Kanwrite Nib-Housings

HartGummi

My experience with fountainpens ended some time ago. Coincidentally my handwriting also deteriorated around that same time.

Having sworn to put my eyedropper pens to paper I started wondering about the nibs. Kanwrite nibs (from the few reviews I have seen) seem to be good especially for their price.

Unfortunately I am a student who cannot afford to buy lots of nibs from the people who made my ebonite pens. :(

I want to know if Kanwrite's nib-housings are compatible within "standard" sections.

Do "standard" housings even exist? Could I fit one of Kanwrite's nibs into my two Jowo #6 tipped pens ?

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HartGummi

• Dimy

• hari317

• steve50

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Which pens do you have with JoWo nib? Pls post a pic of the nib and feed. The pic will give a good idea of what might be compatible.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I managed to insert a Kanwrite nib into a Jowo housing, not with the Jowo feed but with the Chinese feed Kanwrite uses (looks the same as Jinhao feeds). I also have an 'Oliver' nib (another Indian nib) in a Jowo no. 5 housing with the original Jowo feed, and it works really well.

I managed to insert a Kanwrite nib into a Jowo housing, not with the Jowo feed but with the Chinese feed Kanwrite uses (looks the same as Jinhao feeds). I also have an 'Oliver' nib (another Indian nib) in a Jowo no. 5 housing with the original Jowo feed, and it works really well.

Any idea if Oliver sells nibs over to customers? A quick internet search did not yield anything of worth.

Any idea if Oliver sells nibs over to customers? A quick internet search did not yield anything of worth.

This is their webpage: http://www.oliverpens.com/fountain-pens.html

Here's my Italix Parson's Essential with an Oliver nib in it. I got the Oliver pen as a free gift included with a Ranga pen. The nib writes about as fine as a Japanese fine, and I think it's smoother than my Platinum SF. Doesn't have a whole lot of character but very reliable.

IMG_20201008_140331067_HDR.jpg

My experience with fountainpens ended some time ago. Coincidentally my handwriting also deteriorated around that same time.

Having sworn to put my eyedropper pens to paper I started wondering about the nibs. Kanwrite nibs (from the few reviews I have seen) seem to be good especially for their price.

Unfortunately I am a student who cannot afford to buy lots of nibs from the people who made my ebonite pens. :(

I want to know if Kanwrite's nib-housings are compatible within "standard" sections.

Do "standard" housings even exist? Could I fit one of Kanwrite's nibs into my two Jowo #6 tipped pens ?

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Hmm I have seen some Kanwrite housing for jowo and bock nibs on thepenworld.com so I think they do make them, you can also ask Kanwrite directly via mail, they are quite fast with quarries and watsapp can be used to place order directly from them although that will involve paying for delivery.

Also if you can change the nibs yourself then the nibs are actually quite economical in price for regular ones.

EDIT- Also as hari sir pointed out a pic will do wonders on whichever pen you are considering to make changes on.

Edited by Dimy

I was away and left my pens at home. Hopefully I will be able to post the nib's image by tomorrow.

On further thinking, I believe the nib is a Schmidt not a JoWo.

I was away and left my pens at home. Hopefully I will be able to post the nib's image by tomorrow.

On further thinking, I believe the nib is a Schmidt not a JoWo.

As long as its about only changing the nib it should be quite easy, entire housing will depend on pen and nib size.

As long as its about only changing the nib it should be quite easy, entire housing will depend on pen and nib size.

I like the thought of changing nibs by simply screwing them in along with the housings a lot more than swapping nibs. Schmidt's feed seems to work well (no burping) so keeping it while swapping nibs might be a good idea.

Edited by HartGummi

Kanwrite and Moonman feeds are basically indistinguishable.

They truly are indistinguishable. I will make a note to buy Moonman's pens later this year.

Does the similarity between Bock and Kanwrite also extend to the screw threads?

They truly are indistinguishable. I will make a note to buy Moonman's pens later this year.

Does the similarity between Bock and Kanwrite also extend to the screw threads?

Sort of. A bock nib unit went into both my Desires pretty sweetly.

The reverse didn't work. I tired a Kanwrite unit in a Namisu Nova and it wouldn't seat all the way down.

The reverse didn't work. I tired a Kanwrite unit in a Namisu Nova and it wouldn't seat all the way down.

Ah, well I will try to get good eyedroppers made for Kanwrite nib housings. If only Kanwrite made pretty eyedroppers...

Just a point to remember that Kanwrite heritage and Kanwrite desire use different feed and nib housing on heritage is wider then on desire, nibs are same on both though. Be careful when ordering. Also heritage feed will not accept cartridge or convertor (heritage is piston filler so there is no real reason to). Heritage is ebonite feed while desire is plastic.

Also one can easily use desire as ED..I use mine, they do make blaze, apex and kingdom (if I remember correctly) which are ED but is less known of the lot.

If you have sections threaded for JoWo nibs, Kanwrite now makes Jowo threading compatible nib units. I got a bunch of those recently. I'll get to try them once I get back to where my pens are :)

I've also heard that their Bock compatible units are a bit of a gamble. Some go in without any issues, whereas others wouldn't thread in completely.

If you have sections threaded for JoWo nibs, Kanwrite now makes Jowo threading compatible nib units. I got a bunch of those recently. I'll get to try them once I get back to where my pens are :)

My poor luck. I should have asked for a Jowo nib instead of Schmidt.

Don't forget to keep us informed about your nib fitting. :)

I will send a message to Kanwrite asking about compatibility.

7FaeDGn.jpg

Here is one relatively clear image of the nib.

Thats a Schmidt no 5 nib unit. FH341. Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thats a Schmidt no 5 nib unit. FH341.

So can I put nibs other than Schmidt's into my pen? I gave the nib a tug to check whether I could taken the nib and feeder out, but they did not budge.

I wonder how hard it needs to be pulled.

So can I put nibs other than Schmidt's into my pen? I gave the nib a tug to check whether I could taken the nib and feeder out, but they did not budge.

I wonder how hard it needs to be pulled.

Can I ask you why you want to do that? I mean whats the issue with the current nib?