Aurora Optima: Arguably The Best Modern Italian Pen, Especially If You Use Pens For Writing.

dms525

8 hours ago, Udenberg said:

I have 3 Optima’s: 2 in Fine and 1 in Medium and they all write a thinner line than my Montblancs and Pelikan’s with the same size. The only Japanese pen that I have is a Sailor Pro Gear in F and it is comparable with my Aurora F’s.

My experience is a little different, at least regarding Fine (and Extra Fine). The Aurora line is definitely wider than my Japanese pens in these sizes (sample size of two Auroras and two each Pilot, Sailor and Platinum). 

From what I have read on this board, and from my own limited experience, to say that Aurora lines are narrower than Montblanc and Pelikan is not saying much. It's almost as if those two makers, and possibly Lamy and others, have their own wider standard for each size than other non-Japanese makers. I haven't done a systematic study of this, but I keep it in my mind as a handy guide to rule my expectations when I'm making a purchase. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sansenri

• dms525

• Karmachanic

• MoriartyR

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Note that several vendors, for example nibs dot com, have tables comparing the width of many pens' nibs. See: https://www.nibs.com/content/nib-tipping-sizes

In general (because we can always find exceptions to any generalization), Aurora nib widths are the same for Medium and Fine to most American and European makes. The Japanese nibs (Pilot, Platinum/Nakaya) are narrower. Pelikan is wider than others. I don't have data on Mont Blanc.

David

6 hours ago, dms525 said:

Note that several vendors, for example nibs dot com, have tables comparing the width of many pens' nibs. See: https://www.nibs.com/content/nib-tipping-sizes

Good point and that also reminds me that Goulet Pens has a visual representation of many nib widths, including Aurora. 

Another general question I have about the Optima is the relationship to the 88. At first glance it appears the Optima is more or less a flat-top version of the 88? Speaking of the barrel and section diameter primarily. Can anyone weigh in on these two models feeling similar in the hand? 

Thanks

6 hours ago, sketchstack said:

Good point and that also reminds me that Goulet Pens has a visual representation of many nib widths, including Aurora. 

Another general question I have about the Optima is the relationship to the 88. At first glance it appears the Optima is more or less a flat-top version of the 88? Speaking of the barrel and section diameter primarily. Can anyone weigh in on these two models feeling similar in the hand? 

Thanks

I have an older version of the 88, the one with the long tines, but I think all modern Optima’s and 88’s have the same nib and section. I can’t really say whether those feel the same while writing, because with the long tines version (like my 88) the distance to the paper is different. Hence it feels somewhat different than writing with the Optima. But I’d guess that any 88 or Optima with the same nib would feel te same. Hopefully someone who knows that can chime in.

11 hours ago, sketchstack said:

Thanks

Essentially they are the same pen in two different styles and to me they feel similar to use. The only difference I notice in use is the length, but both pens are light and the caps post securely. If the Optima feels too short for you then you can post the cap and it doesn’t disturb the balance.

The Optima is significantly shorter than the 88 (123mm vs 130mm uncapped) but the barrel is slightly broader (14.3mm vs 13.8mm) and it has slightly greater ink capacity (1.43ml vs 1.36ml). They both weigh the same uncapped (just 14.0g). The sections on the Optima and 88 are similar but the Optima is slightly broader (10.2mm vs 9.7mm) - and both are very comfortable to use with this long section design. Measurements all according to Goulet Pens website.

Here’s a photo with an Optima on the left and an 88 on the right (Internazionale in the middle) so you can compare them.

image.thumb.jpeg.420d1e836d894629c123541ffedaa020.jpeg

8 hours ago, MoriartyR said:

Essentially they are the same pen in two different styles and to me they feel similar to use. The only difference I notice in use is the length, but both pens are light and the caps post securely. If the Optima feels too short for you then you can post the cap and it doesn’t disturb the balance.

The Optima is significantly shorter than the 88 (123mm vs 130mm uncapped) but the barrel is slightly broader (14.3mm vs 13.8mm) and it has slightly greater ink capacity (1.43ml vs 1.36ml). They both weigh the same uncapped (just 14.0g). The sections on the Optima and 88 are similar but the Optima is slightly broader (10.2mm vs 9.7mm) - and both are very comfortable to use with this long section design. Measurements all according to Goulet Pens website.

Here’s a photo with an Optima on the left and an 88 on the right (Internazionale in the middle) so you can compare them.

This is incredibly useful —thank you!

3 hours ago, Driften said:

My Optima and Talentum use the same nib units but I like writing with my Talentum better of the two.

I’ve been eyeballing the Talentum as well. What makes you prefer the Talentum? It’s slightly narrower than the Optima, no?

I

1 hour ago, sketchstack said:

I’ve been eyeballing the Talentum as well.

Moi aussi. For a couple of years now. My understanding is the grip is 10.2 for both. I too would like to hear what @Driften has to say. 😀

Add lightness and simplicate.

12 hours ago, Karmachanic said:

I

Moi aussi. For a couple of years now. My understanding is the grip is 10.2 for both. I too would like to hear what @Driften has to say. 😀

Both sections are 10.3-11.9. The main difference is length of the pens and the weight. The Talentum is longer and heavier. FYI Mine has the resin cap not the metal cap some Talentum have.

13 hours ago, sketchstack said:

I’ve been eyeballing the Talentum as well. What makes you prefer the Talentum? It’s slightly narrower than the Optima, no?

It's longer and heaver then the Optima. It's not narrower. Both have the same section size as well as both 14mm body. The Talentum is a C/C and not piston, but that also makes it easier to clean not that Ive had any issues cleaning the Optima.

On 2/22/2021 at 6:17 AM, MoriartyR said:

The Blue Internazionale is surely one of the prettiest pens Aurora has made in recent years! Your picture is of particular interest, showing that it is also the biggest of the models. Veeeery interesting, and very tempting.

Thank you.

Definitely one of the best (i just love my viola optima). However, wont say its the outright best for me personally as it is borderline too short for me (i don’t like posting if I can avoid it). My favorite right now is the Montegrappa MIA limited edition (i have sea at dusk and may add crhysocolla also) which feels like an extra minus the celluloid and metal grip, leo MZ grande/speranaza, and because I love Omas nibs (well, Omas everything, actually😀), i like the writing experience with scribo flex nibs also (the length and ergonomics is pleasing to me also)

I have two Optimas and one 88.  I prefer the 88 for writing over my Optimas - I think it is the length.  The Optimas are prettier, though.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star

15 hours ago, fpupulin said:

The Blue Internazionale is surely one of the prettiest pens Aurora has made in recent years! Your picture is of particular interest, showing that it is also the biggest of the models. Veeeery interesting, and very tempting.

Thank you.

Hi Franco. My Internazionales are still among my few favourite pens and are as enjoyable to write with as any pen I have. It is lightweight, the material feels warm and soft, the nibs on my three are all really perfect and seem like they are tuned with even more care than a regular Aurora (though I don’t know for sure). And of course the vintage style and floral metalwork are a little special. It doesn’t have the long section like the Optima/88 but I find it comfortable still.

If you like the style then I do recommend them. It seems that a lot of retailers are discounting this pen nowadays so if you shop around there are good deals. It is still an expensive pen, though.

The blue might be harder to find than the black or green, though, as it was the first release, but you can still get one.

• 1 month later...

I am seriously thinking about ordering one of the Optima Aeroloides. Up to now, I haven't really gone much beyond €150 when buying a pen (my most expensive pens are Platinum Century #3776s). But the Aeroloide Optimas look gorgeous to me, so I think one of them is going to be my first "really expensive" (for some definition of "expensive") pen.

I came here to ask about how they write and how functional they are, apart from being beautiful, but I think I already have found enough information in the thread. The consensus seems to be that they are great writers, pushing me more to buy one.

Any tip for someone who cannot easily see/test them physically, anything you found non-obvious until you held it in your hand, or that you found surprising? I'm torn between the green and the blue, both look equally nice to me in photos. Do pictures match reality, or are there some colors that you find to look better/worse in real life than in the photos?

@Kalikrates The Optima is one of the finest pens available in fit, finish, nib and ergonomics. Some features you should be aware of:

1) Size. The Optima is what I regard as "normal" in size. It is about the size of a Pelikan M600 or a "Large" Sailor 1911. It fits well in most shirt breast pockets. So, if you favor over-sized pens, the Optima will seem small. I don't have any Platinum Centurys, but my impression is they are the same size as a Sailor 1911L.

2) The nibs are known to have some tooth. If you prefer a glassy smooth nib, you may not like it. That said, Aurora gold nibs are splendid writers. I have used F, M and Stub nibs. The Italic nib is too crisp, unless you are a professional calligrapher, IMO. Aurora nibs customize well, too.

3) The nibs are screw-in, so they are very easy to swap (although loose nibs are expensive) and take out to clean.

4) The Optima piston has good capacity, turns very smoothly and seems to clean the barrel better than many pistons.

I don't have any of the stock colors except the black resin. I cannot comment on the fidelity of the photos you have seen.

Hope that helps. 

Happy writing!

David

What David said.

Beyond that, I actually like the 88 better.  I have 2 Optimas, but they do not write as well as the modern 88. (The 88 is a longer pen.)

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Sailor Profit "B" nib running Van Dieman's Night - Shooting Star