• christof

• carola

• Beechwood

• Paul-in-SF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Oooooooooooh yes... Beautiful!

I´ve got the black striped one myself (including a matching converter) and I simply love this pen.

Are the stripes in the Platinum pocket pen incised into the metal and then filled in with black (lacquer, I presume)? Or are they applied on the surface? I'm curious how the quality/workmanship of the stripes compare with the ones on the Pilot Myu that you posted a few days ago. 

On 2/23/2021 at 11:39 PM, christof said:

50975510086_5535d50618_k.jpg

What nib do you use in your cp1? The standard steel or an upgrade?

Design ist fein.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

On 2/12/2021 at 4:46 AM, christof said:

50935122541_de4a352dd4_k.jpg

new to the family.

"He must take after father's side of the family...." :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.  I just got a French Blue Safari myself (not NOS, but in pretty decent shape -- and way cheaper than the NOS ones on the Bay of Evil are....).  And than last week I was in an antiques mall and was really tempted by a matryoshka set that was cats (but talked myself out of the purchase).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

11 hours ago, Paul-in-SF said:

Are the stripes in the Platinum pocket pen incised into the metal and then filled in with black (lacquer, I presume)? Or are they applied on the surface? I'm curious how the quality/workmanship of the stripes compare with the ones on the Pilot Myu that you posted a few days ago. 

Hi Paul

Yes of course, the stripes are incised. The Platinum is of highest quality:

51002482216_546a712049_o.jpg

C.

10 hours ago, Calabria said:

What nib do you use in your cp1? The standard steel or an upgrade?

Design ist fein.

I am using my first generation LAMY cp1 with the original steel nib. It's a quite nice writer.

Apropos cp1: Recently,  I tried together with some members of german penexchange.de to bring some order into the chronology of the different models of the cp1. The result is not yet complete, but nevertheless considerable and helpful as I think. I would therefore like to share a short summary with you.

The LAMY cp1 writing instruments were designed by Gerd A. Müller and were originally designed to compete with the slimmest pens, or even to be the slimmest fountain pen ever. LAMY even developped a new cartridge (T10) for this pen. The diamter of the early cp1 is equal with a common pencil!

50776631797_fcee18b477_k.jpg

Here comes the time table as a draft:

51001771588_7ac1056fd8_k.jpg

So, the very first LAMY cp1 fountain pen was the (slim) model 50 in brushed steel:

32272049362_6a093b9a40_k.jpg

The second variant was the model 58 in mat black

50779413363_1dcf96435e_k.jpg

after these two came the models 53 in sterlingsilver and 57 in white lacquer.

In 1983 (not confirmed) the pen was completely redesigned. The new model was thicker and longer. Feeder and nib were adopted from the Safari. Here is a comparison of the models 50 and 59:

51002832427_e9a3bdc9fb_b.jpg

The models before 1983 were delivered with a thin squeeze converter. Modern converters do not fit:

50775788523_1f25933395_k.jpg

I am not sure if the table is complete concerning the models after 1983. There are also some model numbers and dates missing. Hopefully, we can complete these one day.

C.

10 hours ago, inkstainedruth said:

"He must take after father's side of the family...." :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist.  I just got a French Blue Safari myself (not NOS, but in pretty decent shape -- and way cheaper than the NOS ones on the Bay of Evil are....).  And than last week I was in an antiques mall and was really tempted by a matryoshka set that was cats (but talked myself out of the purchase).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

No problem Ruth, your comments are welcome. To be honest, I told my daughter (9) to find an object with the matching colors light blue and red in our household to take a photograph togehter with the pen. The Matrjoschka was here choice and we both had a lot of fun taking this photograpyhy....

C.

@ inkstainedruth: A matryoshka set of cats and you didn't buy it and send it over to me?

Oh my....