Advice Needed. Personalization On Nakaya's.

Barutti

Dear all,

I have 2 Nakaya's, clipless versions Cigar Aka Tamenuri and Piccolo long in Kuro Tamenuri. Both comes from the dealers and now I thinking to personalize them- put my signature in Kanji. This option in Nakaya company available for new orders, but I afraid that it will be too difficult and pricy to send them old Nakaya with inquiry only for maki-e sighature..

May be there are other independent artists who can make (draw) signature in this technique on my Nakayas?

Thank you in advance for suggestions!

Giedrius

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Barutti

• kazoolaw

• MsRedpen

• Pen Nut

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Giedrius,

Perhaps you can try to contact Catherine at sakurafountainpengalery in Belgium to point you to master calligraphers and artist in Kanji on fountain pens.

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Thank you gary and vikrmbedi!

I contacted them and waiting reply from Mr.Shin and Urusi Studio BOKUMONDOH. It is only small chance, that their will accept as from disclaimer on urushi studio web side, I understand that their overloaded and prioritizes complex works for new pen.

Let's wait the answers.

For the best result, would not the personalization need to be done before the final coats of lacquer and its polishing? I am asking this based on the assumption the desire would be for the personalization to not be raised above the level of the rest of the surface of the pen or to have a minimal height increase and to be incorporated/blended into the pen.

It is good remark, Parker51. Thank you.

I will check this point before final order. So long, I don't have final conformations from no one.

Sample size of one: Ernest Shin applied urushi, aka tamenuri, to a raw Dani Sho-Genkai. [Thank you Kevin]

He also applied kanji in gold on the barrel. It is raised which, along with the contrasting color, gives a dimensional contrast to the barrel. It is not prominently raised, but it is above the barrel.

Although completely different than our conversation, the ishime finish also has a dimensionality to it.

gary

Edited by gary

• 2 weeks later...

Short update about the status from my side.

I get confirmation from Catherine at Sakura fountain pen gallery (Belgium) that Nakaya accepted to do personalization for my two Nakaya's and pens already on the way to Belgium, from there their will be shipped to Japan. I will show final result, when pens will come back to me:)

Many thanks for your advices and Catherine for cooperation to get acceptance from Nakaya.

Giedrius

• 2 months later...

Merry Christmas to all!

Just before the Christmas I get back my Nakaya's with maki-e kanji from Sakura f.p.g and sharing the images. I enjoy the final result a lot.

Giedrius

Nakaya_1.JPG

Nakaya_2.JPG

Nakaya_3.JPG

Barutti, Thanks for sharing those pictures, the pens are wonderful and why does everyone seem able to take better pictures than me !!

Pictured below is a photo I took of my better pens (in better days) and the Nakaya long writer had a Kanji done by Mr Shin reading 'friend of fortune' . I do regret selling that just to go down the blingy pen route, we live and learn but time creeps up, hey now there's a Kanji idea !

nac.jpg

A wise man once said    " the best revenge is wealth "   but a wiser man answered back    " the best revenge is happiness "

The true definition of madness - Doing the same thing everyday and expecting different results......

@PenNut: I think I was lucky to catch some daylight in these "grey" winter days:) 

Yours Kanji idea is great.