Old Style Pelikan M800 With Gold Plate

doublechocolate

Hello everyone,

I was browsing the internet last night searching for some old style Pelikans. This particular one caught my eye that I'd like to have some opinions from you.

New PELIKAN M800 W.GERMANY

This pen looks authentic to me and it's in excellent condition according to the pictures attached to the listing.

I have couple of late 80's Pelikan M600 acquired from reputable sellers. Comparing to my very limited experience with ebay, there are a couple of things that make me suspicious of this pen.

It's listed as a "private listing". I haven't had any experience with such private sells. The seller's rating is 99.2% which is not bad. I tried to get an idea how many pens have been sold through this seller but couldn't get any information. All items sold by this seller were "private listings" - it seems very strange to me.

The seller is registered as a business seller. The information of the business is incomplete, for instance, the business address has street number but no street name.

I don't know if I should walk away from this "private listing" but the pictures of the pen looks very attractive unless they got stolen from somewhere.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• doublechocolate

• Bo Bo Olson

• Barutti

• sansenri

If I were you I would probably send him a message and ask to clarify my doubts, the seller rating as I see it is 99.7% which is considerably better than 99.2%, and has almost 500 positive reviews in the last year, I doubt they could be fake.

The current price has almost reached $300 but there are already 18 bids and 2 days to go (anything can happen in those 2 days...)

Your worries seem excessive to walk away, but do ask him.

Hello,

Pen looks very attractive. According photos and information, M800 from 1990/1991 in mint condition. I just don't understand why mentioned M600 nib in description.

I agree with sansenri, that best way is to ask directly seller. By the way, according ebay rules, buyer can return the item due the various reasons and get full refund.

If I were you I would probably send him a message and ask to clarify my doubts, the seller rating as I see it is 99.7% which is considerably better than 99.2%, and has almost 500 positive reviews in the last year, I doubt they could be fake.

The current price has almost reached $300 but there are already 18 bids and 2 days to go (anything can happen in those 2 days...)

Your worries seem excessive to walk away, but do ask him.

Thank you for your opinion. I guess my mind is filled with conceivable possibilities that I've heard before. Besides, I couldn't understand why hide what you've sold if you have nothing to hide. I will ask the seller but may not able to get the answer that I want.

Hello,

Pen looks very attractive. According photos and information, M800 from 1990/1991 in mint condition. I just don't understand why mentioned M600 nib in description.

I agree with sansenri, that best way is to ask directly seller. By the way, according ebay rules, buyer can return the item due the various reasons and get full refund.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. The seller does provide 14 days return. I guess the reason that M600 is mentioned in the listing is the size of old M800 is similar to modern M600?

Nope. Old (and new) M800 was and are the same length- 141 mm. capped. M600 old style are the same length as M400 (old and new) - 125 mm.

My advice to ask seller- may be the M600 nib is installed into listed pen.

Wishes, Giedrius

Nope. Old (and new) M800 was and are the same length- 141 mm. capped. M600 old style are the same length as M400 (old and new) - 125 mm.

My advice to ask seller- may be the M600 nib is installed into listed pen.

Wishes, Giedrius

Thanks for pointing this out. It looks like I need to do a little homework before taking the plunge.

From what I read the 400/600 nib don't fit the 800.

If it says W.Germany get it...............and if it is a '91-92, get it, it will have almost as grand a regular flex nib as the W.Germany one.............if no one has swapped out the 800's great regular flex nib for a modern nail nib.

I trans-mailed a W.Germany 800 so got to play with it for a couple days...great nib***............that one I'd buy modern not at all. I would also buy a pre '98.

***The year before last I got a W.Germany 200 and last year a W.Germany 600...........great regular flex nibs that slight tad more springy than the to '98 Germany nibs. .............one does have to have both to hand to feel the difference.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

W.Germany would be '87? 88-90. That nib is a tad more springy regular flex of the '90-97 era. Just like the 400/600 or the 200 of that era. Just a slight tad more springy than the later '90-97 regular flex nibs.

Then in '90-91-97 the band marking is Germany. Those nibs write with a real clean line, and are a very nice ride.

I have a W.Germany 200 and 600. I did get to play with a W.Germany 800 for three days in I was trans-mailing it to Spain, in there are fools in Germany who will not mail outside of Germany.

The nib impressed me.

Back then an 800 was too large for me........or I might have done something unusual for me and saved for it.

Today, I'd buy a W.Germany in a minute, and a '91-97 if I got a good price.

I'd never buy the 'post '97 nail 800.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.