• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• antoniosz

• gweimer1

• corgicoupe

• pajaro

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wagging wildly. Dollar, Dollar, J, LJ, SJ, LJ, J. Although I am probably way off

I love red pens. Those are great pens and they make me feel good!

The year? No clue. Esterbrooks come from a time when the world was mystical and wonderful and enchanted!

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I think the 1st Dollar is the 1934 version with the clip that pinches off at the cap, and the 2nd is the 1938 version that continues expanding to the jewel.

The icicle pattern IDs the LJ.

Does the colored jewel tel anything about the 3rd pastel? Those three are pastels, aren't they?

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Very nice 1934 Dollar with the solid color but very weak plastic. Then the 1938 dollar (from the left). The sixth is the LJ icicle and of course the last on the right is the J, The workhorse of the Esties. The middle ones (3 and 4 from the left) are not pastels... :) The 5th is a second Generation pastel with the colored jewel.

Edited by antoniosz

Indeed they are Made in England. Typically with great nibs. Any one has more info, years etc?

No real info on years, but the lever is the spoon style, indicating '50s

I had been guessing that the three solid color pens in the middle might be Pastels, since they show up on my screen looking a lot pinker than the J series pens to the right of them. I think I had heard that there were some UK production Esties, but didn't know a lot of details about them.

I love this site, I learn new stuff all the time!

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

There is another design of the UK Esties with gold trip which show up with 14C Relief renew points.
I have a blue (See https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/31678-esterbrook-gold-nib/?p=292996)
I might have a red, not sure. If I dont, I need to find one :) :)
Again any information for the UK Esterbrook would be appreciated!

I am confused aout the first one that is a dollar design, red, with a spoon lever. Thank you for posting.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I believe the first on the left is the 1934 version of the Dollar, with the clip that "pinches off" where it bends over the top of the cap. The 1938 version has the clip that flares all the way to the dick that is engraved Esterbrook. My 1934 is BHR [faded to brown] and my later Dollar is plastic and the red J color.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

• 2 weeks later...

I recently acquired a red LJ Icicle. Just like the one here, it appears copperish - until I place it beside a copper, then it looks red :).

Are all of the red icicles this color?