Show Your Namiki - Fans' Thread

Linger

Family extension!

I saw an opportunity on FP day in November that I could not resist - added top of the list and left in the picture is the pen-perfection in black:

Urushi Lacquer Black #20 with F nib

Urushi Lacquer Vermillion #20 with M nib

Yukari Grapevine with (#10) F nib

Chinkin Pine Tree with (#10) M nib

IMG_1730.thumb.jpeg.551fda4005eb88ff734a729454a0c90d.jpeg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Linger

• Maki-eMagic

• Nurmister

• MoriartyR

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Linger said:

Family extension!

I saw an opportunity on FP day in November that I could not resist - added top of the list and left in the picture is the pen-perfection in black:

Urushi Lacquer Black #20 with F nib

Urushi Lacquer Vermillion #20 with M nib

Yukari Grapevine with (#10) F nib

Chinkin Pine Tree with (#10) M nib

Hahaha. I must admit I was also looking seriously at a vermillion Yukari Royale “pen perfection” for Black Friday to go with my black. I held back in the end - too many pens and couldn’t justify doubling-up on a pen I tend to save for special occasions. It’s so beautiful, though and I know I will cave some day.

Your Namiki pen display looks stunning. I envy it very much.

Thanks MoriaryR - but I don't see it as doubling up...(justifying the investment here)...besides the different color, I deliberately chose a different nib size, which means I can decide on the pen depending on the paper I intend to use, within the given setting during the day (frantic note-taking during a meeting versus calmly writing in my journal).

But it might be me...I also own the same model/size shoes in different colors to match the occasion...

2 hours ago, Linger said:

Thanks MoriaryR - but I don't see it as doubling up...(justifying the investment here)...besides the different color, I deliberately chose a different nib size, which means I can decide on the pen depending on the paper I intend to use, within the given setting during the day (frantic note-taking during a meeting versus calmly writing in my journal).

But it might be me...I also own the same model/size shoes in different colors to match the occasion...

That makes perfect sense to me -- even the shoes (I have two more or less identical pairs of sneakers so I'm not wearing the same pair day-in, day-out -- they last longer and even supposedly the same model/size will have slight variations which gives my feet a bit of a break as well).

As for the maki-e designs on the pens, they are drop-dead gorgeous.  But for me they are both completely unaffordable, and -- because I am SOOO allergic to poison ivy (aka urushiol oil) -- I don't dare even pick one up.  So I admire them from afar.  

When I was first getting started on here, I found a website that was FULL of amazing looking maki-e pens; and I drooled, and sighed, and said to my husband, "Look dear!  I've just saved you twenty THOUSAND dollars!" (which was roughly the going price per pen).  Sadly, he did not sufficiently contemplate my extreme level of self-sacrifice.... :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Oh, I have many variants of the same pen models - Aurora Internazionales, 88s and Optimas in different colours; the same with Caran d’Ache Lémans, Pelikan M101Ns and M800s, Sailor 1911 Realos, Montblanc Rouge et Noirs, and even two identical black Montblanc Heritage 1912s with the same nib size because I used it so much and “needed” another just in case. I figure if you really like something then having only one is too risky.

I am not so foolish as to imagine I can live my life without the vermillion one. I just held back this time.

Your golden fish also my favorite one, but I haven't enough money to buy it right now. Ha ha 

I really love my namiki chinkin owl, for me it is one of the beautiful fountain pen in the world. 

17 minutes ago, Namiki50 said:

Your golden fish also my favorite one, but I haven't enough money to buy it right now. Ha ha 

I really love my namiki chinkin owl, for me it is one of the beautiful fountain pen in the world. 

I love Chinkin too, when I bought the Goldfish I was able to hold and look at the Maki-e Emperor Dragon, the Dragon 50 size Chinkin and the Goldfish.. and it was a tough choice. The Goldfish won out - just, but I love Chinkin as well so that's my target for 2021.

Well, I do notice that my monetary threshold for a single pen is moving. First it was surpassing the magic 1k mark, I now have a Nakaya bamboo woods on order, and I have a Hakase buffalo horn securely on the wishlist. My grail pen, however, is of a different magnitude. The Namiki Emperor Owl - I am not even speaking of the Goldfish. That would necessitate surpassing many (many) thresholds in one go....

1 hour ago, Linger said:

Well, I do notice that my monetary threshold for a single pen is moving. First it was surpassing the magic 1k mark, I now have a Nakaya bamboo woods on order, and I have a Hakase buffalo horn securely on the wishlist. My grail pen, however, is of a different magnitude. The Namiki Emperor Owl - I am not even speaking of the Goldfish. That would necessitate surpassing many (many) thresholds in one go....

The Owl is another masterful pen, the store near me has one and I've looked at it many times. As expected, it's astonishingly good. Certainly where I live in Asia there isn't much of a price difference between different versions of the Emperors, they are kicking around at a similar rate. I also had the experience of going from a Waterman Expert to the way more expensive Platinum Izumo, then suddenly there is a Namiki Chinkin Matsu, then a Namiki 50 Urushi and now a Goldfish. At least I know it can't reasonably escalate too far from there as a Dunhill-Namiki is not in my forseeable future short of a lottery win.

Here are my two Namikis. The Nippon Art I picked up in Tokyo about 6 years ago and the VP off of r/pen_swap. 

Love writing with the Maki-e. Nib is flawless. 

The Rock Garden in on my grail list. 

2ED20BC7-1887-4FAD-827C-0960BFB022ED.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Family extension! (the last one for some time I hope...)

We all have something with rabbit holes...

And I have thing with white rabbits...Alice and Neo (and Trinity, but that's for another reason)...so the idea of a fountain pen with a (white) rabbit always resonated with me, until the point of pulling the trigger:

the Namiki Nippon Art Origami-Rabbit with a nice clean and precise #5 nib in F. 

It is a small(er) pen and a light(er) pen in my rotation. Meant for making quick notes on sub-ideal office paper. Paired with a fresh green ink, Iroshizuku Shin-Ryoku, to illustrate the animal's habitat.

IMG_2293.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 10/17/2020 at 8:25 PM, Mew said:

Namiki #50 vermillion and a Shop exclusive #50 in sterling silver

MUu9YQT.jpg

z1ufYeR.jpg

bLDD0FX.jpg

Emperor Chinkin Tiger and Goldfish

J1lZ0bh.jpg

a4M3vnw.jpg

GA9v6V7.jpg

XOOqav3.jpg

And one #20 vermillion.

Owing to your post, I noticed the rarity of such a fine treasure and  have got myth at last after selling my valuable pens! The combination of #50 nib and sterling silver body is the first and last of its kind, truly miraculous ! Pilot /Namiki won't admit the existence officially.

• 3 weeks later...

My three grails, No 50 Vermillion (M), Yukari Royale (F) and Emperor Chinkin Dragon (M). All three inked 🤭

image.jpg

12 hours ago, larsm said:

My three grails, No 50 Vermillion (M), Yukari Royale (F) and Emperor Chinkin Dragon (M). All three inked 🤭

image.jpg

wow! Nice to see someone using their Chinkin/maki-e pens. Writing sample please? (Although won’t be different from the vermillion) 

That is a nice box too. Did you tailor made something? And yes, which ink went in what pen and please show us a writing sample.

The box is from my perfect pen of GvFc. I use it to have access to my pens on my working desk and prevent them from rolling away haha

I also did a quick writing sample on Tomoe River Paper - it's a challenge for me to write on that paper as a leftie + overwriter :D hope you guys like it!

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-25 um 18.13.45.png

An extraordinary pen, larsm. I envy you and I’m gratified to see such a pen being used rather than just a collection piece. Looks like a great writer, as I would expect.

6 hours ago, larsm said:

The box is from my perfect pen of GvFc. I use it to have access to my pens on my working desk and prevent them from rolling away haha

I also did a quick writing sample on Tomoe River Paper - it's a challenge for me to write on that paper as a leftie + overwriter :D hope you guys like it!

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-25 um 18.13.45.png

Beautiful! If not too much trouble can I ask what notebook that is? Thanks!