get it back!

Sent a 146VP Solitaire to the Service Center in Fort Worth, Texas at the beginning of this month. They are estimating 13 weeks for a new nib...

I have had this same service center perform a couple of nib exchanges over the last few months - most have typically taken anywhere from 6-8 weeks.

In either case even 6-8 weeks is absurd.

Thanks for everyone's replies.

My two pens have now been away for 4 weeks as of today and no sign of them yet.

Anyone else got theirs back yet and care to update the total time it took?

I have no experience to report, but a (psychological) question.

Does reading FPN shorten the turnaround time for nib exchange?

:)

(my 149 is on its way since 1 week)

I have got notification one of my two pens is now back (UK London).

So that is a total of 4 weeks and 3 days waiting time.

Second pen is still in Hamburg...

Edited by timtom33

• 1 month later...

i received my 149 from nib exchange after 12 days, including weekends.

only, it's back on its way to hamburg, because the new nib skips badly. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got my 1912 back from nib exchange on Friday and sadly I received it back as a M not an OM. I'm just about done with the US service center and their poor quality standards.

Sadly my last two experiences have turned me off direct dealing with MB for the foreseeable future. I don't really see the need to pay more for worse service.

• 3 months later...

In my case, I left a Montblanc LeGrand petit prince happy holiday color blue at the boutique on January 6 of this year to change the medium nib for a fine one using the free nib exchange program.

First, the boutique staff told me that it had to be sent to the service center in my country but seeing that it took some time I decided last week to ask the status of my pen and they told me that as it was a special edition they did not have a nib available and that they had to request one from hamburg and also the german workshop is temporarily closed due to the issue of the pandemic and consequently there is no estimated date for the delivery of my pen.😞

Montblanc just quoted me 13 weeks to swap out a Medium for a Broad. We will see how long it takes, but that was their estimate as of today. 

• 1 year later...

Hello,

On October 18, 2022 I purchased a Montblanc Writers Edition Fountain Pen - Brothers Grimm - 2022 - Limited Edition - Fine. I found the fine nib is a bit too broad and discussed this with Montblanc Customer Service and was informed I was eligible for a free nib exchange and pointed me to a US Service Center. Reached out to the Service Center, shipped the pen which was received on October 24th, received notification the part was ordered on October 28th.

Tomorrow January 20th makes 3 full months and, as of today, the Service Center say they still have not received the nib. This was my 6th Montblanc pen (second fountain pen) and I'm not sure I will by another unless it can be ordered with the nib I want.

You should call Montblanc and complain. There are other threads here about poor service with the new U.S. Service Center system. But nothing will change unless people complain to Montblanc.

“ I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant”  Alan Greenspan