• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• corniche

• mauckcg

• Carrau

• Intensity

That Aluminum Oxide is calling my name...

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

They have some very nice looking pens too!

I recently bought one of their Sixth Avenue pens in Gold Seam with Nemosine nibs-solid, beautifully made pens and excellent nibs. I believe Edison Pens is using some of the same material at nearly three times the price.

Thanks for posting the link, Herrjaeger.

Now to see if they've got Truss Blue back in stock.... Sooner or later my samples are gonna run out (and this has been a problem since they had the B&M store in Pittsburgh -- they never seemed to have it in stock when I'd stick my nose in the store. Guess it was a really popular color....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: Hmmm. No Truss Blue. :( Wonder if Ice Rink will be a good enough substitute.... Also notice that Waterfront Dusk seems a lot more red than what I bought back when the B&M was still open....

I know that later bottles of Walnut Street Brown were different from mine (I chalked that up at the time to them having switched where they were ordering the dyes from).

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Going to have to order some Electron,

Hi Mauckcg,

Yup. I got the Electron, too - as well as Waterfront Dusk, (looks like a deep magenta), and Boiler Steam.

Should have them in a couple/three days. :)

- Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

...I believe Edison Pens is using some of the same material at nearly three times the price.

Hi Herrjaeger,

I checked out the Sixth Avenue Pens; unfortunately, Gold Seam is no longer available, (according to their website), but how is the $129 Sixth Avenue three times cheaper than the $159 Edison? (Or are you comparing the Sixth Avenue to Edison's Custom Line?) :unsure:

- Sean

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

The material is only available in Edison's Signature Line.

Ah, okay. Thnx.

- S.

I wrote to Birmingham Pen Co. to ask about the new inks, and they did basically confirm that the new inks are not exactly the same as the previous inks made with the same names. So I would buy based on the currently posted ink swab photographs on their site, not based on previously posted reviews. Because a lot of those older reviews were done before the switch to in-house ink production.

P.S.: I've found this helpful review of 3 new Birmingham Pen Co. inks:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fountainpens/comments/hov5il/new_birmingham_pen_co_inks/

There's even a water resistance test included for them. Based on the photographs of the 3 inks in that review, the colors shown are very consistent with what the new swabs on Birmingham Pen Co. site show.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Hi Mauckcg,

Yup. I got the Electron, too - as well as Waterfront Dusk, (looks like a deep magenta), and Boiler Steam.

Should have them in a couple/three days. :)

Just placed my order, Electron, Petroleum, Snowflake, Ice Rink, Cold Steel. That's a good start. :D

Just placed my order, Electron, Petroleum, Snowflake, Ice Rink, Cold Steel. That's a good start. :D

Yup. 👍

I see you favor the lighter/medium blues - me, too. I'll be interested to see what you think of them.

Yup.

I see you favor the lighter/medium blues - me, too. I'll be interested to see what you think of them.

I have two older inks and an older sample. Point Park Turquoise is more of a medium blue-green, Andrew Carnegie Steel Blue, a nice darker blue to almost but not quite Blue Black, almost out of that one. Winter garden Snowflake is the sample which is waaaaaaaay lighter than Ama-Iro and not really useable for me.

I have high hopes, especially Electron. I could see the old SAPS buildings before they were torn down and turned into a concrete pad.

I have two older inks and an older sample. Point Park Turquoise is more of a medium blue-green, Andrew Carnegie Steel Blue, a nice darker blue to almost but not quite Blue Black, almost out of that one. Winter garden Snowflake is the sample which is waaaaaaaay lighter than Ama-Iro and not really useable for me.

I have high hopes, especially Electron. I could see the old SAPS buildings before they were torn down and turned into a concrete pad.

Yeah, I have high hope's, too. Let's hope they don't turn out like the Amityville house. :lol:

cfc3d59d54955d1439dcd2854ffdb119.jpg?wid

Seriously, though; I do.

Have high hopes. ;)

PS: So, you must be from around Pittsburgh. :)

Yeah, I have high hope's, too. Let's hope they don't turn out like the Amityville house. :lol:

cfc3d59d54955d1439dcd2854ffdb119.jpg?wid

Seriously, though; I do.

Have high hopes. ;)

PS: So, you must be from around Pittsburgh. :)

Moved down for work a few years back. B)

• 3 weeks later...

20201030_184455.jpg?width=1920&height=10

20201030_191500.jpg?width=1920&height=10