Montblanc X Fritz Schimpf Special Edition The Expressive

Fritz Schimpf

We are very happy to be able to announce today the result of a two year long process: our

Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf Special Edition The Expressive fountain pen.

Based on the iconic Montblanc Meisterstück 149 it features a very special italic flex nib.

The combination of an italic cut and a flex nib results in very special writing properties.

To write with The Expressive is to be enchanted anew by the simple pleasure of ink on paper.

Detailed information can be found here: https://www.fritz-schimpf.de/en/Writing-instruments/Fountain-pens/Montblanc-x-Fritz-Schimpf-Special-Edition-The-Expressive.html

And now some photographs...

The-Expressive-01.jpg

The-Expressive-03.jpg

The-Expressive-08.jpg

Handwriting-01.jpg

With happiness,

Fritz Schimpf

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fritz Schimpf

• a student

• Zdenek

• zaddick

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Tom Kellie:

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback. We are more than happy now,

that the development of this nib has come to an end and the pen a reality.

Those interested in some background information about the development of The Expressive please read on.

More than three years ago we met the nibmasters of Montblanc in Hamburg for the first time and discussed

the details of our first cooperation with Montblanc, which resulted in our Italic 100 pen. In the course of this

discussion we asked if it were possible to realize an italic flex nib.

Back then, our wish was declined due to technical reasons.

Time passed and we were still thinking about an italic flex nib. Then in early spring 2019, after long and

intense discussions, Montblanc agreed to realize another cooperation with us. This time, due to their

development of the wonderful 149 Flex and Gold Leaf Flex, an italic flex nib would be tried.

Had Montblanc and we known all the obstacles in this process then, this nib would never exist.

It took more than one year and many test nibs to achieve the nib of The Expressive.

The grind of the tip of the nib was the first challenge. A precise and smooth writing sensation and

at the same time high flexibility are factors difficult to combine. When the wonderful nibmasters at

Montblanc came up with a solution for the grind, the next obstacle presented itself.

The ink flow. How to maintain a steady and always sufficient ink flow with a nib that demands very

little ink when lightly written and rivers of ink when flexed? To make things even more interesting

the very different properties of fountain pen inks on the market have a great influence here.

After months of trial and error a solution was devised by Montblanc and we were invited to test write

each one of the 80 nibs in Hamburg.

On a cold but clear winter morning we took the first plane to Hamburg and arrived early at the

headquarters of Montblanc, seeing for the first time the wonderful Montblanc museum being build.

After arriving at the sacred nib manufacture part of the company we started to test write 80 nibs.

We love writing with fountain pens but test writing 80 nibs is a surprisingly tiring job.

Although it was tiring to test write these nibs, it was a great pleasure. Even more so, considering all

the obstacles and months that had passed since this project had started. The nibs are astonishingly

uniform for nibs that have been hand made. Only slight differences exist regarding the pressure point

for flexing. Some of the nibs of The Expressive are slightly softer, others slightly harder.

Then Covid-19 struck and all our plans for celebrating our 140th company anniversary were shattered,

as well as the release date of The Expressive…

Finally, six months later than planed, we are happy and excited that The Expressive is about to be

discovered.

Fritz Schimpf

The Expensive :unsure: No doubt it's a delightful nib. I'll have make do with the 14k flex 0.6 cursive italic Pablo made for me.

Add lightness and simplicate.

The Expensive :unsure: No doubt it's a delightful nib. I'll have make do with the 14k flex 0.6 cursive italic Pablo made for me.

No doubt there is an up charge compared to a stock MB 149. But expensive is a relative term. The cost of the entire pen is less that the cost of just the bespoke nib from MB if ordered to one's specifications.

Anyone with a decent dip nib holder and some steel flex nibs could think any gold flex nib is a waste of money.

I hope the pen is a success and MB is encouraged to explore more exotic bib options for those who desire them.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I made my first purchase from Fritz Schimpf the other day (the Pelikan Moonstone set). Glad to see a presence here on FPN.

Posted Image

But expensive is a relative term.

Yes, it definitely is, and relative to my paltry pension .......

Enjoying a MB 234.5 flexy B. Perhaps Santa will pop a lovely Expressive in my stocking.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

The ink flow. How to maintain a steady and always sufficient ink flow with a nib that demands very

little ink when lightly written and rivers of ink when flexed? To make things even more interesting

the very different properties of fountain pen inks on the market have a great influence here.

Fritz Schimpf

Being an enthusiastic user of several 149 pens The Expressive is a great temptation for me. ... I would like to ask which specific ink behaves best with such a great nib?

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

Being an enthusiastic user of several 149 pens The Expressive is a great temptation for me. ... I would like to ask which specific ink behaves best with such a great nib?

We have tested the pens with our Fritz Schimpf fritzrot ink and have found that this ink is very good for such a nib. Also our gewitterwolke ink works very well. Beside these two inks we have had very good results with Montblanc Royal Blue, Montblanc Petrol Blue as well as with some of the Pilot iroshizuku inks like tsuki-yo and syo-ro.

Drier inks like our niebla or gelassenheit ink work ok, but can result in skipping.

Thank you very much.

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill

You are very welcome.

Please find a quick comparison of both inks written with The Expressive below.

The-Expressive-two-inks.jpg

This is written on our Fritz Schimpf Feinpost paper.

You are very welcome.

Please find a quick comparison of both inks written with The Expressive below.

attachicon.gif The-Expressive-two-inks.jpg

This is written on our Fritz Schimpf Feinpost paper.

Thank you for the sample of writing. The red writing looks more interesting I think.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/26/2020 at 10:28 AM, Fritz Schimpf said:

We are very happy to be able to announce today the result of a two year long process: our

Montblanc x Fritz Schimpf Special Edition The Expressive fountain pen.

Based on the iconic Montblanc Meisterstück 149 it features a very special italic flex nib.

The combination of an italic cut and a flex nib results in very special writing properties.

To write with The Expressive is to be enchanted anew by the simple pleasure of ink on paper.

Detailed information can be found here: https://www.fritz-schimpf.de/en/Writing-instruments/Fountain-pens/Montblanc-x-Fritz-Schimpf-Special-Edition-The-Expressive.html

And now some photographs...

The-Expressive-01.jpg

The-Expressive-03.jpg

The-Expressive-08.jpg

Handwriting-01.jpg

With happiness,

Fritz Schimpf

A fine product, but the store seems to have run out of it! Any possibility of a new lot becoming available? Would definitely consider buying one

3 hours ago, newstudent said:

A fine product, but the store seems to have run out of it! Any possibility of a new lot becoming available? Would definitely consider buying one

I suggest that you contact Fritz-Schimpf. They are very responsive. I purchased my Montblanc 149 Calligraphy from them when no one in the USA seemed to have one. 

They probably had to order a minimum number of them from Montblanc. If there is sufficient interest, they may order another batch. No one—except me, maybe—wants to get stuck with 90 unsellable pens. 

"One can not waste time worrying about small minds . . . If we were normal, we'd still be using free ball point pens." —Bo Bo Olson

"I already own more ink than a rational person can use in a lifetime." —Waski_the_Squirrel

I'm still trying to figure out how to list all my pens down here.

The pens were, indeed, a limited batch order. This was the second collaboration. The first was a 146 model and was 100 pens. This second edition was like 80 pens if I recall. Far more limited than the regular Calligraphy model 149. 

8 hours ago, Frank C said:

I suggest that you contact Fritz-Schimpf. They are very responsive. I purchased my Montblanc 149 Calligraphy from them when no one in the USA seemed to have one. 

They probably had to order a minimum number of them from Montblanc. If there is sufficient interest, they may order another batch. No one—except me, maybe—wants to get stuck with 90 unsellable pens. 

Thank you. You are right. I should check with Fritz-Shimpf

7 hours ago, zaddick said:

The pens were, indeed, a limited batch order. This was the second collaboration. The first was a 146 model and was 100 pens. This second edition was like 80 pens if I recall. Far more limited than the regular Calligraphy model 149. 

Thanks. The 146 model and the 149 had "identical" nibs in your opinion (in the sense that the intent was that the nibs have similar features in terms of flexibility and width, etc- only the sizes would be different)?

The 146 was a different nib with different characteristics as far as I understand it. You could also them for clarification,  but I think both might still have the web pages with descriptions. 

12 minutes ago, zaddick said:

The 146 was a different nib with different characteristics as far as I understand it. You could also them for clarification,  but I think both might still have the web pages with descriptions. 

Thank you- will check out with Fritz-Schimpf and that should solve it