• christof

• carola

• Beechwood

• Switala

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

50652527607_78ddf5e41d_o.jpg

Got pen!

here are some  photos of my newest, the Goldfink CusTom #38, a custom made pen, made by Tom Westerich:

51054764007_1f082b2c63_k.jpg

I assume that Tom choosed the nr.38 because the pen has the same dimensions and a similar shape as a Montblacn 138:

48006895541_2bb49c79a7_k.jpg

The CusTom is made of cumberland ebonite and has a piston filler developped by Tom himself. 
He also choosed this nice Montblanc 146 nib from the 50's and the original Montblanc Papyrus clip.

51054763967_fa0b45ba7d_k.jpg

Unfortunately, the nib and I didn't get along, so I just swapped it out for another vintage No. 6 nib that fits my writing habits much better:

51059017601_c790f97af2_k.jpg

For now, the pen is with me all the time for testing:

51063050813_44f334ce6f_k.jpg

It works flawlessly and has some nice design features too:

51053954768_74dfb74d6a_k.jpg

All in all, I can only recommend Toms high end craftmanship! This pen is really very well made, elegant and practical to use. Just great!

C.

Amazing pictures!! I have a likely obvious question -- how do people pose pens? I can't stop them from moving out of place. Whenever I try to do the classic "pen balanced on cap" shot, the pen inevitably falls off. When I try to take pictures of a bunch of nibs, they all roll over until the clip is on the table. Are you all using stands? Or just better dexterity?

I feel like I could take better pictures describing specific pens if I could just get them to stay in one spot! And it makes taking pictures of clips impossible unless I'm using my hand to hold the pen in place.

Thanks!!

I see a lot of folks on eBay using pen stands to pose their pens, which sometimes makes it hard to see some details (which may be intended in some cases). 

For myself, I have used a small bit of scotch tape folded over on itself, small enough to fit under the pen so it isn't visible. It doesn't take much to keep a pen from rolling. I don't think there's enough adhesive there to leave a residue on the pen, but I'm sure there are better solutions, which I hope to find out here. 

On 3/4/2021 at 7:22 AM, carola said:

@ inkstainedruth: A matryoshka set of cats and you didn't buy it and send it over to me?

Oh my....

Sorry, but if I had bought it it wouldn't have gone ANYWHERE except the built-in china cabinet/display case in my dining room, next to the glass unicorns and the glass pelican and a small glass "Rudolf" Christmas ornament that was a gift from my best friend in high school.

Of course, this discussion is now leading me to wonder what ever happened to the matryoshka set I bought in a GUM (department store for foreign tourists) in Moscow in the 1970s.... :huh: Not anything cool like the cats one, just a basic set similar to the one in Christof's photo.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

26 minutes ago, inkstainedruth said:

Sorry, but if I had bought it it wouldn't have gone ANYWHERE except the built-in china cabinet/display case in my dining room, next to the glass unicorns and the glass pelican and a small glass "Rudolf" Christmas ornament that was a gift from my best friend in high school.

Of course, this discussion is now leading me to wonder what ever happened to the matryoshka set I bought in a GUM (department store for foreign tourists) in Moscow in the 1970s.... :huh: Not anything cool like the cats one, just a basic set similar to the one in Christof's photo.  

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

Well, my matryoshka set from the 1970s sits comfortably in the big book case in my living room. And it would of course have welcomed the cat set.

6 hours ago, christof said:

someone on another forum left the followin comment to these photos :

"before the party - after the party"

51060081647_f5e4686af6_k.jpg

51060000351_12d7d8d815_k.jpg

...quite a clever comment I think!

It is! 😂

10 minutes ago, christof said:

51078355287_58c93af568_k.jpg

51010475825_a67b0fff84_k.jpg

Very nice. I know it is not always easy to do something transparent/translucent against a white background.

After almost 13 years of membership and 2752 posts I have to realize that FPN and I have grown apart. I find hardly contributions which I am interested in and on the other hand I feel hardly interest of the members in my contributions.

In addition, FPN has changed a lot. I can hardly find my way around and I must say that the site has become very unwieldy.

This is a screen shot when I open the home page of FPN on my computer:

51000752324_a4b7fd9dea_h.jpg

and this is how it looks on my smartphone:

51082222873_1ea69387b4_b.jpg

This is not fun anymore to me and is only one of the reasons why I will take a break from FPN for the time being. I wish all members who read this all the best and maybe we will meet again another time at another place.

Christof

Normally, I tolerate ads and appreciate the time and trouble of the board owner.  However, monetization can be taken too far and FPN is unusable without an ad blocker.  Too bad.

As to responses, I just hope people enjoy my photos and I don't expect (or get) replies  I am sure lots of members like your photos as much as I do.  Let us know where you end up.

On 3/23/2021 at 8:22 PM, Paul-in-SF said:

I see a lot of folks on eBay using pen stands to pose their pens, which sometimes makes it hard to see some details (which may be intended in some cases). 

For myself, I have used a small bit of scotch tape folded over on itself, small enough to fit under the pen so it isn't visible. It doesn't take much to keep a pen from rolling. I don't think there's enough adhesive there to leave a residue on the pen, but I'm sure there are better solutions, which I hope to find out here. 

I used white Lego parts to create a pen stand for my daily inked pens, then use Lego to pose items as well. I find "blue tack" and/or soft erasers a pain in the neck as they leave behind tiny blobs that have to be tacked up. 

The Bauhaus - form follows function without further embellishment; primary colors are always welcome ...

My collection snapshot