Pen Photography

christof

After closing the thread: "What's up at Christof's?", I decided to start another continuos thread. In this thread, I will just show some pen photos from time to time and for example share my experience in photographing pens (since more than 12 years).

1. Focus Stacking (something new - at least to me...)

Over the years I developped my own way photographing pens. The result is a mixture of the technical possibilities available to me and my personal requirements for a "good" photo. Usually it looks like this for example:

50265689808_bef558c6b3_k.jpgSheaffer's Imperial III 1961 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

This is a purely documentary image, which is created always under the same conditions. So far, this is what I always wanted to...

...but sometimes,I have the desire for a little more atmosphere in my photos. Like these for example:

50254946251_e8342087e5_k.jpgOMAS Extra Lucens by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

48618638752_85801a0eb7_k.jpgLamy Safari Tray by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

But something I always find unsatisfactory. It's the lack of depth of field, even with the diaphragma of f=22 ! That's why I started experimenting with focus stacking and followed this instruction on the internet: https://create.adobe.com/2019/1/29/focus_stacking_in_ph.html

An here are some of the stacked photos:

50310557443_ae58e10e80_k.jpgPelikan Schildpatt by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50308765607_ffff8e99b7_k.jpgPlatinum Pocket Pen by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50311302927_af1cc1dc17_k.jpgPelikan Schildpatt by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

I am quite happy with the result, but let me explain that I am neither a photographic nor a technical nerd and I do not consider my photos to be art.
For me, photography is a tool of documentation. And in this context "focus-stacking" can be useful. No more and no less.
C.
Edited by christof

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• christof

• carola

• Beechwood

• Switala

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello:
Your photographs are one of the best we can see in our field. Your photos are not only illustrative or documentary, they are also beautiful and attractive.
I really enjoy watching your posts.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by Croma

Christof,

I'm sure I speak for many when I say I really appreciate the extraordinary efforts you have put forth in the past, and generously continue to do so in the present. Beauty and learning at the same time-what could be better? Many thanks.

Thank you for posting especially about this topic. We all stand to learn from your experience and expertise, none more than I.

It is no secret that I am a LAMY Safari addicted. During the last months I find the time to take some pictures of my Safari collection. Here comes just a selection for you:

50217516681_0ca5070af0_o.jpgLAMY Safari Savannagrün und Terrarot by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50217813597_5156c46680_o.jpgLamy Safari Savannagrün Box 2 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50210517327_2b1458dbd2_o.jpgLamy Safari by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50210526717_c56b5921dc_o.jpgLamy Safari Farbkreis 1 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50195927377_73cbafa445_o.jpgLAMY Safari by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50195666436_dcce89e410_o.jpgLAMY Safari by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

49709694032_5a17eb19f2_o.jpgLamy Safari Candy 2020 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50298354148_28b6593bd7_o.jpgLAMY Safari keyboard by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50297301333_a8aeac8447_o.jpgLAMY Safari Weiss_2 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50297169921_6eb39359b9_o.jpgLAMY Safari Apple Notebook by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50258080901_f94bf3e65d_o.jpgSafari Zwerg by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50224784338_33cc2709a1_o.jpgminus punkt plus by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50217609091_ff3b1caee1_o.jpgLamy Safari Colors by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50216845058_a0aa813a57_o.jpgLamy Safari Colors 3 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50216825963_3dd1ac3f41_o.jpgLamy Safari Colors 2 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

50079483271_aa2ca096b1_o.jpgGelb Yellow Jaune by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

49918412218_e7affbf574_o.jpgLamy Safari Umbra by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

49711641838_e1d338e93d_o.jpg40 Jahre Safari 2 by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

49712178666_2dd12f2f4d_o.jpgLamy Safari im Bad by C.M.Z, auf Flickr

C.

I understand the differences you wanted to establish with the older thread, due to the photography it is nice and great to look at... but i miss other pens and some drawings of the inside....

The Safari Weiss images are great, thanks for your pleasure and ours...

very very nice, this is where photography becomes art.

I am intrigued by the lack of shadows in your pictures. So the illumination must be very efficient and yet I do not see any unwanted reflections ... is that magic?

I understand the differences you wanted to establish with the older thread, due to the photography it is nice and great to look at... but i miss other pens and some drawings of the inside....

The Safari Weiss images are great, thanks for your pleasure and ours...

Thank you Ariel. Good to hear from you.

Well, I did no t say that I only will photograph Lamy Safari in the future...and I also didn't say that I will not post sketches anymore. I just run out of ideas and suitable pens at the moment for following the concept of what's up at C's...

That's why I was looking for something instagram like, but with better quality of photos (I don't use a smartphone for taking pictures).

In general, I am open for critic and ideas, but let's give this a chance for the moment. We will seenhow it works.

C.

No, it's technique. If you wish, I could explain a little bit when I find the time.

c.

That would be great. I guess it has to do with indirect illumination. I have experimented with the small photography tent in white fabric and also with white polysterene boxes to photograph pens but never seem to obtain efficient lighting. It works more or less in sunny daylight but it does not work with artificial illumination.

One of these days, I'm going to learn to make decent photos! These are great!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I just made a quick sketch of my photo setting:

50341496777_b8d39f49b0_b.jpg

The studio like setting is built to immitate strong but diffuse light.

I use really old gear, but since I am working in all manual mode, that's not a problem at all.

Now to avoid reflections, a polarisation filter can help. Photo without filter:

50341461992_6ea604fab5_k.jpg

Photo with filter:

50341461987_d1e609ae0c_k.jpg[/url]

But unfortunately, the polarisation filter does not work on metal surfaces...

...that's why I have to paint reflections on trim rings by hand:

50341461962_c8c9751dcc_b.jpg

It's a little bit of work, but for me, this works fine.

So you see that there is no great secret to get satisfying pictures. And no expensive equipment is necessary. Just a little practice, patience and experience. That is all.

C.

Edited by christof

Christof, thank you very much for that sketch/diagram, it makes it very clear.

I always want more, which in this case is understanding what's holding up the flash and the light diffuser (sorry if that's a stupid question, but I've never seen a light diffuser close up).

Christof, thank you very much for that sketch/diagram, it makes it very clear.

I always want more, which in this case is understanding what's holding up the flash and the light diffuser (sorry if that's a stupid question, but I've never seen a light diffuser close up).

Hi Paul

No problem, I 'm sorry if the sketch isn't clear, but here you can see a pictureof the Walimex Softbox:

https://www.walimex.biz/Walimex-pro-Softbox-60x60cm-fuer-Kompaktblitze

walimex-pro-softbox-60x60cm-fuer-kompakt

The diffusor sits directly on the card board box and has a support for the flash. Quite simple...

Hope this helps.

C.

It helps very much, and it makes perfect sense. This (understanding the setup) may be the kick in the slats I need to get myself started on proper pen photos instead of relying on my desk lamp and my phone. Thank you.