Two Pelikan Pens In Two Shipments

Tom Kellie

Two Pelikan Pens In Two Shipments From Fritz Schimpf

~ In the closing months of 2019, there were productive discussions with Fritz Schimpf stationers, in Tübingen, Germany, about possible future acquisitions.

Fritz Schimpf is celebrating their 140th anniversary in 2020. It’s located in a historic university town in Baden-Württemberg, which is in the Swabian heartland of southwestern Germany.

Throughout 2019 my writing desk was enriched by Pelikan fountains, inks from both Fritz Schimpf itself and L’Artisan Pastellier, as well as the superb Fritz Schimpf Feinpost writing paper.

Accordingly, in late November, 2019 an order was placed for a variety of writing tools. It was shipped to a trusted friend and former student, now working in neighboring Hong Kong.

Events cascaded such that the shipment was delayed, for which Fritz Schimpf was not at all responsible. The border between Hong Kong and Shenzhen was effectively sealed, severely impacting trans-border shipments.

Another, follow-up order was placed in early 2020, as a token of support for Fritz Schimpf and as an expression of hope that circumstances might become more favorable.

As it turned out, both shipments were safely stored for well over half a year in the Hong Kong residence of my friend.

Thanks to the good offices of one of my students, who owns and operates several large-scale import-export companies, the shipments were brought across the border in late August, 2020.

After several weeks of protracted wrangling with the customs officials, they were released and delivered to me this past weekend.

Everything was in excellent condition, despite the months of storage. After handling the contents, it was certain that the precious cargo was well worth the long wait.

Profuse appreciation is due to Fritz Schimpf, to my patient friend in Hong Kong, and to my generous student.

There are several Montblanc inks, including a second bottle of Swan Illusion. I’d requested Modena Red, but as it was unavailable at the time of shipping, Fritz Schimpf thoughtfully added a bottle of Corn Poppy.

Two inks released by Fritz Schimpf in 2020 to celebrate their 140th anniversary are welcome additions to my writing desk.

Crafted by Didier of L’Artisan Pastellier, niebla [ misty violet ] and gelassenheit [ relaxed purple ] are both outstanding. Writing with niebla is a particularly satisfying experience as it’s an exquisite ink.

Four more hues of L’Artisan Pastellier Callifolio ink were added to the many bottles already on hand. I’m a regular user of the Callifolio line of inks.

Finally there are one dozen bottle of Encre Parfumée, scented ink, also from L’Artisan Pastellier. The refined fragrance in each bottle is a welcome olfactory treat.

As ever the superlative Fritz Schimpf Feinpost paper is the bedrock of the shipments. For my sketching and writing, it’s the finest quality paper that I’ve had the pleasure to use.

There were two Pelikan fountain pens, for both of which an EF nib was specified. At the time of ordering, it was clear that my work would require regular use of EF nibs.

A Pelikan Classic M200 Black fountain pen with a gold-plated steel EF nib is a particularly engaging writer. The line it produces is close to that of an EEF nib.

A Pelikan Classic Special Edition Pastel Green fountain pen with a bi-color gold EF nib is a smooth writer. The pen’s color is ideal for use outdoors for field notes or sketching.

Following is an image series showing the arrival and unpacking of the two shipments, as well as writing samples from the two Pelikan pens, inked with the 2020 Fritz Schimpf inks.

There is no urgency needed for attaining a high quality writing experience. These shipments arriving in mid-September bring immense pleasure in the waning weeks of Summer.

I hope that these images may be of interest to others.

Tom K.

fpn_1600010346__delivery_of_two_shipment

Delivery of Two Shipments

fpn_1600010487__two_shipments_two_boxes.

Two Shipments, Two Boxes

fpn_1600010583__carefully_packed.jpg

Carefully Packed

fpn_1600010668__initial_unpacking.jpg

Initial Unpacking

fpn_1600010785__windfall.jpg

Windfall

fpn_1600010884__two_shipments_on_a_table

Two Shipments On a Table

fpn_1600011007__bringing_home_two_shipme

Bringing Home Two Shipments

fpn_1600011149__feinpost_writing_paper.j

Feinpost Writing Paper

fpn_1600011248__wrapped_pelikan_pen_boxe

Wrapped Pelikan Pen Boxes

fpn_1600011819__wrapped_montblanc_inks.j

Wrapped Montblanc Inks

fpn_1600011997__bottled_inks.jpg

Bottled Inks

fpn_1600012485__montblanc_ink_quartet.jp

Montblanc Ink Quartet

fpn_1600012847__2020_fritz_schimpf_inks.

2020 Fritz Schimpf Inks

fpn_1600012942__encre_parfume.jpg

Encre Parfumée

fpn_1600013083__lartisan_pastellier_call

L’Artisan Pastellier Callifolio Quartet

fpn_1600013214__gift_box.jpg

Gift Box

fpn_1600013378__nestling.jpg

Nestling

fpn_1600013575__see-through.jpg

See-Through

fpn_1600013762__pelikan_classic_m200_bla

Pelikan Classic M200 Black EF

fpn_1600014587__gold-plated_steel_ef_nib

Gold-plated Steel EF Nib

fpn_1600014739__treasure_within.jpg

Treasure Within

fpn_1600014980__green.jpg

Green!

fpn_1600015281__it_might_as_well_be_spri

It Might As Well Be Spring

fpn_1600015574__for_all_to_see.jpg

For All To See

fpn_1600016359__gleaming_and_uninked.jpg

Gleaming and Uninked

fpn_1600016582__pelikan_classic_m200_spe

Pelikan Classic M200 Special Edition Pastel Green EF

fpn_1600016794__bi-color_gold_ef_nib.jpg

Bi-color Gold EF Nib

fpn_1600017023__niebla_note.jpg

fpn_1600017148__gelassenheit_note.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom Kellie

• mana

• Barutti

• peroride

Wow. You must have had quite a time with all those inks trying to decide which to inaugurate those two new pens.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

lovely report, Tom! I was there with you in trepidation as you opened the parcels! :)

I love the black one with the green window, I own one of those myself...

Thats charming - the M200 is such a basic model among your collection!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 2 weeks later...

What a shipment! Enjoy! I would suggest shaking Équinoxe 6 really well and resetting your expectations, from what you might have seen... It could be something very different.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell