Classifieds is broken, please do not submit any new ads ×

Pbs Nova - A To Z

BaronWulfraed

{Hoping this is an acceptable area to post this}

For those in range of a PBS station, I hope you caught the second part of Nova's "A to Z" two part series yesterday.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/series/a-to-z/

(If you missed it -- it might stream from that link).

There were some interesting points... Like papyrus/reed-pen combination allowed for fairly rapid writing, so Rome had a high degree of scrolls available via libraries. But after the empire fell apart, lost ready access to papyrus. Parchment making was slow and costly (equivalent of four large pages per hide), AND required such a slow hand to write that scribes would be lucky to get two pages copied out per day! And the cost of having a scribe spend a year on a book was equivalent to buying a small home.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BaronWulfraed

• Carrau

• brokenclay

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I watched it, and found it as interesting as Part 1. I couldn’t help wondering why the Romans never tried growing papyrus closer to home. In Episode 1, the alphabets derived from Egyptian hieroglyphs seemed to evolve toward ease of use and efficiency. This episode suggested the complexity of Arabic/Islamic letters/ writing delayed its ability to be used in mass printing-I wonder why it wasn’t modified sooner, as hieroglyphs were, by others living in the same geographic area? I thought the same thing about the number and complexity of Chinese alphabet/characters/ writing, versus smaller alphabets, in terms of learnability/ usability (apart from the aesthetics of Chinese and Arabic systems). My comments aren't meant as criticisms, but I'm curious why alphabets evolved In different ways, and hopefully the series will delve into this a bit.

BaronWulfraed

Unfortunately, the write-up implies it was /just/ the two parts... Basically from hieroglyphs to printing press.

Thanks for the heads up that it is a two parter - we watched the second half (How Writing Changed the World), but didn't realize there was a first half (The First Alphabet).

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. jar
      jar
    5. wimg
      wimg
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Ferocity
      I hope you enjoy it ❤️ You are so very lucky ❤️
    • halffriedchicken
      Not sure if this has been suggested already but would a setting for localized regions or chapters in FPN be helpful? I don't know if there is a way to find local FPN members who would be nearby. I don't know if we want to be discoverable but a setting to know how many members are in 25, 50, or a 100 miles of each other might be helpful. We can create a regions specific network like Craigslist where people could use that to connect with nearby members, conduct in person sales, arrange FPN meetups
    • Daneaxe
      Hi again all, I forgot to tell y'all that I made the post about Sweden ink PIF. Most have probably found it long ago, but here's a link, anyway:      
    • Ayami_109
      I read your blog post and all the replies with much interest. I'm a FP user in Australia. Been part of this forum for years but rarely post. I did come across your ink sharing thread and considered participation. For me it's not lack of interest but lack of time to play around with FP and inks. I'd feel bad to put my hand up for the box and just have it sit until gosh knows when...   I also think that the FP community in Australia is smaller, and I wonder how many in the community are
    • A Smug Dill
      Even so, you'd end up with a fragmented list, and it becomes an O(N²) process for each prospective requestor to check what is available: effectively recreate the list of currently active servers (without any reliable up-to-date info upfront about the inks and number of samples on offer in the thread) from the sequential list of posts, which may be spread over two or even more pages, and then query each server independently to check what is currently on offer.   It comes down to not hav
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Expiring Soon

• By benbot517
      51 years and 8 months
    • By benbot517
      51 years and 8 months
    • By benbot517
      51 years and 8 months
    • By Okami
      51 years and 8 months