Ranga Abhimanyu Group Buy- Beautiful Ebonites -Excellent Nib Choices

mpkandan

Here are some photos of mine in Red Woodgrain with a GP Fine Bock nib. The quality is excellent. I love the fact that the cap comes off in less than one turn! Great pen, Mr. Kandan!

Thanks a lot Mr. Schulste Sir. Nice pictures.Your feedback is highly motivating us.

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mpkandan

• sansenri

• bbs

• BaronWulfraed

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Mr Kandan MP, I have bought (quite) a few Ranga pens from you before, but mostly to be compatible with JoWo or Bock nibs - partly because I prefer to use cartridge converters with my pens. It looks like you're now offering these pens with Ranga nibs AND a cartridge converter. Can I please confirm with you:

(1) Can I now order a pen with a Ranga screw-in nib AND a converter?

(2) Do the Ranga screw-in nibs come with ebonite or plastic feed?

(3) Can you swap the Ranga screw-in nibs for Bock or JoWo units? Or do they have their own unique threading?

I wasn't going to join this group buy, until you offered it it with Premium Acrylic options - now I'm not sure that I can resist!

I will send this by direct email also, but thought you might like to answer my questions for other group buy people too.

Thanks again for these group buys: they hurt my wallet, but they warm my heart!

Thanks Sir. You are welcome

(1) Can I now order a pen with a Ranga screw-in nib AND a converter? -Yes. All pens comes with German Schmidt K5 Converter

(2) Do the Ranga screw-in nibs come with ebonite or plastic feed? -Plastic feed

(3) Can you swap the Ranga screw-in nibs for Bock or JoWo units? Or do they have their own unique threading?-- It can be swapped with Jowo units

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Hmm, didnt mean to show two the same! One more go ... (thank you for your help, Sansenri!)

fpn_1601725083__c3b15b1a-ce99-4798-aba8-

nice choices. Your photo is still small, you can upload larger. so that when we click on it it is fills the screen.

Here is a example (not from this group buy)

the original size is 4500Kb the size reduction is to 600Kb, still rather large

fpn_1601847793__p1190140-ranga_8_mottled

try clicking on yours

then try on mine

Edited by sansenri

Following the unofficial rule that 'if there's no picture you don't have the pen'. Here are my pens along with a blue acrylic 8B for size comparison.

DSC00993.JPG

Thanks Sir. You are welcome

(1) Can I now order a pen with a Ranga screw-in nib AND a converter? -Yes. All pens comes with German Schmidt K5 Converter

(2) Do the Ranga screw-in nibs come with ebonite or plastic feed? -Plastic feed

(3) Can you swap the Ranga screw-in nibs for Bock or JoWo units? Or do they have their own unique threading?-- It can be swapped with Jowo units

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Thanks Mr Kandan MP, for some reason I didn't see your reply on this forum straight away - thanks for replying to my follow-up email!

For anyone who might be interested, an additional screw-in Ranga nib costs US$11 - I've ordered a monotone BB as an alternative to the two-tone flex nib that will come with my pen (olive-and-black acrylic). Can't wait to have this in hand!

Well, as threatened...

Top image has only white point, black point, white balance (using the paper between barrel and cap area as definition)

This is the Red-Woodgrain, fit with a Bock Titanium EF nib.

fpn_1602090655__ranga-natural.jpg

This is the same image with the Gamma adjusted to 1.75 (from normal 1.0) in an attempt to make some of the grain more visible.

Images were reduced from ~3800 to 1000 pixels width.

fpn_1602090814__ranga-gamma175.jpg

Well, as threatened...

Top image has only white point, black point, white balance (using the paper between barrel and cap area as definition)

This is the Red-Woodgrain, fit with a Bock Titanium EF nib.

fpn_1602090655__ranga-natural.jpg

This is the same image with the Gamma adjusted to 1.75 (from normal 1.0) in an attempt to make some of the grain more visible.

Images were reduced from ~3800 to 1000 pixels width.

fpn_1602090814__ranga-gamma175.jpg

Lovely. I was very much attracted by the woodgrain, but then went for another colour.

Still it looks nice, subtle, and different from other typical Ranga ebonite.

I bet taking a photo of this is difficult (the white background is not helping you, it raises the contrast vs the dark material, cameras are not so good with high contrasted subjects...)

Ok so here is my Abhimanyu

lighting was not the best (natural but very white light, difficult to get more contrast without the background becoming too dark)

I forget the name of the colour, it was one of the nice swirly premium ebonites, number was P23.

Nice body shape! I was afraid the step might be uncomfortable, it's not! the section is long enough not to find yourself with fingers on the step even if you hold pens somewhat high as I do.

The size is also really nice, almost portable, and the opening in less than one turn, very interesting!

Well done Ranga!

fpn_1602103885__p1190911-3_ranga_abhiman

Edited by sansenri

Anyone have the dimensions of the pen when it's uncapped?

Uncapped, including nib, 12.6 cm, same lengths as a Pelikan M600 uncapped

quick comparison

fpn_1602109417__abhimanyu.jpg

Edited by sansenri

Lovely. I was very much attracted by the woodgrain, but then went for another colour.

Still it looks nice, subtle, and different from other typical Ranga ebonite.

I bet taking a photo of this is difficult (the white background is not helping you, it raises the contrast vs the dark material, cameras are not so good with high contrasted subjects...)

If I were using my good camera(s) I'd likely also set up a static light source, and meter off a grey-card (using it to set both the exposure and white-balance).

Instead I've been using my cell-phone camera and ambient light (I'd tried force-flash, but that looked even worse). Then set white-balance in Photoshop, along with the end points of the black and white points.

While the amount of white paper did bias the exposure downwards a bit, the result is still close to neutral (it might be a high dynamic range, white background, dark pen) but it isn't over-exposing as would be likely if I'd used a grey-card for background.

If I were using my good camera(s) I'd likely also set up a static light source, and meter off a grey-card (using it to set both the exposure and white-balance).

Instead I've been using my cell-phone camera and ambient light (I'd tried force-flash, but that looked even worse). Then set white-balance in Photoshop, along with the end points of the black and white points.

While the amount of white paper did bias the exposure downwards a bit, the result is still close to neutral (it might be a high dynamic range, white background, dark pen) but it isn't over-exposing as would be likely if I'd used a grey-card for background.

yes, I myself don't have the patience any longer to set up a photographic set to shoot photos of my pens... although some would deserve.

I do keep a semi-good camera handy (Panasonic Lumix GX1 mirrorless 4/3) but especially a decent lens (Leica Macro-Elmarit Aspherical).

The photo in post 50 is in ambient light and the camera is handheld.

(the photo in post 51 is in artificial light with a cell phone...)

My acrylic abhimanyu (with Ranga flex nib) arrived yesterday - very impressed. Thanks to the Ranga Pen team!

fpn_1602686014__abhmanyu_01.jpg

fpn_1602686170__abhmanyu_02.jpg

Thanks a lot Mr. Jamerelbe for your nice words and nice pictures. We are glad that you like the Ranga Abhimanyu Pen

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen company

Dear All,

We are very happy to share this Ranga Abhimanyu review by Mr.Chris

Regards,

Kandan.M.P

Ranga Pen Company

Edited by mpkandan

My acrylic abhimanyu (with Ranga flex nib) arrived yesterday - very impressed. Thanks to the Ranga Pen team!

fpn_1602686014__abhmanyu_01.jpg

fpn_1602686170__abhmanyu_02.jpg

Very nice! It seems to have a purplish tone - is that correct?

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Very nice! It seems to have a purplish tone - is that correct?

To my eye (holding the pen in front of me), it looks more brown than purple. I believe Chrisrap's YouTube video (see above) shows a pen made from the same acrylic, but with a matte finish - that seems to me to capture the colour a little more reliably than my photo, sorry!