Show Your Namiki - Fans' Thread

Linger

On 4/16/2021 at 5:19 AM, Maki-eMagic said:

Here you can see a Yukari Royale Pavilion/Pagoda in the middle of this screengrab from a video, on the left is a chinkin which is about Yukari size (albeit the flat cap and barrel ends means it is just a little shorter in length than Yukari which is rounded) - the size difference between the Yukari and Yukari Royale is more in the diameter than the lenght, the Yukari Royale section is considerably longer, and the caps are also similar length. Nib size goes up slightly but not hugely. But you can see both are absolutely dwarfed by the 50 size on the right which has a far larger nib (but similar length section).

The Yukari Royale feels like a regular pen after using a 50 before it, although the weights are quite similar as the 50 is ebonite and much lighter than it looks. I'd say in general the Yukari Royale is an excellent sized pen and incredibly well-rounded as a writing instrument, the 50 is different and is pen perfection for some but unwieldy for others. I wrote with this Goldfish 50 for about 2 hours straight yesterday and absolutely love it.

size difference.png

Wonderful pens!

Incidentally, is the Yukari Royale Pavilion/Pagoda the one referred to as Scene de Nuit (the night scene) in French, which also shows the Pavilion/Pagoda?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Linger

• Maki-eMagic

• Nurmister

• MoriartyR

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 hours ago, newstudent said:

Wonderful pens!

Incidentally, is the Yukari Royale Pavilion/Pagoda the one referred to as Scene de Nuit (the night scene) in French, which also shows the Pavilion/Pagoda?

Yes, night scene is right, it was inspired by the success of the Emperor Pagoda which is my favourite Emperor. 

10 hours ago, Maki-eMagic said:

Yes, night scene is right, it was inspired by the success of the Emperor Pagoda which is my favourite Emperor. 

Thanks for clarifying. It would be nice to have images of the "Emperor Pagoda", should have you have any, if and when convenient of course

37 minutes ago, newstudent said:

Thanks for clarifying. It would be nice to have images of the "Emperor Pagoda", should have you have any, if and when convenient of course

From a familiar face (4:56):

The topside of a nib is its face, the underside its soul (user readytotalk)

Ah, Nurmister, I just noticed you live in Singapore. My wife and I spent many happy years there. Some very nice pen stores too.

1 hour ago, newstudent said:

I'll be doing a video review of it, maybe as early as next week :)

3 hours ago, Maki-eMagic said:

I'll be doing a video review of it, maybe as early as next week :)

Looking forward to watching that one!

On 5/7/2021 at 7:27 PM, MoriartyR said:

Ah, Nurmister, I just noticed you live in Singapore. My wife and I spent many happy years there. Some very nice pen stores too.

Yep, Singapore's a great place -- not particularly exciting, but I appreciate how things work here with a quiet efficiency.

Speaking about the pen shops here, I've been surprised by how thorough their selection of Japanese pens is, particularly Namikis. I didn't want to post about it here until I got it in hand, but I bought a Yukari Royale in black from CdC during a sale late last month. It's currently on backorder, so I'm excited for it to arrive.

I've been looking into accessories for it from the local shops, and have been impressed by their inventory: some rare Namiki items, like their Emperor wood box, Maki-e CON-70 converters, Namiki pen cases, are all available here. I'll post pictures of what I've got when the pen arrives. I'll also try to showcase the shops a little more when I visit them in person. Thanks again everyone for your insights on the Yukari Royale!

The topside of a nib is its face, the underside its soul (user readytotalk)

On 5/7/2021 at 6:10 PM, newstudent said:

Here it is, just uploaded it. Love this pen so much.

18 minutes ago, Maki-eMagic said:

Here it is, just uploaded it. Love this pen so much.

Many thanks for this helpful review.

Does the Yukari Royale Pagoda/Pavilion replicate the pattern and the make-i work with a difference in scale? (The clip on the YR does have some work on it.)

3 hours ago, newstudent said:

Does the Yukari Royale Pagoda/Pavilion replicate the pattern and the make-i work with a difference in scale? (The clip on the YR does have some work on it.)

It is a bit different, more focus on the pavilion and the banks of a river flowing beneath it, and a few pine trees on the hill slopes which are done in more detail. So familiar elements but the scene is more zoomed in so it doesn't have the layers of mountain. I'd also say its a little bit less impressionist if that makes sense, it is about the scene details rather than the larger scale feel, the pavilion itself is more detailed and there is more raised maki-e throughout in contrast to the Emperor.

I prefer the Emperor version and aesthetics, but the YR version is still one of the YR which I like best, alongside the kingfisher and a little to my surprise I like the golden rose as well.

2 hours ago, Maki-eMagic said:

It is a bit different, more focus on the pavilion and the banks of a river flowing beneath it, and a few pine trees on the hill slopes which are done in more detail. So familiar elements but the scene is more zoomed in so it doesn't have the layers of mountain. I'd also say its a little bit less impressionist if that makes sense, it is about the scene details rather than the larger scale feel, the pavilion itself is more detailed and there is more raised maki-e throughout in contrast to the Emperor.

I prefer the Emperor version and aesthetics, but the YR version is still one of the YR which I like best, alongside the kingfisher and a little to my surprise I like the golden rose as well.

Thanks. That's most helpful in understanding the similarities and differences between the two versions

• 2 months later...
On 2021/4/16 at PM11點01分, Maki-eMagic said:

是的,我沒有在這裡張貼很多筆,因為它們中的大多數都不是我的,但至少那張照片中的兩支筆是! 

I really love this channel.

On 5/13/2021 at 8:51 PM, Maki-eMagic said:

Yes, I'm wating for your vedio introduce and compare with these two pens. It's must be interesting.

On 8/4/2021 at 11:43 AM, Namiki50 said:

Yes, I'm wating for your vedio introduce and compare with these two pens. It's must be interesting.

I think the YR pavilion will probably be my next YR video, after another Yukari first (one more accessible than the Dunhill Namiki!), I've a big international move coming up soon so hoping to be able to plan around it and stick with weekly video releases.. I'll certainly get to this comparison video (plus one comparing 2 Emperor Goldfish and 2 Emperor Chinkin Hawks) but likely to be late in the year.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 11:01 AM, Maki-eMagic said:

Yes I am, I haven't posted many of the pens here since most of them aren't mine, but two of the pens in that photo at least were! 

I thought that was your channel on Youtube as well. Excellent production and descriptions. Your channel is making me stop buying MB 149's and starting to collecting Japanese pens. I plan on buying a Namiki Emperor and Yukari. I also plan on buying a Nakaya 17mm and a Piccolo. i already have the funds to purchase the pens however since the pandemic things seem more expensive or harder to get. If i put the money into my business I can get a 10x return and still buy the pens. I hate decisions. Which pen would be the first purchase and why?

Kindest Regards,

David

On 8/24/2021 at 5:14 AM, NeverTapOut said:

I thought that was your channel on Youtube as well. Excellent production and descriptions. Your channel is making me stop buying MB 149's and starting to collecting Japanese pens. I plan on buying a Namiki Emperor and Yukari. I also plan on buying a Nakaya 17mm and a Piccolo. i already have the funds to purchase the pens however since the pandemic things seem more expensive or harder to get. If i put the money into my business I can get a 10x return and still buy the pens. I hate decisions. Which pen would be the first purchase and why?

Kindest Regards,

David

My first purchase would be a Yukari Royale in black or vermillion because the chances of not liking the writing experience are the lowest - unless you know that really big pens are your thing in which case the Urushi #50 is only slightly more expensive than the YR in Japan/Asia (except online where big sites make the difference much larger). I'd put the money into my business, get that return, and buy a bamboo woods nakaya in 17mm (which I've got on order.. or possibly a dorsal fin 2 in a nice colour) and.. ooh.. one of the maki-e emperors. I've never regretted the goldfish, but I also love several of the other ones. 

I will look up the bamboo woods Nakaya. I admire the art work however I am a plain person. I stick with Black with Gold trim.

I think I will buy one pen and invest the rest in myself. In 3-6 months after I 10X buy another pen and reinvest and 10x again.

If I purchase all the pens now I have nothing to work for plus I always say say so I don't enable myself...You can only write with one pen. Thank you for your help. How much do I owe you for the coaching session? LOL :D

David

• 7 months later...