Bringing A Skyline Back To Life, Need Help On Polishing And Replacing Clip.

PaperRabbit

So I got an Eversharp Skyline from a seller that claims it was a model from '46. It was cheap so I decided to adopt as my first vintage and my first gold nib. I saw a video of it working so I know there's flow.

IMG_20201012_112852.jpg IMG_20201012_113000.jpg

I got it today and started looking into maintenance, first thing was cleaning/dissassembling so that's where I'm at.

The thing was filthy, I've washed it and gone through it with quite a few cotton swabs and I'm still removing black ink from the feed section and the cap. It also has a few scratches on the plastic and the clip seems to have some rust on the inner parts. The plastic on the pen is not broken and besides looking a bit worn seems to be ok.

1602537379513.jpg

I don't want it to be perfect, but how do I go about removing the rust on the metal and polishing the outer plastic? Also, anyone knows where I can get a replacement clip? The one on it is broken and was soldered back right on the double checkmark area :'D

I'm not bothering with removing the pressure bar/lever as they seem to work fine and are beyond what I feel confident in dissassembling.

I've been looking around but also don't want to be too rough and ruin an otherwise working pen.

Edited by PaperRabbit

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Addertooth

• Wahlnut

• Ron Z

• carola

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It looks like you got one with a really stiff and fine point. It should leave a very fine line when restored.

As for the clip, I would just buy another, rather than repair that clip.

Most people just polish pens with really fine sandpaper. You can get an amazingly glossy finish using that technique.

Search for an article on "polishing pens". There is a specific type (which the name currently slips my mind) of small

cloth-backed sheets of abrasive that just about everyone uses. They render a glass-like finish if used correctly.

With the cap screwed down, what is the overall length of your pen?

Edited by Addertooth

Finding just the clip won't be easy, and it will be expensive when you find one. It's been a very long time since I had any NOS clips. The ones I use on pens that I repair come from donor pens. In other words, look for a donor with other problems, but a good clip.

I know that the clip had already been broken and repaired, but f I may be so bold....

I don't recommend taking the clip and all that off of the cap on a Skyline unless you absolutely have to. The metal gets brittle with age, and the little tabs that fit under the washer and hold the back end of the clip down are ridiculously fragile, and break very easily. You stand an even chance of having them break off. Leave it together, clean as best you can, and leave well enough alone.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

It looks like you got one with a really stiff and fine point. It should leave a very fine line when restored.

As for the clip, I would just buy another, rather than repair that clip.

Most people just polish pens with really fine sandpaper. You can get an amazingly glossy finish using that technique.

Search for an article on "polishing pens". There is a specific type (which the name currently slips my mind) of small

cloth-backed sheets of abrasive that just about everyone uses. They render a glass-like finish if used correctly.

With the cap screwed down, what is the overall length of your pen?

Do you happen to know where I can get a new clip?

I measured it with the cap on, its 13cm, a little more than 5in.

5 1/4 inches means you have a Standard sized Skyline, as opposed to a Demi (4 7/8) or an Executive (5 5/8).

As Ron said, you will probably have to look for a parts pen that has a nice clip, for example on Ebay. You sometimes also get a single derby with a clip there, too, but please note that the colour of the derby varies depending on the pen´s colour. In any case, it will take some looking around and some luck if you want to change that clip.

Edited by carola

...and the question about the overall length of the pen is a good one. The clip does change in length as the length of the barrel and cap change. Shorter pens = shorter clip. Don't ask me for length though for each size pen.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

...and the question about the overall length of the pen is a good one. The clip does change in length as the length of the barrel and cap change. Shorter pens = shorter clip. Don't ask me for length though for each size pen.

Ron, your comment left me confused. I think that the length of the clip is identical on the three Skyline models:

fpn_1602765245__skyl3.jpg

I don´t have an Executive, but I measured my Standards and Demis when I read it and my findings are the same. No difference in the clip length.

• 1 month later...

Our (WAHL-EVERSHARP) modern Skyline pens use the same specs clips as the vintage. So a replacement is available these days. 

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens

• 2 weeks later...

Don't just tease us Syd.  How much are the replacement clips for the Skyline?  (I tried to find it on the pensbury manor site first before asking).

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 8:13 PM, Addertooth said:

Don't just tease us Syd.  How much are the replacement clips for the Skyline?  (I tried to find it on the pensbury manor site first before asking).

They’re not listed on the website. People send me emails and we handle it that way. But without violating rules here I’ll just say under $25. 
Also, while the the clip length may not measure differently on tge front of pen the length required to wrap over the cap derby IS DIFFERENT.  You simply can not use a standard clip on an executive pen. 

Syd "the Wahlnut" Saperstein

Pensbury Manor

Vintage Wahl Eversharp Writing Instruments

Pensbury Manor

The WAHL-EVERSHARP Company

www.wahleversharp.com

New WAHL-EVERSHARP fountain and Roller-Ball pens