Damaged Lamy Nib

emshore

I recently bought a Lamy 2000 in the mail from an official dealer. The pen came with a extra-fine nib, and I asked them to change it for a fine. The pen always wrote a little scratchy, but I read that that is typical of Lamy 2000s. The scratchiness got worse, however, and I sent it in for repairs. Bob Nurin, the official Lamy repairman, wrote me back that the nib had experienced trauma and that one of the tines was bent. I am super careful with my pens, and it certainly didn't happen with me. Could such a thing have happened when the nib was changed? A new gold nib costs $100, which is not a small amount!

Thanks for your feedback!

Edited by emshore

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• emshore

• A Smug Dill

• Uncial

I have a Lamy 2000 EF that has gone out of alignment and become scratchy repeatedly. I made fingernail adjustments to realign the nib and smooth it and eventually it has written a bit wider. I asked about other Lamy nibs that would fit 2000 in this thread: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/355670-lamy-steel-nibs-that-will-fit-on-a-lamy-2000/

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

The pen always wrote a little scratchy, but I read that that is typical of Lamy 2000s.

Whilst finer nibs are naturally more prone to being scratchy than broader nibs, my EF L2k was perfect out the box. I've had it for several years and it writes beautifully.

Whilst finer nibs are naturally more prone to being scratchy than broader nibs, my EF L2k was perfect out the box. I've had it for several years and it writes beautifully.

My Lamy 2000 EF wrote beautifully also for a year or so, and I can't figure what happened to it. Now I have adjusted it back to EF, but it writes wetter. Some pens I have used fot thirty or even fifty years and still write great. This one a year. Go figure. I have read too many praises of the Lamy 2000 to think the pens are not wonderful. I wonder if sometimes you get a lemon.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• 2 weeks later...

My Lamy 2000 EF wrote beautifully also for a year or so, and I can't figure what happened to it. Now I have adjusted it back to EF, but it writes wetter. Some pens I have used fot thirty or even fifty years and still write great. This one a year. Go figure. I have read too many praises of the Lamy 2000 to think the pens are not wonderful. I wonder if sometimes you get a lemon.

I used to think I wanted a 2000, but the posts here provided pause.

In my inexperienced point of view, Ill remain with my Al Star and Vista being perfectly content. ;)

For me, the LAMY Al Star is the best LAMY has to offer.

Edited by Estycollector

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I have read too many praises of the Lamy 2000 to think the pens are not wonderful. I wonder if sometimes you get a lemon.

I'm sure there is inevitable variation from one unit to the next for any given product model. In spite of the praises — and I've been convinced by a fellow member and (formerly) prolific commenter on FPN to get one, nay, two in all — I haven't found my Lamy 2000 Bauhaus limited edition pen to be 'wonderful', and so my run-of-the-mill Makrolon version of it is just still unused and never inked in a box stashed somewhere at the back of a drawer. I hate to say this, but maybe the supposed acclaim is more about others' 'romanticism' about piston-fillers, or German manufacture, etc. I hold German manufacture in high esteem by default myself way above, say, anything made in China or USA; but I haven't found in it the level of precision and consistency I expected when it comes to fountain pens, at least not in comparison to pens from the Japanese 'Big Three' brands. That hasn't stopped me from buying numerous Rotring (4), Pelikan (≥10) and Lamy (≥10) fountain pens, but I certainly wouldn't pretend you'll get a 'wonderful' German pen on the balance of probabilities just by making a purchase, even if I still rank it a far safer bet than buying anything other than Japanese pens.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.