Conway Stewart New Nibs

AJ50

I’m told that Bespoke British Pens are now selling their pens with a new Conway Stewart nib as opposed to their flag nib. Has anyone any experience with these new nibs? I’m told that their Flag nibs were great to use, but they were boring to look at - in my opinion. So I’m hoping the new Conway Stewart branded nibs are going to be great looking as well as great to use. Has anyone used one of these nibs yet?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AJ50

• WhiteStarPens

• collectorofmanythings

• encremental

That's good news.

Nice as the Flag nib might be to use, for me it turned the pen into a very expensive Frankenpen, and I could never seriously consider one. Exciting colourful resins are more easily available now, and cruel though it might sound, Bespoke British Pens need to do more than trade on a heap of old spare parts to get my attention.

Having the correct nib makes them that much more interesting.

John

Edited by encremental

I recently purchased a Conway Stewart Churchill from Bespoke British Pens and opted for one of the new Conway Stewart nibs. Its an option and you need to request the nib. Mine is an all gold version of the one shown above and in my opinion it looks great. As for how it writes............it is a delight to write with, it is smooth and writes first time every time with no startup issues.

This is so much better! I prefer this new version with the breather hole, and tone-tone is nice too! Thank you for posting.

The attached image shows one of the new nibs. I think they look far better than the Flag nibs. Has anyone used one yet?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I’m very close to pushing the button on a Winston now that the (boring) flag nib is gone, but I am hoping for more reviews of the newer "Conway Stewart" logo nibs, especially the fine. I take it these are more of a Western fine point, like a Montblanc in width.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a modern Duro in Marine Blue. Definitely a JoWo nib. Exactly the same as you would find on an Edison 18k. Smooth with a touch of feedback. I love it so much! I highly recommend it. 

On 12/21/2020 at 4:50 PM, markofp said:

I’m very close to pushing the button on a Winston now that the (boring) flag nib is gone, but I am hoping for more reviews of the newer "Conway Stewart" logo nibs, especially the fine. I take it these are more of a Western fine point, like a Montblanc in width.

I have a fine! It’s great. For a writing sample, just google “JoWo 18k gold nib fine writing sample” or look at Goulet’s Nib Nook for their JoWo 18k fine. I highly recommend it.

The good thing about the Conway Stewart Winston is that it takes a standard Bock No. 6 nib. I put my original C/S nib (ugly flag) into storage and have purchased replacements from both Bock and also from Leonardo, who incidentally also use Bock No.6 nibs on their Momento Zero pen.

I suspect Leonardo requests a superior finish when buying their nibs from Bock (or perhaps touch them up in-house), since the difference between the Leonardo and the standard Bock nib is noticeable.

Anyway (long story short) with a Winston, the nibs change over easily with no mods and you can have a lot of fun experimenting, since the No. 6 is offered in a huge variety of tip styles

• 7 months later...

A friend of mine has a Conway Stewart Plymouth Pigrims  (a limited edition pen, probably based on the Churchill model), and sadly, has snapped the feed in half while cleaning it.

Can anyone here confirm whether he can swap the housing and feed with a Bock 250 assembly on that pen (keeping the nib, of course...)?

Thanks

16 hours ago, GeoffMartin said:

A friend of mine has a Conway Stewart Plymouth Pigrims  (a limited edition pen, probably based on the Churchill model), and sadly, has snapped the feed in half while cleaning it.

Can anyone here confirm whether he can swap the housing and feed with a Bock 250 assembly on that pen (keeping the nib, of course...)?

Thanks

I can't confirm but I can offer an opinion. I have read several times that they used bock assemblies and looking at the nibs etc themselves they certainly look like the other bocks I own. 

I would suggest erring on the side of caution, comparing the assemblies before making a purchase. That being said, I'm reasonably confident that bock haven't changed their assemblies to such a degree that such an installation wouldn't work.

I would also dissuade the removal of nibs and feeds too often as this will inevitably cause undue wear. Personally I would fill the pen with water, place some paper towel at the bottom of a glass and stand the pen nib down on the paper to let capillary action pull out any encrusted ink over night. Nib flush would do the trick if the ink residue is really bad. If the pen is being used regularly and the flow remains adequate, I would think that the regular repetition of the filling procedure every so often would be more than enough to facilitate a thorough cleaning, as there's a near constant flow of liquid moving through the pen. In other words, prevention is better than cure.

Hopefully this will be of some use, do let us know the outcome!

W.S.P

• 3 weeks later...

I have a series 100 on order with them now with the new 18ct Conway Stewart marked nib and I plan to do a review when it is finally in my possession.

15 hours ago, toml4185 said:

I have a series 100 on order with them now with the new 18ct Conway Stewart marked nib and I plan to do a review when it is finally in my possession.

That's marvelous, I've got a 58 due any day now. I'll be very interested to read of your experience.

W.S.P

• 5 months later...

I have several of the "older" CS pens / nibs (early 200-ish) as well as 3 of the new BBP ones (a medium, a med stub with the flag, and a broad).  The nibs are Bock, as far as I know.  The flag and the CS nibs are exactly the same, just with a different engraving.  I much prefer the new BBP nibs, both for appearance and performance, not that the old ones were bad.  The new ones are a bit bigger, and IMHO less prone to slow start-up.  

I found the medium to be on the fine side, almost like a Japanese (e.g. Pilot) medium, or a 1950s Parker 51 medium.  It is definitely into fine size for e.g. a modern-day Duofold Centennial.  But very nice.  Smooth, starts immediately.  Controlled but wet-enough flow.  The med stub is fabulous, well worth the extra price.  So much so, my wife wanted one too, so I have ordered a Series 58 Nebula with a med stub for her (not yet arrived).  The broad is also lovely, very smooth, and a bit wetter (clearly one can adjust the flow if need be).  Like the medium, I find it a bit narrower than the "usual" European pens of today.  It is maybe just a hair broader than a Duofold medium, and maybe just a hair broader than a Pelikan fine.  If you can put "Pelikan" and "fine" into the same sentence.

And the other feature I like is that the nib units are easily interchanged among pens of the same size range, and you can buy the nib units separately, so it's highly economical.  Everyone should get at least 2.