Airmail/wality 69 Family.

hari317

A wonderful post on the variants of the Airmail 69. I bought one to experiment with KW flex nibs few months ago. After using the pen for few days I’ve become a fan of this model. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• cvk

• HartGummi

• Dimy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

57 minutes ago, VijayGS said:

A wonderful post on the variants of the Airmail 69. I bought one to experiment with KW flex nibs few months ago. After using the pen for few days I’ve become a fan of this model. 

Which one did you get? 69T is the quintessential 69. 

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

8 hours ago, hari317 said:

Which one did you get? 69T is the quintessential 69. 

My first 69 was the LC but now I have the entire line up. The EB, LG, P, A were procured in the subsequent months and bought the T variant during my recent trip to Chennai 😊. I understood EB stands for ebonite, P for Piston, A for acrylic and T for transparent but still couldn’t figure out what the ‘L’ stands for in the LG and LC models. Could you please help me with that? 

23 minutes ago, VijayGS said:

My first 69 was the LC but now I have the entire line up. The EB, LG, P, A were procured in the subsequent months and bought the T variant during my recent trip to Chennai 😊. I understood EB stands for ebonite, P for Piston, A for acrylic and T for transparent but still couldn’t figure out what the ‘L’ stands for in the LG and LC models. Could you please help me with that? 

L is Long I think. 

G for Gold (Trims) and maybe C for Chrome. 

There is also TS (Transparent Small?) now. 

11 hours ago, cvk said:

L is Long I think. 

G for Gold (Trims) and maybe C for Chrome. 

There is also TS (Transparent Small?) now. 

Thank you so much and you are absolutely right! The LC is longer than the other variants by a few millimetres. 

• 2 weeks later...

Adding to the family my Wality 69A (Half acrylic, I guess) modded to fit the Jinhao 35mm Fine steel nib. If someone looking to buy 69A (Full acrylic, except section) it is currently available online here.

PXL_20221210_104050402.jpg

PXL_20221210_104100308.jpg

PXL_20221210_104109738.jpg

What mods were needed to use the Jinhao nib? Jinhao have really improved their nib offering. It used to be a medium-broad & that's your lot.

I know the nib is longer. How did you hide the extra length to get the cap on without damaging the tip?

Wipes screen free from drool after viewing the box of Wality acrylics.

Those were plain weird. As in 'what did I take last night' weird.

17 hours ago, Dip n Scratch said:

What mods were needed to use the Jinhao nib? Jinhao have really improved their nib offering. It used to be a medium-broad & that's your lot.

I know the nib is longer. How did you hide the extra length to get the cap on without damaging the tip?

Wipes screen free from drool after viewing the box of Wality acrylics.

Those were plain weird. As in 'what did I take last night' weird.

I scrapped the ebonite feed a little at the bottom to reduce the diameter uniformly. Then one can set the nib and feed deep inside the section. I think the clearance in the cap is about 18 to 20mm as suggested by the OP. On my Wality the nib is exposed to 19mm. And yes now you point it out the acrylics are weird. I have seen this style of Acrylics on Mohi pens as well.

Indian no 8 nibs are available from KW in F and M. They are drop in replacements for the Airmail nibs. Jinhao offers only F and M. Then what's the motivation to push in a longer nib deeper to yield the same result? I can understand if one wants wider than M or narrower than F. Thanks!

BTW that's a lovely 69A  

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

5 hours ago, hari317 said:

Indian no 8 nibs are available from KW in F and M. They are drop in replacements for the Airmail nibs. Jinhao offers only F and M. Then what's the motivation to push in a longer nib deeper to yield the same result? I can understand if one wants wider than M or narrower than F. Thanks!

BTW that's a lovely 69A  

The motivation was more aesthetic rather than line width. The 69A came with a No. 8 GP nib, which didn't went well with the overall look of the pen. Also I had a spare Jinhao 35mm chrome nib. Now that I am using this I am enjoying writing with the wider profile of the 35mm nib, rather than the narrower Indian No. 8 nib. So overall it is appealing to me more this way both aesthetically as well as writing experience wise. Anyways thank you for your wide variety of educational posts on Wality 69's and 71's. I have learned a lot, helping me to enjoy my pens a tad bit more.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 5:05 PM, het0314 said:

The motivation was more aesthetic rather than line width. The 69A came with a No. 8 GP nib, which didn't went well with the overall look of the pen. Also I had a spare Jinhao 35mm chrome nib. Now that I am using this I am enjoying writing with the wider profile of the 35mm nib, rather than the narrower Indian No. 8 nib. So overall it is appealing to me more this way both aesthetically as well as writing experience wise. Anyways thank you for your wide variety of educational posts on Wality 69's and 71's. I have learned a lot, helping me to enjoy my pens a tad bit more.

that's fair enough

• 2 months later...