Airmail/wality 69 Family.

hari317

Thanks for the link. I would think that those colors would still be marketable and I do like the design. Really appreciate the photos. They look better than if I was holding the pens in my own hand.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• cvk

• HartGummi

• Dimy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These look nice and as a dark color fan I personally love black beauty plus its simply rare for me to see a pure black wality, Thanks for sharing hari.

• 2 months later...
3 minutes ago, Yohaanrods said:

Inspired by hari sirs improvisation... I fitted a 35mm Asa M nib on my 69t (got it right on my first try) 

IMG_20201221_165246.jpg

Well done!

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

I am planning to do the same with noodlers no 6 nib. I am hoping that Noodlers no 6 nib is same as 35 mm. ( made by Kanwrite) has anyone tried that as well?

Yes if I remember correctly - it's been a pretty long while. But Noodler's no. 6 fit the same Wality, Asa, and Gama pens that I was also able to fit with Kanwrite or Ambitious 35mm nibs. In the Walitys it was a little harder to get them to fit such that the cap would still fit, but it was possible. (and you could always shave a little material off the feed.)

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

1. Is the cap band made of stainless steel or is it some plated material? My concern is that the plating will wear off.

2. How do you stop the feed from overflowing and burping? 

1 hour ago, HartGummi said:

1. Is the cap band made of stainless steel or is it some plated material? My concern is that the plating will wear off.

2. How do you stop the feed from overflowing and burping? 

Na its some plated material not stainless steel. It does not wear under normal use though, my first wality lasted 7 years without any coloring (it got lost somewhere during shifting....) The second wality so far showed no issue either, I do keep them in case but use regularly so they are out on table for entire day. Hari sirs pics of wality also don't show such issue so I think they should be fine.

Feed flow stop is a bit different, personally I don't stop the burping as such, any ED will burp when ink is at less then 20 or so percentage mark in barrel when writing long or even short in some case. I just refill the ink when I see first drop starting to show on nib or when line starts to get weird (easy to notice really, also after a while it gets understood at when ink will go if using daily).

One thing I have seen is that the type of ink does matter at, when will there be burping, a wet ink will give burp faster while dry ink might give few extra pages, not much difference seen but its worth noting. Nib matters a bit as well but again not by much, eventually at 20 or so percentage it will start to show the signs.

Hope it helps.

PS if you are facing such issue, try resetting the feed and nib, happened in my case with first wality, its very simple friction fit and really easy to work with.

1 hour ago, Dimy said:

any ED will burp when ink is at less then 20 or so percentage mark in barrel when writing long or even short in some case.

I thought modern nib units like the ones made by JoWo/Bock prevented it. 

1. What if one could fit a very long feed with lots of fins, e.g. feed from a Sheaffer NN? Kanwrite sells ebonite feeds for #35 nibs. Have you tried fitting one of their nibs along with their feed into a Wality?

2. Do you have a Wality 71JT? Is the wide cap band on that thing of a similar construction? 

I have Shaeffer feeds to go in my Wality pens. I am not using any at present.

I have two Wality pens inked at present: A 70TG that has a Pilot (Japanese F) nib and a 71JT.

The 71 keeps the OE nib after a polish and replacement feed.

The OE feed was not passing any ink. The cut was very shallow.

I guess that it is a good idea to replenish the ink at the 50% level to be sure. But climate and the particular ink make the burp point vary.

23 minutes ago, HartGummi said:

I thought modern nib units like the ones made by JoWo/Bock prevented it. 

1. What if one could fit a very long feed with lots of fins, e.g. feed from a Sheaffer NN? Kanwrite sells ebonite feeds for #35 nibs. Have you tried fitting one of their nibs along with their feed into a Wality?

2. Do you have a Wality 71JT? Is the wide cap band on that thing of a similar construction? 

ASA pens did one special feed for Maya ED version, they had something inside the barrel with fin design, that helped in prevention of burp, from what I know it worked from what I know.

This review Here has shown the example, such design, should help more with burps. Have not tried it but it might prevent the burp (fingers crossed).

Longer feeds will definitely help and same for extra fin design, but honestly, there will be a tipping point eventually, especially in winters and cold environment, its just a matter of when and at which level.

PS my wality is inked and has decent amount of ink left so it will take a week or so, but I will post the pics of both Kanwrite heritage ebonite feed and wality feed as sode by side comparison, spoiler alert there is not much difference in size to actually impact much, they are finned though so that has some advantage.

1 hour ago, Dimy said:

but I will post the pics of both Kanwrite heritage ebonite feed and wality feed as sode by side comparison

I saw one of your posts which showed Kanwrite's ebonite feed. Maya's ebonite feed looks almost identical.

Now I will buy a Wality and swap the feed. Luckily Kanwrite sells ebonite feeds separately.

1 hour ago, Dimy said:

but honestly, there will be a tipping point eventually, especially in winters and cold environment, its just a matter of when and at which level.

Then I will have a feed half as long as the barrel fitted into my pen.😝 It will definitely prevent burping.

The weather plays a big role in burping.

In India, in most places its usually warm outside and either air-conditioned inside or the same temperature as outside. So the air inside the pen is already expanded and released out the nib and hand heat is not going to impact it much. Burping is not an issue unless you live in a cold area and hand heat will warm the pen significantly.

Now if your pen burps even under warm Indian conditions, look for:

• Loose fitting feeder in section(annular spaces visible when inspected dry against a strong light)(Remedy: install an oversize feeder or simply return the pen, it's a poor product)
  • Ill fitting section to barrel joint (Remedy: Silicone grease, candle wax, RCP on the threads etc)

an old thread on this subject:

Hope this helps

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Empty the pen of ink. The nib needs to be re-set to the feed.

This means dipping just the nib and feed into boiling water for a minute or so.

Remove the nib and immediately grip the nib to the feeder tightly.

A few moments of pain from the hot materials will bring great gain as the pen will hopefully function normally.

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2020 at 11:08 PM, hari317 said:

The Airmail/ WALITY 69 model has been made in various avatars. Here are some from my collection.

fpn_1600581477__6032d2df-7613-4e8e-b5d3-

fpn_1600581549__90411cfb-1f0c-4d28-9d86-

fpn_1600581635__994c71d7-0446-4ed9-89c1-

L-R: 69TL new style, 69TL old style, 69LGM, 69EB, 69A, 69P Black beauty, 69P.

The last two models are piston fillers.

Cheers,

Hari

Based on this post, I got a Wality 69T and love it very much. I also want to try out an ebonite pen like 69EB. However, I unlike the 69T, since I cannot see the ink level all the time, I am afraid of burps. So I am thinking of getting a CC model. I came across Click's Ebonite pen with C/C system and ASA Daily and Patriot (Cigar shaped, rounded ends) as potential options. Are there any other options that would you recommend around the same range? Are the concerns about 69EB valid ?

An Ed pen will usually warn before a burp. The warning will be like a slight increase in flow first and ink pooling in the feed notches. No other pen can be a 69EB. So if you want a EB this is the only choice. 

3 hours ago, hari317 said:

An Ed pen will usually warn before a burp. The warning will be like a slight increase in flow first and ink pooling in the feed notches. No other pen can be a 69EB. So if you want a EB this is the only choice. 

Sure. Thanks !! 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼😇

The Wality pens will get pretty low before they burp in England at this time of the year, but in a climate like that of India it would be unwise to run the ink down too far. The pen would be experiencing a far wider variation in temperature.

Use the 69T and see how many sides of A4 would drop the level to 75% or 50% full. Then the same applies to the 69EB.

I don't know at what point a Wality 69 would be likely to burp in India with its temperature swing.