Airmail 58C

hari317

Sharing some pics of my 58C. This is a students model and immensely popular in interior Maharashtra. Perhaps more popular than the bigger 71J. A Schmidt upgrade made the pen even more sweet.

fpn_1599717612__2a036b17-ec0e-472a-acb0-

fpn_1599717684__f6e43322-6e4f-4d37-a248-

fpn_1599717869__7a64d76d-15b4-43b6-b8a3-

fpn_1599717923__a60b026d-0bf8-4749-8c02-

Compared to the 71J.

fpn_1599724212__4379a9d5-ac25-4dc0-b544-

fpn_1599724258__7f1b0e2d-ed10-4689-927b-

Decided to post this since not many people know about this model.

Cheers

Hari

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• cvk

• Savit

• Dimy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had a 58C that sported a Japanese Pilot F nib. The nib is still around on a Airmail 69TS. The Wality nibs can be worked on with the micromesh to be smoother in use. But a straight swap is easier.

I had a 58C that sported a Japanese Pilot F nib. The nib is still around on a Airmail 69TS. The Wality nibs can be worked on with the micromesh to be smoother in use. But a straight swap is easier.

whichPilot model's nib? NSF?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Wow. This blue wality looks great. I saw one from kiwipens having kanwrite nib and converter.

Ok. You can see one here with a JoWo no 6 nib unit made way back in 2014. https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/247167-airmail-wality-71jb-in-solid-colors/?p=3012456

Amazing. Although i would be scared to try it. I do want to try kanwrite nibs on this

Kanwrite 5.5 is a straight exchange for the stock airmail nib on 69TS and 58C etc. Similarly KW no 8 is a straight exchange for the stock nibs on 69TL , 69A , 71J , 71JT , 71JB etc. The last three will also accept the KW no 35 nib.

The advantage of using a Schmidt system is the nicely finned feeder. It prevents burping even at very low ink levels.

Kanwrite 5.5 is a straight exchange for the stock airmail nib on 69TS and 58C etc. Similarly KW no 8 is a straight exchange for the stock nibs on 69TL , 69A , 71J , 71JT , 71JB etc. The last three will also accept the KW no 35 nib.

The advantage of using a Schmidt system is the nicely finned feeder. It prevents burping even at very low ink levels.

Amazing. I have just placed order for my first 69tl from asa pens. If i want to use schmidt or jowo system, what do i need to do ( i dont think i can add threads to the section like you did). Is it like placing the nib unit inside?

Amazing. I have just placed order for my first 69tl from asa pens. If i want to use schmidt or jowo system, what do i need to do ( i dont think i can add threads to the section like you did). Is it like placing the nib unit inside?

you have to drill out the bore and cut threads.

Wow. This blue wality looks great. I saw one from kiwipens having kanwrite nib and converter.

I checked it out. apparently it's an extra section in black color.

Nice pens, Hari... Excellent innovative work, modifying these pens and upgrading them... I notice that many of your previous posts also show nib-upgradation with European nib units on Indian-made pens... Are the barrels long enough / wide enough to fit cartridges to the nib units?

In your pics, the light-blue marbled shade of 71J is attractive..

What is the quality of plastic material in these non-acrylic models of Wality pens - do they feel sturdy in hand? [i assume they must be, if they are worthy of nib-upgradation]

ASA and penhouse.in has stock of some wality pens and I may end up buying some.. :)

I saw in Kanwrite catalogue that they provide nib housing units. Have you used them? How do they compare with European nib units?

Thanks....

Nice pens, Hari... Excellent innovative work, modifying these pens and upgrading them... I notice that many of your previous posts also show nib-upgradation with European nib units on Indian-made pens... Are the barrels long enough / wide enough to fit cartridges to the nib units?

In your pics, the light-blue marbled shade of 71J is attractive..

What is the quality of plastic material in these non-acrylic models of Wality pens - do they feel sturdy in hand? [i assume they must be, if they are worthy of nib-upgradation]

ASA and penhouse.in has stock of some wality pens and I may end up buying some.. :)

I saw in Kanwrite catalogue that they provide nib housing units. Have you used them? How do they compare with European nib units?

Thanks....

Some models have space for a converter like the 71JB, 71J. The transparent barrel ones dont have enough diameter even for a cartridge so you have only the ED option. The marbled plastic is really good and these are inexpensive pens. Each marbled pen is unique and colors do vary. They made some very nice colors that ard no longer seen. Coupled with a good nib like even a simple nib swap totally transforms these pens.

KW nib units I have not used. I am happy with their bare nibs for the price. AFAIK they make three versions JoWo copy housing, Bock copy Housing and a third ED ONLY housing. The third one has an ebonite feed.

Edited by hari317

Some models have space for a converter like the 71JB, 71J. The transparent barrel ones dont have enough diameter even for a cartridge so you have only the ED option. The marbled plastic is really good and these are inexpensive pens. Each marbled pen is unique and colors do vary. They made some very nice colors that ard no longer seen. Coupled with a good nib like even a simple nib swap totally transforms these pens.

KW nib units I have not used. I am happy with their bare nibs for the price. AFAIK they make three versions JoWo copy housing, Bock copy Housing and a third ED ONLY housing. The third one has an ebonite feed.

Since you have used European nibs like Jowo and Bock and a variety of Indian-made nibs, how do you compare them with top-tier Indian-made nibs as far as writing experience goes ?

Since you have used European nibs like Jowo and Bock and a variety of Indian-made nibs, how do you compare them with top-tier Indian-made nibs as far as writing experience goes ?

I feel they are quite comparable writing wise when mounted on Indian ebonite feeds. Now fit finish, maintaining contour of nib surface after stamping, Uniformity of gold plating, how straight and symmetrically the slit bisects the nib decoration, these aspects will need attention. This is my personal opinion, opinion varies.

Thanks....

I have some experience in this regard, nib housing acts pretty much same as the stock kanwrite nib and feed, they sent me a heritage housing and from looks of it, it should fit in desire models just fine (have not tried yet but it should from looks of it). They have advantage over only nib and feed that one can change them on the fly (say you are on move and something happens) and very thorough cleaning when switching from permanent ink to non-permanent ink can be avoided for nib and feed section (my primary use of them) plus good for those who don't want to play around with nibs and feed or are not confident enough to do so (hardly a point for us here but worth noting for many).

Other then that its no different then stock nib and feed pair and inferior in some (price for one and flexibility for other). They too can be disassembled (spare ebonite feeds anyone ;) )

EDIT: it wont fit tried and housing for heritage is bit wider then that of desire.

Edited by Dimy

...they sent me a heritage housing and from looks of it, it should fit in desire models just fine (have not tried yet but it should from looks of it). ...

Can you pls post a clear side by side pic of the Desire housing and the Heritage housing? thanks!

Can you pls post a clear side by side pic of the Desire housing and the Heritage housing? thanks!

Here are some pics, Back end is coming all black so just a detail, heritage housing wont fit converter or cartridge as there is no mount just a hole while desire will fit standard international. Also both are different I tried to fit heritage housing in desire ones and it wont fit..too wide (looked same earlier mistake on my part there).

Finned and wide feed is heritage, both have same nib (no 6 or 35mm).

IMG_20200918_082425.jpg

IMG_20200918_082552.jpg

IMG_20200918_082629.jpg

IMG_20200918_082733.jpg

IMG_20200918_082943.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi Hari sir.... Thanks for the post... It is amazing.... Just wanted to ask if you have tried other nibs on the 58c..and if possible please do share pics! 

Thanks again :)) 

2 minutes ago, Yohaanrods said:

Hi Hari sir.... Thanks for the post... It is amazing.... Just wanted to ask if you have tried other nibs on the 58c..and if possible please do share pics! 

Thanks again :)) 

You're welcome! I have not tried with other nibs, but the 58C uses an Indian no 5.5 nib. so any 5.5 from Ambitious or KW should fit well. HTH