Wetness/flow: Iroshizuku Konpeki Vs. Edelstein Topaz

jonathan7007

How do these two blues compare in flow and wetness?

Thank you to all of wonderful reviews and examples posted here of the characteristics of these two bright blues. I have read many of the posts going back some years but cannot find a direct answer to the choice I have to make.

I lean toward the *slight* advantage in color and saturation of Topaz. But I am chasing another effect. Recently I found my FPR superflex #5 nib in the original Himalaya acrylic wrote WAY more consistently and quickly with some Iroshizuku tsuki-yo. That flow made the pen what it was supposed to be. Monteverde lubrication has not been able to deliver the same consistent benefit, for example. Diamine inks (which I like as a whole) are not consistent although Red Dragon seems to be good - a recent purchase.

I found an new appreciation for the slightly greeny, less saturated blue of tsuki-yo, and because the bottle is low despite my having moved to other inks, I am going to buy another 50ml.

But first something "bright". Comments show that many people find these Pilot colors (in this sub-brand) are formulated to flow well. But I need to know if I can get the same easy, wet, flow in the Edelstein Topaz. I write quickly and use this informal kind of flex for every day notes *and* letters, postcards. I don't write on the nice papers many of the FPN community keep at hand. I need that ink to nearly gush on cotton stationery, and even postcards. (It's a fine line between blorp (feed failure) - document ruined - and punchy, saturated color in letterforms that are consistent.) That "Superflex" nib in #5 and #6 is fussy.

So, any thoughts about the flow comparison between Konpeki and Topaz?

Edited by jonathan7007

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RJS

• jonathan7007

• Intensity

• aurore

Top Posters In This Topic

Konpeki is quite a bit wetter. And lightfast.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

Pilot Iroshizuku are on the wet and runny and lubricated end of the ink spectrum. Pelikan Edelstein inks are generally the opposite: drier or very dry, and low to negative (I'm looking at you, Aquamarine) lubrication.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Thank you, Intensity and Aurore.

Exactly what I needed before pushing the "take my money" button. I need the predisposition to fast, easy, flow to make non-standard combinations of nib and feed work and even in some factory-spec rigs.

There's a thread here on the most "lubricating" inks where one of the Edelstein inks, Tanzenite, is listed as exceptional in that regard. I bought a bottle after reading that and wasn't disappointed. I'd judge their inks individually, rather than writing them all off in their entirety, which I did for a while. I don't own Topaz, mainly because of the worry that the whole line would be dry.

RJS, I saw that review, too, and it's what piqued my interest in the color as an alternative.

Given the apparently *wider* agreement about the flow qualities of kon-peki, I'll order that instead. I am trying to make cheap pens write interesting lines and the ink has to be my ally. Won't always fix the problem but be willing to try!

I have always found Topaz to be a good ink for flow — not oily like some Sailor or KWZ, more of the runny wet like Herbin. I'd agree with the comment above to judge the Edelstein inks individually.

Anthony

ukfountainpens.com

Interesting to see Topaz compared to Kon-peki, since I have both inks. But I see them as different colors, with Topaz leaning a little more turquoise, and Kon-peki more of a bright blue without any green/turquoise to it.

What I found to be a much more interesting comparison is Topaz vs. Diamine Havasu Turquoise, because -- side by side -- they appear identical (and I'm the one who sees really subtle nuances between inks on a regular basis). I was even trying to do a comparison using each ink in two different pens for an absolute side by side (until I lost one of the pens... :(). The ONLY difference was that I thought that Topaz had a little better flow than Havasu Turquoise; otherwise it would have been a no-brainer of "buy the less expensive ink". I actually ended up buying a small bottle of Havasu Turquoise, but have a preference for Topaz (which is weird because I ended up buying a bottle of the old PR Rose Rage because it was so similar to Iroshizuku Kosumosu (for a fraction of the price).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."